Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Trouble shooting the Fuel Injection, Checking the volts and resistance on a D-Jet 1.7 '70
BMXerror
post Oct 17 2009, 02:22 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,842

When you checked for injector pulse, did you actually pull the injectors and check for fuel coming out? If so, then you can eliminate any 'no fuel pressure' theories. Go back to basics. Air, fuel, spark, timing. Try to steer clear of wild, convoluted theories. They're usually bunk.
So has the engine not run in 20 years, or was it running before you messed with the CHT sensor?
Mark D.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Oct 17 2009, 02:37 PM
Post #22

Sorry. Didn't see your post about not being able to register any fuel pressure on the gauge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) The 'keep it simple' advice still applies. How did you check the injector pulse before?
Mark D.
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Oct 17 2009, 04:41 PM
Post #23

Advertise Your Drive...

Member No.: 3,456
Region Association: None

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Oct 17 2009, 01:37 PM) *

Sorry. Didn't see your post about not being able to register any fuel pressure on the gauge. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif) The 'keep it simple' advice still applies. How did you check the injector pulse before?
Mark D.

Mark... I checked the pulse with a LED light. But I did find a kink in the line under the car. I went to the store and purchased a coupler and added some more line. I do have pressure now, but it will still not start. Should the fuel system maintain pressure when turned off? The gauge went to 55psi or so and then dropped to zero in about 5-8 seconds.

Thanks...
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Oct 17 2009, 04:43 PM
Post #24

Advertise Your Drive...

QUOTE(tod914 @ Oct 17 2009, 01:07 PM) *

You should be able to peek in the tank with a light and see if the filter sock is clogged. The AAR works off of the same fuse as the pump. But, it would more than likely blow the fuse if it was shorting out. Couldn't hurt to unplug the AAR to test. Sound like a clog or misrouteing. You mentioned in the other thread the fuel system was removed. You can try swapping the lines inside the engine bay by the battery tray where they attach to the plastic lines (feed and return). If they are swapped, you will not get pressure. Pelican has a fuel routing diagram too if you need it.

The AAR warms-up when connected to battery... warm closes and opens when cooled down. Should it warm-up just with the ignition turned on?
+Quote Post
swl
post Oct 17 2009, 05:04 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 4,550
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(tabs914 @ Oct 17 2009, 02:41 PM) *

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Oct 17 2009, 01:37 PM) *

Mark D.

Mark... I checked the pulse with a LED light. But I did find a kink in the line under the car. I went to the store and purchased a coupler and added some more line. I do have pressure now, but it will still not start. Should the fuel system maintain pressure when turned off? The gauge went to 55psi or so and then dropped to zero in about 5-8 seconds.

Thanks...

28psi is what you are looking for. sounds like the return is kinked too.
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Oct 17 2009, 05:14 PM
Post #26

Advertise Your Drive...

I'll go check again... should the pressure drop suddenly like it is?
+Quote Post
swl
post Oct 17 2009, 05:34 PM
Post #27

yep - nothing to hold it up.
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Oct 17 2009, 05:42 PM
Post #28

Advertise Your Drive...

Sorry miss read...28-29 and the gauge has a small leak...
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Oct 17 2009, 06:24 PM
Post #29

Advertise Your Drive...

GOOD NEWS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The spark looked a little weak, so I replaced the coil and she started right up. Seems to be running a bit rich though. I checked the plugs and they are covered with carbon powder. I have only checked one of them so far...

+Quote Post
BMXerror
post Oct 17 2009, 06:36 PM
Post #30

QUOTE(tabs914 @ Oct 17 2009, 05:24 PM) *

GOOD NEWS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif) The spark looked a little weak, so I replaced the coil and she started right up. Seems to be running a bit rich though. I checked the plugs and they are covered with carbon powder. I have only checked one of them so far...

That's awesome news! If spark was your problem, she may just need to blow some excess crap out of the engine. Take her out and run her a bit and the exhaust may clean up some. And enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Mark D.
+Quote Post
tabs914
post Oct 17 2009, 07:11 PM
Post #31

Advertise Your Drive...

QUOTE(BMXerror @ Oct 17 2009, 05:36 PM) *

QUOTE(tabs914 @ Oct 17 2009, 05:24 PM) *

That's awesome news! If spark was your problem, she may just need to blow some excess crap out of the engine. Take her out and run her a bit and the exhaust may clean up some. And enjoy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Mark D.

I just need to free the rear brakes. problem is there are wheel locks on the car and I can't get the rear wheels off. The key I have isn't the right pattern ...arg!
+Quote Post
swl
post Oct 18 2009, 06:39 AM
Post #32

If the cht was failing that might account for the richness. You may have already fixed that with the new one.

You might find 'Just free the rear brakes' more than a quick fix. If they are the brakes that have been sitting for 20 years you really need to rebuild them.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 04:33 AM