Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Interior Ideas for a 16 Year Old?, Daughter Turning 16 in Jan
r_towle
post Nov 17 2009, 05:56 PM
Post #21

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(markb @ Nov 17 2009, 04:28 PM) *

QUOTE(rjames @ Nov 17 2009, 01:20 PM) *

Young first driver in a 914 is scary. Maybe a bigger car for her safety will be better. Might want to think about it first.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I looked at alot of crashed and wrecked 914's prior to giving my son a 914.
The passenger compartment holds up really quite well.
Ensure you have the later body doors....those are key.

If you doubt me, look up "rocket" and his restoration (and demise) of his purple car. He hit a tree very hard and walked away with nothing more than a bruised ego...car it totalled.

She will be fine.

Go for a retro interior with some of the early plaid on the seats...

Rich
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Nov 17 2009, 06:38 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

I have seen the aftermarket seats with purple accents. They also come with the holes for the 4 point harness. My first car was a ford pinto (I obviously did not blow up) and everyone told my parents how stupid they were for buying me the car. It wasn't the 67 lemans I wanted, but it got me evrywhere I wanted to go safely! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 17 2009, 09:33 PM
Post #23

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

With a new driver, can't you get her an old Volvo wagen till she learns how to drive? A good Porsche friend had his son go through a nice 914 and a 914-6 before he got through his early driving years.

Luckily, both cars protected well during the crashes, and his son was fine. However, the cars were toast and not repairable. They're not making any more of these anymore, so there should be a bit of preservation desire in our group. It just seems that it takes a while for new drivers to "get" it.

When my son had his first accident (in a Volve 245 Turbo wagen), I made him actually repair the fender/headlight assembly to see what was involved. He's a much better driver now!
+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Nov 18 2009, 07:36 AM
Post #24

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

Ask hot shoe914 how a 914 holds up in a frontal crash.....He had as bad of a crash in a 914 as I've seen....his nephew got a broke collar bone from the seat belt. Maybe he has pics to post.....
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Nov 18 2009, 08:12 AM
Post #25

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

I would agree the later doors are the ticket. Also the old seat belts suck. Install a harness bar and a 4 point. You can have terry cloth padded covers made for the belts in Purple. Install them over the belts with velcro. I would avoid the cage. Too much of a chance of a unprotected head or limbs contacting the bars. Unless she is going to drive with a helmet everyday..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Nov 18 2009, 08:37 AM
Post #26

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 18 2009, 07:36 AM) *

Ask hot shoe914 how a 914 holds up in a frontal crash.....He had as bad of a crash in a 914 as I've seen....his nephew got a broke collar bone from the seat belt. Maybe he has pics to post.....

You mean this one Jt? I took the broken collar bone from the seatbelt, nephew took a dash to the side of his head!

Attached Image
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 18 2009, 08:55 AM
Post #27

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

One of our family friends 19yr/old daughter was killed in a car crash, hit the shoulder and flipped into a ditch.

She was driving a full size GM SUV.
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 09:03 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,598
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I concede...air bags, crumple zones, ABS and traction control were all useless in that situation. Now...run that SUV head on into a 914...

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 18 2009, 09:55 AM) *

One of our family friends 19yr/old daughter was killed in a car crash, hit the shoulder and flipped into a ditch.

+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 18 2009, 09:22 AM
Post #29

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:03 AM) *

I concede...air bags, crumple zones, ABS and traction control were all useless in that situation. Now...run that SUV head on into a 914...

At 60mph you're still both dead. How about run the SUV into a dumptruck...back of a semi...
I've see a lot of flipped SUV's...It's almost that season here.
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 09:26 AM
Post #30

I concede...you're right...a 40 year old design in a 2,000 pound car is equally safe in a head one with a modern 5,000 pound SUV. When you're right you're right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Nov 18 2009, 10:22 AM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:03 AM) *

At 60mph you're still both dead.

+Quote Post
jt914-6
post Nov 18 2009, 11:34 AM
Post #31

Driving & working on teeners 41 years

Member No.: 9,003
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(hot_shoe914 @ Nov 18 2009, 08:37 AM) *

QUOTE(jt914-6 @ Nov 18 2009, 07:36 AM) *

You mean this one Jt? I took the broken collar bone from the seatbelt, nephew took a dash to the side of his head!

Attached Image
Attached Image

Yes, that crash Don....sorry I had my injuries wrong....It's been a long time since that happened...Maybe you can tell the story....It does show how well the passenger's compartment holds up in a frontal....
+Quote Post
jd74914
post Nov 18 2009, 11:42 AM
Post #32

Its alive

Member No.: 1,659
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:26 AM) *

I concede...you're right...a 40 year old design in a 2,000 pound car is equally safe in a head one with a modern 5,000 pound SUV. When you're right you're right! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

I know a guy who almost died when he got hit head on; he was driving a newer dump truck. Even the largest vehicles can still allow you to be hurt.

That said, I've had my 914 for 7 years. Its been a DD for the last 2.5 or so and I'm only 21. To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car. I would feel totally comfortable giving a 16 year old (provided they aren't stupid reckless) a 914. The reckless kid will hurt themselves or more likely others in any car; I feel that the marque doesn't really matter.

Sorry for continuing the hijack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I like the above suggestion of Wet Okole seat covers. They'll both protect the seats and look cool. Carpeting with colored edging would also look pretty good IMO. The best part is all of those things protect the car and are still subtle enough touches to make a difference without going overboard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 18 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #33

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

The best color for a new teenage driver is AIRBAG!
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 18 2009, 11:50 AM
Post #34

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623
Region Association: Northern California

http://www.wetokole.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...-914-Galery1971

This is what I was talking about seat covers. Only change the blue for purple.
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 12:06 PM
Post #35

It's sooooo hard arguing with this kind of logic. Of course people have gotten killed in large vehicles. That's your rationale? Do you realize that cars have safety factor ratings? Of course defensive driving helps...that's a given. My DD has two wheels. I have yet to die while riding it while folks in Volvos have died...go figure. If this is the argument, I've really gotta stop, because it's nonsensical. The marque really doesn't matter? You're serious?

For your consideration...eliminate the marque factor...a drunken driver runs into you head on (happens here in Maryland all the time...not sure where you live). Which car are you more likely to survive in, a 40 year old 914, or a new Cayman?

Please...somebody who understands engineering advances in the past 40 years, feel free to chime in. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 18 2009, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:26 AM) *

I know a guy who almost died when he got hit head on; he was driving a newer dump truck. Even the largest vehicles can still allow you to be hurt.

That said, I've had my 914 for 7 years. Its been a DD for the last 2.5 or so and I'm only 21. To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car. I would feel totally comfortable giving a 16 year old (provided they aren't stupid reckless) a 914. The reckless kid will hurt themselves or more likely others in any car; I feel that the marque doesn't really matter.

Sorry for continuing the hijack. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I like the above suggestion of Wet Okole seat covers. They'll both protect the seats and look cool. Carpeting with colored edging would also look pretty good IMO. The best part is all of those things protect the car and are still subtle enough touches to make a difference without going overboard. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Teknon
post Nov 18 2009, 12:43 PM
Post #36

The more I learn the dumber i think I am

Member No.: 2,505
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I gave my 16yo one and he smacked it up. Boy was I stupid.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 12:48 PM
Post #37

I'm sure some 20 year old will chime in and say that it could also happen to a 40 year old. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

QUOTE(Teknon @ Nov 18 2009, 01:43 PM) *

I gave my 16yo one and he smacked it up. Boy was I stupid.(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

+Quote Post
ericread
post Nov 18 2009, 01:37 PM
Post #38

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 18 2009, 09:42 AM) *

To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car.

In the spirit of returning to the thread title, I think we can all accept the above post as being the key.

SO let's just say that this 16 year old is an expert in defensive driving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

I like the idea of purple seat covers and accessories. So when she gets her tickets and isn't allowed to drive anymore, you can drive it around without fear of embarrassment. All because of the fact that guys in purple cars aren't like us normal folk... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)
+Quote Post
ericread
post Nov 18 2009, 01:39 PM
Post #39

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 18 2009, 11:37 AM) *

QUOTE(jd74914 @ Nov 18 2009, 09:42 AM) *

To be safe you just need to learn how to drive defensively. People aren't trying to kill you; they just don't pay attention. You only need to learn to stay away from careless people on the roads, but that is really true in any car.

In the spirit of returning to the thread title, I think we can all accept the above post as being the key.

SO let's just say that this 16 year old is an expert in defensive driving (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) .

I like the idea of purple seat covers and accessories. So when she gets her tickets and isn't allowed to drive anymore, you can drive it around without fear of embarrassment. All because of the fact that guys in purple cars aren't like us normal folk... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol3.gif)

And just to make sure I'm not misunderstood, the comment that "guys in purple cars aren't like us normal folk" refers to an obvious case of being color-blind. Because, no normal person likes a purple car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 18 2009, 01:43 PM
Post #40

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) *

It's sooooo hard arguing with this kind of logic. Of course people have gotten killed in large vehicles. That's your rationale? Do you realize that cars have safety factor ratings? Of course defensive driving helps...that's a given. My DD has two wheels. I have yet to die while riding it while folks in Volvos have died...go figure. If this is the argument, I've really gotta stop, because it's nonsensical. The marque really doesn't matter? You're serious?

For your consideration...eliminate the marque factor...a drunken driver runs into you head on (happens here in Maryland all the time...not sure where you live). Which car are you more likely to survive in, a 40 year old 914, or a new Cayman?

I like your logic much better, ken.....keep the lowest horse powered engine in the car,give her the keys and pray about it every now and then!!

BTW...my girl friend was born in Cumberland,in fact her mother and brother still
reside there, how close is that to you? We'll be visiting there soon,maybe we can
hook-up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 10:13 PM