Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914-6 conversion procedure, Anybody written it up in detail w/ pics?
campbellcj
post Feb 8 2003, 10:12 AM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

I have been wondering what all is involved, labor-wise, and how much of it I could sanely tackle myself with my somewhat limited tools and mechanical capabilities.

The "parts-list" has been regurgitated over and over again, but I don't recall ever seeing a detailed write-up of the actual conversion procedure. Anybody know of one? I'd like to learn more about the oil tank installation, throttle cable setup, etc.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
J P Stein
post Feb 9 2003, 10:41 AM
Post #2

Irrelevant old fart

Group: Members
Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

If you're going to use the stock 6er tank, I can enlighten you a bit.
Oli lines are the biggest headache.
You are undoubtly gonna want an exerrnal cooler (if you don't , your engine will (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ). Braided lines (or maybe some of them Teflon covered jobbies) are gonna require
2 AN to metric adaptors. One on the inlet to the tank, one on the engine...scavenge side. (Otto's got em')Even if you don't put on an ex.cooler, the AN lines will allow you to break into the lines at some future date.....after the engine gets too damn hot (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
Summit or Racers Warehouse (Wholesale?) for lines and fittings.

The feed side is pretty straight forward. A rubber, 2 piece line is available. Tank to below the cooler...metric fittings. Otto's can do the cooler mod. The rubber line sold these days is almost the right length....just a bit long. As a result, it tends to wanna collapse/kink. Hose clamps (I use 3) will prevent this. Smart Camber sells a support to prevent this, also. You DON'T want this line to collapse durring high suction conditions.

You also wanna take a look at an exploded view of the stock tank install. There are rubber isolators at the mounting studs....also at the feed line at the bottom, which doubles as a mounting point.....don't pass these up. The exploded view also shows all the stuff needed at the oil filter console.

Vent the tank to a catch can. I put mine in the rear trunk.
The oil tank WILL pump out oil while racin'.

Peice of cake, eh?

BTW, while I have the car up in the air, are there any specific pics you want?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 05:23 PM