Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> I am soooooo happy...., Niggling problem found and fixed
porsche735
post Sep 12 2003, 10:49 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 127

So, after 7 years of blowing up pistons and mis-diagnosis, we have finally figured out what our problem was. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) We found that even though our distributor was rebuilt and the curve tested, all that was tested was the mechanical advance. Our vacuum advance/retard canister turned out to have a leak on the retard side. This caused us to have about 40 degrees advance at points. Seems we should see about 33-35 total advance maximum (duh 27 adv with disconnect plus the 8 degrees of vacuum advance..http://www.dgi.net/914/tech/distrib.html). We are getting the new part this morning to cure this once and for all.
It has been very expensive over the years with the multiple rebuilds we have gone through (a few thousand). All for a $95 part.
One question I still have is about these A1 cardone remanufactured distributors. I got mine rebuilt by a shop and am buying a new vacuum canister. It seems like you could use this:
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDetails.as...ype=218&PTSet=A

All I have found is the one for a 1.7L, but it seem sto come with the vacuum canister AND trigger points (same as 2.0L) for $51.99 plus $1 core at my local Kragen. This sounds too good to be true as the trigger points and canister are each about $100. Obviously, the canister is probably used, but tested to spec... but gosh...

Has anyone gone this route? You would have to throw away the distributor on the 2 liter cars, but seems worth it if you need either of the other parts. Are the trigger points new?

Anyone with first hand knowledge of this?

Chris
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th October 2024 - 04:51 PM