Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> 914 lays down..., a newbie needs some advice...
splashfx
post Aug 9 2004, 02:57 PM
Post #1

Dismember

Group: Members
Member No.: 875

Hey guys and ladies,

I have had my 914 for over a year now, but hate to admit that it's spent most of that time in storage. Last Friday I decided to drive it to work (about 45 miles one way). It went to work and almost all the way home before suddenly (and I do mean suddenly) two cylinders stopped firing. I suspect that it has fouled the plugs - but I haven't had a chance to check it yet.

Okay, so I trailered it home and it's now in the shop. I was planning to check the plugs, and do a valve adjustment (...just because I know it hasn't been done while I've had it). I don't believe that the problems have anything to do with the electrical - I put on a Pertronix Ignitor and new plugs and wires last summer. Also, I plan to look over the vacuum on the motor and see if I can find any leaks.

I'm also suspect of the fuel injection system. I'm almost convinced to rip it off and put a set of carbs on it. It doesn't seem to idle correctly, and quite often seems to be very rich (black smoke).

Any other educated guesses? I would love an expert opinion in this matter, since I'm a complete novice to these air-cooled devils and especially on the FI.

Thanks guys (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
splashfx   914 lays down...   Aug 9 2004, 02:57 PM
!   Depends on what 2 plugs fouled....could be trigger...   Aug 9 2004, 03:09 PM
splashfx   FYI, it's a 1.8 with L-Jet (assuming it wasn...   Aug 9 2004, 03:11 PM
Eric_Ciampa   Need more information... I have a 1.8L and what i ...   Aug 9 2004, 03:40 PM
splashfx   Thanks for the replys and I'll try to get more...   Aug 9 2004, 03:58 PM
!   Get your brakes up to snuff before throwing on BMW...   Aug 9 2004, 04:10 PM
seanery   I've had injectors just work loose. I was worr...   Aug 9 2004, 04:21 PM
Dave_Darling   There are some L-jet articles over on http://www.t...   Aug 9 2004, 06:41 PM
Ctrout   I'll guarantee you that your pedal won't r...   Aug 9 2004, 06:52 PM
ArtechnikA  

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2024 - 06:39 AM