Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Build Thread: Committed to getting it finished, If this goes to the top of the feed, I'm asking more questions
McLovin
post Jun 10 2024, 01:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 20,360
Region Association: South East States

Hey guys,

If you're on Facebook, you might have seen my thread in one of the groups. Here's a quick run-down.

About 5 or 6 years ago, I sold off an Oval VW to buy a 914. It was supposed to show up turn-key, but the brakes were sticking and it had an oil leak, plus an open title. I took the car anyway. Despite this, the car is beautiful...it had a new paint job and the interior was redone. Unfortunately, at that point, it languished in my garage. I didn't have a jack to get it off the ground and didn't have time (or much money) to work on it. Days turned into weeks, and weeks to months...you know how it goes. During that time, a mouse chewed on my gas line, so I had to cut it and drain it. I would start the car here and there, but then the carb sprung a leak, making that dangerous to do in my garage. Finally the sticking brake was bad enough that I had to cut the brake line to roll it out of my garage and my family slowly buried the car under layers of storage stuff. A couple of years ago, I found the inspiration to get the title transferred to my name.

I toyed with the idea of trading it for an early VW bug. Mostly just to buy something I felt more confident in working on. I think the Type IV engine threw off my confidence a little. I went back and forth over what to do.

Although I've watched tons of 914 videos on youtube and old VW videos, I couldn't make up my mind on how to proceed (at least not enough to get off of dead center).

Until, I saw this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsA5CggpUSA

It's my car's twin, a green '75, driven kind of hard. It rekindled my spirit.

So I'm back. And lately I've been watching restoration videos. Those really helped me, because I saw that there's nothing mysterious under that sheet metal that I haven't encounted before in the old days working on beetles. Most imporantly I want to do the work...for the sake of the work itself.

So I've purchased a pair of metal ramps on FB marketplace and ordered a decent racing jack on Amazon. I should get it on Father's day. But then I actually did something. I took off the horn button to figure out how to put on a smaller steering wheel that I bought 5 years ago. I also need to reglue the vinyl onto the sail (I have questions about that procedure).

Since this post is super long and nobody reads this far anyway, I'll tell you my ultimate goal. I'm in my very late 50's. I want to get the 914 on the road, and start doing club events and turn it into a reliable gem. My amazing wife, sympathetic to my plight of trying to decide between a beetle and a finshed 914, told me that if we rip down a horrible nightmare of a tree in the backyard, I can use that space to keep an old beetle...maybe like a 36 hp ragtop project car that I can take my time doing a pan off restoration before, or just after, I retire. So I'll ride off into the sunset with two minty air cooled german cars...that's my dream.

So I'll keep you guys updated as I go along. Thanks for reading.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
5 User(s) are reading this topic (5 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 7th September 2024 - 08:58 PM