Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> New Member Hello and Question, '73 Front Hood Release Handle issue
flat4tom
post Jan 13 2010, 01:22 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,207
Region Association: Northern California

Hello all,

Well, alot has changed since I last had a 914 - there was only one website, now there's two. I seemed to have missed out on that drama...anyway, this is my first post to this website. Funny story, I sold my 914 about 5 years ago to pay some bills off...bummer. About a month ago I got a really bad itch for a 914 again...

After looking for several weeks, and not really finding anything in my price range that was in a condition I would buy...my wife suggests, "why don't you contact the guy who bought yours and see if he still has it and would be interested in selling it back to you?". I thought OK I really loved that 914, I still have his email address so I shot off an email asking about it. To my surprise he replied! He did still have the car, it has not been driven in two years because he could not get the front hood open and it developed a fuel leak up front...and wait for it...

Yes, he would like to sell it, and would sell it cheap to get it out of his garage! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

One thing led to another, we made a deal, and I'm picking up my old 914 from him this weekend!! Even though it does not run, I'm excited to see it again. I know with some help from here, I can get her running again. He said that it was in the same basic condition it was in (really nice!) when he bought it from me but that he underestimated what it would take to maintain the car. He'd only driven it about 1K miles the whole time he had owned it.

So, here's my first problem. The front hood release handle. In speaking with him he told me that he had been fiddling with the front hood release handle lock - which I never was able to get to lock - well, he got it to lock, but then he could not get it to unlock!! Crap! He then told me that he proceeded to drill the lock out of the handle. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) He can not get the handle to pull out.

So, I need to replace this whole assembly. How do I get this handle apart and get the hood open? I know I can remove the front bumper to get the hood open that way, but I need to replace the handle he has drilled out. How does this assembly come apart so I can replace it??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for reading.
Tom
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 07:42 PM