Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> HOW do i get my frozen R calipers unstuck from my rotorz?
Schump
post Feb 26 2007, 03:51 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,570

I have a '73 2.0 i'm parting out, and my rear calipers are uberfrozen to the newish rear rotors.
anyone have a good way to get the pistons to slide back through their original hard as hell rubber seals and unseat so they'll loosen up enough to remove the calipers?
i've already loosened the e brake adjustment nut and of course loosened the bleeders! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
thanx a lot
914 addict
soon enough to buy another one...w/o factory rust for a mutant V8 mod....
after I turbocharge/intercool/big brake etc my just bought $500 88 jetta Gli w/ factory recaros etc... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rocking nana.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies
davep
post Feb 26 2007, 04:23 PM
Post #2

914 Historian

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,244
Region Association: Canada

The parking brake needs to be loosened off, and this can be very tricky. on the outside of each rear caliper there should be a plastic cover over the adjuster; use a 13mm wrench. Then you should see a 13mm nut on a threaded adjuster. Use a 4mm Allen key to hold the adjuster while loosening the nut about 2 turns only. Turn the Allen key clockwise to pull the piston back into the bore. Whatever you do, don't force the adjuster.

Use penetrating spray on the pad pins. Remove the wire clips. Use a small punch that will fit through the outer holes of the pin bores. Use a bit of heat, penetrating spray, and the punch with a hammer to knock the pins out the back side of the caliper. Remove the sheet metal spring under the pins. Don't lose the pins, clips or springs since you may not be able to replace them easily. Try forcing the pads away from the rotor with a wedge and a hammer (a flat screwdriver blade works good). Don't worry about damaging the rotor, they are not as valuable as the caliper. Always work between the pads and rotor. Try forcing the pad up and out of the caliper with a wedge between the pad and the hat of the rotor. Once the rotor is free to turn, then you can remove the caliper.

Yes, there is another adjuster on the back side of the caliper, but I don't suggest working on that until the caliper is off of the car.

Heat, penetrating spray, and careful use of a hammer will work.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=62997
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 03:42 AM