Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Can You See Me Smile!?, First drive this evening - and it's fantastic!
thieuster
post Jun 8 2015, 12:59 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,384
Region Association: Europe

As per title: I took my 914 out for the first time. And, my first drive in a 914. In fact in any Porsche! And... I love it!

Over the last few months, we (the guys at the workshop and I) have been busy rebuilding the engine. It started as a small job - just replacing the pushrod tube seals... it ended as a full fletch: 'the engine is out and why not tackle all?' job.

In the mean time, we searched high and low for rust. And, due to the fact that the car was treated with ML Tectyl (A Swedish wax brand) when it was new, all we had to do was touching up some paint. (3M stone chip coating + a respray). Oh well, I've written about it all. And a respray of the boot under the spare tire.

So, after dinner, I took my daily driver down to the workshop and pulled the car out for a spin. A short spin. The tires on the rims are old, very old... the production date was 1977! 38 y/o tires indeed. The new Vredesteins will arrive tomorrow.

The car runs fine. Some hesitation at low speed, but I don't know how old the fuel in the tank really is! New fuel does cure this sort of problems when I pull my Triumph TR out of hibernation. So there's a chance that it will be gone with new fuel. But the sound when hitting the >4K rpm! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Two questions after the 10 mile trip: the engine temp gauge works - more or less. The needle lifts starts to move, but stops at the very beginning of the scale. Any idea?
Second, the car needs to be 'pointed': steering is not slack, I think. The front end feel light and wanders (is that the correct phrase in English?) a little. Perhaps fresh tires will cure this. Must add that we've lowered the front end about 1 - 1.5". So perhaps a wheel alignement will also help. Any thoughts?

And then the pics, taken in front of the workshop, only minutes after the trip!

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789940.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789940.2.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i211.photobucket.com-18384-1433789941.3.jpg)

Since the paint looks good from a 20 ft distance, I am considering leaving the hub caps off, giving the car a more or less Outlaw look. Again, any thoughts?

Menno
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2024 - 09:16 AM