Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> ARGH! Broken shift rod..., ...one step back
ambergris
post Nov 15 2004, 07:12 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,145
Region Association: Northern California

In my quest to clean up the shifting action on my 74 2.0L, I decided to rebuild the tranny. My first time doing something like this, and I thought it turned out pretty well. I think I have a leak at the speedo drive, but the grinds in 2nd and 3rd disappeared. Shifting was pretty good, and I was able to hit all the gears I intended to on my test run at first. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
But then the slop came back, and I found myself having a hard time finding 4th and 5th. I was giving the "pot of gears" a lot of stirring to find anything. I assumed I had to fine-tune my shift rod alignment. So I got back home and started playing with the alignment when POP! the shifter came totally loose. I thought I had lost a cone set screw or something, until I looked under the car.
It looks like my shift rod came apart! It looks like there's a tack weld or something that came undone. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
So now, I have a couple of questions:
1. Is it possible that this is what was causing my shift slop?
2. Are there any special considerations when getting this fixed? Can I just take the 2 peices to any body shop and ask them to re-weld it? Or this my opportunity to buy a welder and learn a new skill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

One step forward and one back again.
Oh, and does anyone know what's going on with the JWest RennShift "Extreme Makeover"? I was looking at maybe getting one once I get this taken care of, and the site has sales suspended.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
ambergris   ARGH! Broken shift rod...   Nov 15 2004, 07:12 PM
vsg914   It's happened to me. The two parts are only ta...   Nov 15 2004, 07:15 PM
!   Yup easy fix....once when I was in band camp and i...   Nov 15 2004, 07:19 PM
9146986   That's why I pretty much weld that up solid wh...   Nov 15 2004, 08:53 PM
ChrisReale   <...   Nov 15 2004, 10:30 PM
DJsRepS   You better hope there is not so much protective co...   Nov 16 2004, 04:52 AM
DJsRepS   I havent put my pelican bushing shift kit in yet. ...   Nov 16 2004, 04:57 AM
ambergris   Super cool. Thanks for all the responses, folks. ...   Nov 16 2004, 11:06 AM

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2024 - 05:33 AM