Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> need wheels/tires, ...autocrossing
Schnell944
post Mar 10 2003, 03:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 86

hey all. I'm getting my car ready for the autocross season and am new to the 914 scene. i was wondering what you guys consider from experience to be a good, relatively low budget, autocross wheel/tire setup. im prob. looking to buy used, and yes, ill be looking at the classifides here....i just would like some background info to help me with the choice....and if anyone knows of a set available please let me know! thanks! btw, this is a '72 914 1.7L w/o any mods.

Ryan Z
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
Dave_Darling
post Mar 11 2003, 11:33 AM
Post #2

914 Idiot

Group: Members
Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Do you have two sets of wheels so you can swap to "race tires" and then back to "street tires"? Are you running in a class that requires "street tires", or just "DOT-rated tires"?

If you have two sets of wheels and can use DOT-rated "sticky" tires, those offer by far the best grip. They're pretty poor as street tires, as they don't last and are uncomfortable and loud, and can be dangerous in the wet and disastrous if you ever hit snow. The A032Rs are the least sticky of the sticky-tire set but last by far the longest. They're fine for learning on. The Kumho Victoracers are the least expensive, middling grip, and middling lifespan. Hoosiers are expensive, don't last at all, and grip like crazy! I don't know who's running BFG R1s any more...

For a "street tire", the Azenis is one of the kings of dry grip. The only real competition that I've read of for it costs quite a bit more. They don't last as long as most street tires, but a lot longer than the "sticky" tires. And there are other good options for street-type tires as well, but the Azenis seem to be a really good way to go for cheap traction.

--DD
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
Schnell944   need wheels/tires   Mar 10 2003, 03:12 PM
Dave_Darling   Version 1--Steel 914 wheels, 5.5x15" with about 4 ...   Mar 10 2003, 04:21 PM
Bleyseng   Stay in stock class to start which usually limits ...   Mar 10 2003, 07:32 PM
mskala   Where Ryan is running there is no limit to tires o...   Mar 10 2003, 08:42 PM
Bleyseng   Ahhhh, if he can run the 205x50's do it for th...   Mar 10 2003, 09:31 PM
kdfoust   I'd stay with OE type wheels unless you want t...   Mar 11 2003, 10:34 AM
Lawrence914-6   I have to agree with KD in his analysis. Fuchs ar...   Mar 11 2003, 10:40 AM
Porsche Rescue   If you want something a bit different, take a look...   Mar 11 2003, 11:15 AM
Part Pricer   What about tires for AX? I'm running 4-bolt 15...   Mar 11 2003, 11:18 AM
Dave_Darling   Do you have two sets of wheels so you can swap to ...   Mar 11 2003, 11:33 AM
Scott  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2024 - 06:23 AM