Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> How to change a 3port fuelpump setup to a 2port pump, I thought to write it down for the next person....
Frankvw
post May 4 2020, 01:06 PM
Post #1

working on my first 914 !

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,896
Region Association: Europe

So, after my original 3port fuelpump started to leak, and I found out how much another 3port would cost me, I decided to go for the 2port fuelpump setup.
I did check the 914worls forums and from there, I figured out what to do for my car. I had all info complete so I decided to document it for others that need to do this work. It is really straightforward, but only if you know what to do.
No special tools were really needed.

Disconnect the battery. You will spill fuel. You will smell like fuel afterwards (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

My car is a 1973 1.7 and the 3port pump is already at the firewall.
My lines are the original sizes. If you have the cool stainless lines installed already as replacement for the nylonlines, the sizes of your lines must be checked so you buy the correct diameter fuelhose. Also...Buy correct and enough hoseclamps. In my pic I have some clamps I do not really like, so I have re-used some of the old clamps that came from the original setup.

What did I need / buy?
Attached Image
The Boschpump was ordered in USA (way cheaper) and had partnr 69133. It is a Bosch with Boschnr 0 580 464 109

The 8 mm adapter is if you use your fuellines as they are and then you use it in the returnline, then you replace the 3way adapter with the 8mm adapter, discarding the 3rd line taht goes back to the pump (since a 2way pump does not have that).

But when I was under the car, I decided to replace all the rubber fuellines, so I did not use the 8mm adapter but put a 1 piece new hose as returnline.
So...if you just replace the pump, you can use the 8mm adapter in your lines, otherwise it is better to have a new one piece hose. It is an extra adapter less and also two clamps less.

I created:
Attached Image
The returnline is not in the pic. that is a 8mm one piece fuelhose from the returnline of the enginebay to the returnline of the tank, and not using the 8mm adapter.
The line to the engine is still long in this pic, I did shorten it when I put it under the car, at that point Inknew what lenght I really needed.
If you are not sure which line is the feedingline or the returline from the enginebay when you are under the car, the line that goes from the enginebay to the 3way adapter is the returnline.

I also created:
Attached Image
This made possible to keep the original connector in place and use this wiring adapter as a bridge between the pump and that connector. that way I did not have to cut it off. I know...it looks not really professional and should be more cleanly put together. the connector on the loom is not marked with + or -, but there is a brown (ground) and a red/black (12V after key) wire on it.

What about that piece of rubber from Franks Boot ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Well...the original 3way pump was sightly bigger (fatter) than the 2way pump, and since I used the original pumpbracket, it was kind of loose-ish. I needed some rubber to fill it up and that also stops vibrations a lot. The issue was that I did not buy some rubber. I had to improvise. I cut a piece from the top of my rubberboot I saw standing in the garage and used it for that purpose. Fits perfectly ! I think my wife will wonder what the #@# happened to my boot when she finds out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)
Attached Image

so, this is what was removed and replaced with above:
No, this is not that monster from War of the Worlds, but the original 3port fuelpump setup that came out of the car.
Attached Image

After this work, I tested my work. Battery connected again....when turning the key to contact, also this 2way setup primes the pump, that is still the same. I started the car to test and had 2 small fire extinguisher around the car......you never know, right ? How cool is it that it works after this work done under the car ? . My wife does not understand that I am happy if a car starts. You will understand...

My first 914, so a bit proud of the work. And I hope it will help others that want to do the conversion.
I think this is a good moment to use the dancing banana for the first time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

And any feedback or comment is welcome, I also have to learn a lot !
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 11:17 AM