Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> banged up grease cap, replaced rotor and bearings
BigDBass
post Jun 10 2006, 05:42 PM
Post #1

Dumb Question Champion

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,405
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Working on front brakes/rotors/bearings, etc.

Calipers were supposed to be here but didn't show up.

I had help putting in bearing races and some orientation and all that.
Mounted the rotors, put in outer bearing and washer, installed retaining nut thing finger tight, tightened the allen, and greased it a bit.

Then got stuck trying to "tap on grease cap with soft faced hammer" trying a rubber mallet then a regular household hammer with a rag wrapped around it but it was basically going on flush only on one side . Called auggie91420 and he said just bang the crap out of it. So I did so and the grease cap is no longer domed or shapely at all. How bad is that? Do I now need to track another one down?

Sorta got it on all the way, but then the rotor wouldn't spin freely. It would bind in one spot, so I backed off the cap a bit. It doesn't make much sense to me that the cap could interfere with the rotor spinning?

Should the cap (rubber seal part) be flush with the rotor or should there still be a gap? I still have a gap there, and if I put the cap on any tighter/deeper the rotor binds. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 12:42 AM