Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Steering Rack Install, Tips or Tricks
DennisV
post Jan 1 2024, 08:54 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 24,575
Region Association: Northern California

Are there any tips or tricks to reinstalling the steering rack?

I rebuilt ours and attempted to get it back in over the weekend. I could never get the shaft from the steering rack to align well enough with the universal joint to insert it. I was in the passenger compartment and had a helper under the car supporting the rack. With the bellows, gasket, etc. on there it took a little bit of effort to hold it up far enough to meet the bottom of the knuckle joint. The joint is still attached to the upper shaft connected to the steering wheel.

Nothing on the rack other than what is shown. The bolt is out of the universal joint. The gas tank is out. The bearing support bracket (in the gas tank area) is removed. All of the suspension is out. So the only thing I'm really contending with in terms of clearance is the brake master cylinder.

Is this just a try, try again scenario, or am I overlooking something? Seems like it should be a 10 minute job.
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2024 - 05:51 PM