Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Introduction & transmission question, '72, 1.7 (mostly white)
Goape
post Aug 6 2004, 11:53 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,464

Hi all,

Just a quick note to introduce myself. I recently got my first teener ('72, 1.7) and have been getting it up and running over the last few months (it had been sitting in a yard for the longest time when I rescued it). My addiction is already pretty bad (thanks to this BBS and all the great advice I've gathered from it - yes, i have to admit to being a former lurker (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) ). Anyway, the engines running fairly well now but im still having transmission issues. Ive read / followed the advice of many on this board (and over at Pelican's too) with regard to replacing bushing and most of the slop has gone. However, 1st gear is still giving me grief. Ive adjusted the shifter using both the Haynes approach and also red beard's info which has helped with the shifting overall but first wont engage (even when the cars slowing down). I have been able to partly engage 1st from a stop if I push the lever into place and hold it there but the gear wont engage (lots of nice grinding follows). So my question is should I continue my regular adjusting / heavy drinking regime until i can get it just right or is it time to rip into a rebuild (at least of 1st gear)?
Any advice will be gratefully received.

Cheers,

Matt (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif)

ps. I'll post a picture as soon as I get chance (the car is in a bit of state at the moment, but Im hoping to make her more presentable as soon as I have the time and money)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2024 - 02:07 PM