Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Pauter, Rollers and all, an alternative to a /6?
redshift
post Aug 30 2003, 04:53 PM
Post #1

Bless the Hell out of you!

Group: Members
Member No.: 869

With their pro-drag /4 motors putting out nearly 1000hp, could a mild one be built to street for a similar budget as a /6?

I haven't seen any mention of pricing anywhere. (I have a bucket ready to puke in (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif))

I think they look like art.

M
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Aug 30 2003, 07:48 PM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

You might be able to build a hi-po Pauter motor for about the same cost as a 3.0 Six. But the Pauter stuff is optimized for 8-10 second runs, 1320 feet long. They get "freshened" every 10 or 20 passes. I don't think rebuilding an engine every 5-10 miles is that great an idea...

Lotsa custom work to fit it in a Type IV. They "claim" to have T-IV stuff, but most of it is T-I stuff with slightly different bolt patterns. If that. Notice that their "type IV" heads have exhaust ports fore and aft, not at the bottom. ... And so on.

The roller rockers are not self-oiling and don't have any provision for getting oil to any of the rest of the head. So you have to come up with something for that (spray bars?) or live with the notion that you have to replace parts up that-a-way frequently.

All-out drag motors make really sucky street motors. Even worse than real race motors (e.g., for road-racing).

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 04:22 AM