Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> my front mounted oil cooler, a little different
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 28 2009, 06:10 PM
Post #21

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

Thanks everyone for the feedback it is appreciated. You've given me a few ideas about the clamp mounts that I may incorporate. Just a few things.
1. This is not a race car, as I stated in my original post it is street , AX and DE.
2. Yes I may incorporate a chin bar to be safe. However the bottom of the cooler is over 6 1/2 inches off the pavement. Yes I could hit a street curb but it's going to hit the suspension pieces also and I've never had that happen in any car I've driven.
3. I don't accept that just because the oil lines are exposed that they are an accident waiting to happen. The oil lines on almost every 911 since 1970 has oil lines exposed on the outside of the passenger side rocker. Yes they are hard bronze lines but they are right in line with debris flying off the front right tire.
4. As stated Porsche did install a front cooler just like I have on the 914 GT but yes they also mounted them in the trunk. So that's a push ?
5. My 911SC is set to Euro height and I have a AC belly condensor that is almost the full width of the car mounted directly under the seats. It is exactly 4 inches off the pavement. I've been running this car with this condensor at this height for aprox. 3 years and have never even scraped it on anything. That includes AX and DE.

Just saying I did my homework and for me I have a good solution based on my experiences with my 911 and other Porsches. It doesn't mean I'm right and time will tell if I am. It's all good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 28 2009, 06:59 PM
Post #22

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 28 2009, 04:10 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the feedback it is appreciated. You've given me a few ideas about the clamp mounts that I may incorporate. Just a few things.
1. This is not a race car, as I stated in my original post it is street , AX and DE.

Doesn't matter, track is track. And off-track excursions can happen anytime you're on a track. And have seen how much damage a cone can inflict at 50 mph? I have... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

2. Yes I may incorporate a chin bar to be safe. However the bottom of the cooler is over 6 1/2 inches off the pavement. Yes I could hit a street curb but it's going to hit the suspension pieces also and I've never had that happen in any car I've driven.

A cone stands taller, and going off-track at speed can encounter all manner of low lying obstacles.

-Josh2
+Quote Post
jhadler
post Oct 28 2009, 07:10 PM
Post #23

Long term tinkerer...

Member No.: 529

Still... I love the look, and the best part is that it doesn't cut any big holes...

-Josh2
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Oct 28 2009, 07:39 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980

QUOTE(jhadler @ Oct 28 2009, 04:59 PM) *

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 28 2009, 04:10 PM) *

Doesn't matter, track is track. And off-track excursions can happen anytime you're on a track. And have seen how much damage a cone can inflict at 50 mph? I have... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

A cone stands taller, and going off-track at speed can encounter all manner of low lying obstacles.

-Josh2

Yes things can happen you can't plan for every " what if ". To be honest I went " off " at turn one at Sebring in my 911SC. Was going about 60 mph and went over the curb and did some off roading. Didn't hit the wall and neither my belly AC condensor, front AC condensor or my chin spoiler were damaged. I inspected both condensors and neither had any scrape marks on them. Both of these items aprox. 2 inches lower than my oil cooler on the 914. And remember I'm going to " box in " the cooler with a sheet metal shroud similiar to early RS 911's so it will be protected. Plus a screen will be in front of the cooler.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 28 2009, 08:22 PM
Post #25

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I do some thinking also. I passed this way bout 10 years back. Everything is out of harms way. The spare is gone tho..... a small inconvience. I haven't had a flat in 30 years. If you think you have it handled, it must be true.
An old pic

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Oct 29 2009, 12:03 AM
Post #26

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

Crappy pic, but you get the idea ...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
john rogers
post Oct 29 2009, 12:43 AM
Post #27

Member No.: 391

There is a huge difference between breaking open your A/C system if it should ever happen and the oil system. There was a very nice 911 totaled at the PCA CA Speedway race last year due to oil dropped from a car in front when a filter seal failed at speed going into turn one. It was a fine German oil filter if I was told right? The front mounted coolers all had protective louvered covers as stock I think to protect them, at least our 930 did.
+Quote Post
oldschool
post Oct 29 2009, 01:52 AM
Post #28

Advanced Member

Member No.: 9,705
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Oct 28 2009, 05:10 PM) *

3. I don't accept that just because the oil lines are exposed that they are an accident waiting to happen. The oil lines on almost every 911 since 1970 has oil lines exposed on the outside of the passenger side rocker. Yes they are hard bronze lines but they are right in line with debris flying off the front right tire.
4. As stated Porsche did install a front cooler just like I have on the 914 GT but yes they also mounted them in the trunk. So that's a push ?
5. My 911SC is set to Euro height and I have a AC belly condensor that is almost the full width of the car mounted directly under the seats. It is exactly 4 inches off the pavement. I've been running this car with this condensor at this height for aprox. 3 years and have never even scraped it on anything. That includes AX and DE.

Just saying I did my homework and for me I have a good solution based on my experiences with my 911 and other Porsches. It doesn't mean I'm right and time will tell if I am. It's all good. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Right on man (a man with experience is never at the mercy of a man with a argument)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Oct 29 2009, 07:22 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 9,209

QUOTE(jmill @ Oct 27 2009, 08:48 PM) *

I like the placement. Are you sure you want to trust the zip ties. I think I'd use a clamp like the one pictured below. Much stronger and is secured with a bolt, not glue.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) Known as " ADEL" clamps. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Oct 29 2009, 07:47 AM
Post #30

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

is this a track car? did I miss that statement somewhere?
John learned his track lessons at the race track. I wish I could tally all the money I have saved from his bits of wisdom shared here and at 914 club.com
+Quote Post
ME733
post Oct 29 2009, 07:53 AM
Post #31

Member No.: 9,209

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) .....Placing your OIL LINES on the bottom of the floorpan makes no sense.,road or track debris can rip the oil lines off the car. (one poster already gave you an example of what happened to him).....If it happens, in a turn, oil will spray onto your rear tires,......instant spin....IF you hit a cornor barrier, concrete wall, another car ETC,ETC....I hope you are wearing a "HANS-DEVICE" so you don't snap your neck. BE sensible...relocate the oil lines whereby they are PROTECTED. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 03:00 PM