Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Interior Ideas for a 16 Year Old?, Daughter Turning 16 in Jan
rebelmdot
post Nov 17 2009, 02:42 PM
Post #1

914ini

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,625
Region Association: South East States

Well the scary day has arrived my child will be behind the wheel, but at least it will be behind the wheel of a 1972 914 1.7l!!! I told her that I would paint it any color she wanted and put any color interior. She has chosen black for the paint, but would like some purple involved on the interior.

SCARED; ANY IDEAS???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving-girl.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 59)
tat2dphreak
post Nov 18 2009, 01:45 PM
Post #41

stoya, stoya, stoya

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 792
Region Association: Southwest Region

you cannot argue with it, ken, it's HIS daughter, he will do what he chooses. I only hope it's not a decision that he later regrets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I like the okole seat covers but OUCH that's $$ for seat covers, do they fit PERFECT?! and never bunch up or come loose? because you can almost get seats re-upholstered for that...

FWIW, I lost control of a civic when I was young, driving on ice too fast. smacked a guard rail HARD. and walked away, and even the car was fine. about 5k in body damage, including a bent frame. but if I had been in the truck I'd just gotten rid of, I'd have flipped over the guard rail, and not been so lucky.

accidents DO happen. you just never know which accident you'll be in so you don't know which vehicle will be better in the scenario.
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 01:51 PM
Post #42

Member No.: 10,598
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

It's doable:
Attached Image

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 18 2009, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) *

It's sooooo hard arguing with this kind of logic. Of course people have gotten killed in large vehicles. That's your rationale? Do you realize that cars have safety factor ratings? Of course defensive driving helps...that's a given. My DD has two wheels. I have yet to die while riding it while folks in Volvos have died...go figure. If this is the argument, I've really gotta stop, because it's nonsensical. The marque really doesn't matter? You're serious?

For your consideration...eliminate the marque factor...a drunken driver runs into you head on (happens here in Maryland all the time...not sure where you live). Which car are you more likely to survive in, a 40 year old 914, or a new Cayman?

I like your logic much better, ken.....keep the lowest horse powered engine in the car,give her the keys and pray about it every now and then!!

BTW...my girl friend was born in Cumberland,in fact her mother and brother still
reside there, how close is that to you? We'll be visiting there soon,maybe we can
hook-up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 01:56 PM
Post #43

And there are scenarios where it's better not to have on a seat belt, and scenarios where it's better to not be wearing a helmet on a motorcycle, but "not knowing which accident you'll be in", it's a lot smarter to wear both...play the odds.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 18 2009, 02:45 PM) *

you cannot argue with it, ken, it's HIS daughter, he will do what he chooses. I only hope it's not a decision that he later regrets (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I like the okole seat covers but OUCH that's $$ for seat covers, do they fit PERFECT?! and never bunch up or come loose? because you can almost get seats re-upholstered for that...

FWIW, I lost control of a civic when I was young, driving on ice too fast. smacked a guard rail HARD. and walked away, and even the car was fine. about 5k in body damage, including a bent frame. but if I had been in the truck I'd just gotten rid of, I'd have flipped over the guard rail, and not been so lucky.

accidents DO happen. you just never know which accident you'll be in so you don't know which vehicle will be better in the scenario.

+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Nov 18 2009, 02:06 PM
Post #44

stoya, stoya, stoya

oh, to me, there's never a scenario I'd rather be in the 914 vs my daily beater 98 civic... not many I'd rather be in a SUV or truck over the civic
+Quote Post
siverson
post Nov 18 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #45

Advanced Member

Member No.: 654
Region Association: Southern California

I think that teenage driver safety is probably 99% related to the behavior/responsibility of the teenager, and 1% car safety features. You can get hurt doing really stupid things in really safe cars.

Fortunately, my daughter is 9 months old so I have some time to reconsider this.

But... I've had my 914 since I was 15 (33 now). I think it was a great first car. It was a 2.0 4 cyl (now a 3.6 six) when I was young, which is probably a good idea.
+Quote Post
kenshapiro2002
post Nov 18 2009, 02:14 PM
Post #46

Now we agree.

QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ Nov 18 2009, 03:06 PM) *

oh, to me, there's never a scenario I'd rather be in the 914 vs my daily beater 98 civic... not many I'd rather be in a SUV or truck over the civic

+Quote Post
ericread
post Nov 18 2009, 02:17 PM
Post #47

The Viper Blue 914

Member No.: 8,432
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 18 2009, 12:07 PM) *

Fortunately, my daughter is 9 months old so I have some time to reconsider this.

hahaha! By the time you blink she's going to be 16 years old with boys knocking at the door and her wanting the car keys! Enjoy the time you have now, because in a few years you'll never know where that time went.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 18 2009, 02:39 PM
Post #48

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(ericread @ Nov 18 2009, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(siverson @ Nov 18 2009, 12:07 PM) *

hahaha! By the time you blink she's going to be 16 years old with boys knocking at the door and her wanting the car keys! Enjoy the time you have now, because in a few years you'll never know where that time went.

And the day after that, you get a phonecall with someone stuttering the word "grandfather" ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) Andy
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nvrupnvrin
post Nov 18 2009, 02:52 PM
Post #49

Member No.: 9,117
Region Association: North East States

Wet Okole seat covers do fit that well, don't bunch or come off. Had them in a Honda Odyssey, the dogs sat on them every day, four years later they still looked like new after a wash.

+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 18 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #50

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(nvrupnvrin @ Nov 18 2009, 12:52 PM) *

Wet Okole seat covers do fit that well, don't bunch or come off. Had them in a Honda Odyssey, the dogs sat on them every day, four years later they still looked like new after a wash.

And you can get seat warmers installed in them to! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
aircooledtechguy
post Nov 18 2009, 02:59 PM
Post #51

The Aircooledtech Guy

Member No.: 9,730
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(Chicken @ Nov 17 2009, 03:03 PM) *

guys he is looking for color ideas not parenting instruction....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Sheesh. . . With the overprotective logic I've seen on this thread, it's a wonder ANY of us survived before circa 1994, when airbags became standard equipment. . .

Live in a bubble if it makes you sleep better at night, but when it's your time, it's your time. No piece of equipment is 100% safe when people are involved.

Back to the topic at hand, my vote would be for black interior with purple stitching or piping to set it off. Maybe some purple door panel inserts or striping. Tasteful yet not (too) gaudy IMHO. . .
+Quote Post
underthetire
post Nov 18 2009, 03:05 PM
Post #52

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,623

QUOTE(nvrupnvrin @ Nov 18 2009, 12:52 PM) *

I wish. I was quoted 700 to have both seats done. it's 500 just for the kit from AA.
+Quote Post
tat2dphreak
post Nov 18 2009, 03:10 PM
Post #53

stoya, stoya, stoya

a local guy got his done for $300+his supplied material(off the internet for <$100) guess it depends on the shop, and how busy they are..
+Quote Post
Drums66
post Nov 18 2009, 03:57 PM
Post #54

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 11:51 AM) *

It's doable:
Attached Image

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Nov 18 2009, 02:43 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ Nov 18 2009, 10:06 AM) *

It's sooooo hard arguing with this kind of logic. Of course people have gotten killed in large vehicles. That's your rationale? Do you realize that cars have safety factor ratings? Of course defensive driving helps...that's a given. My DD has two wheels. I have yet to die while riding it while folks in Volvos have died...go figure. If this is the argument, I've really gotta stop, because it's nonsensical. The marque really doesn't matter? You're serious?

For your consideration...eliminate the marque factor...a drunken driver runs into you head on (happens here in Maryland all the time...not sure where you live). Which car are you more likely to survive in, a 40 year old 914, or a new Cayman?

I like your logic much better, ken.....keep the lowest horse powered engine in the car,give her the keys and pray about it every now and then!!

BTW...my girl friend was born in Cumberland,in fact her mother and brother still
reside there, how close is that to you? We'll be visiting there soon,maybe we can
hook-up? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Cooool Ken, that's not very far at all......about a quarter's throw across the
Potomac!!......Probably after the new year, will be in touch.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Nov 18 2009, 06:32 PM
Post #55

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Nov 18 2009, 03:59 PM) *

QUOTE(Chicken @ Nov 17 2009, 03:03 PM) *

guys he is looking for color ideas not parenting instruction....

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Sheesh. . . With the overprotective logic I've seen on this thread, it's a wonder ANY of us survived before circa 1994, when airbags became standard equipment. . .

Live in a bubble if it makes you sleep better at night, but when it's your time, it's your time. No piece of equipment is 100% safe when people are involved.

Back to the topic at hand, my vote would be for black interior with purple stitching or piping to set it off. Maybe some purple door panel inserts or striping. Tasteful yet not (too) gaudy IMHO. . .

Ahhh...yep,

Is a VW golf safer than a 914?
Doesn't matter I get the nice 914, my kid will get an old VW POS just like I got.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 18 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #56

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Send your seats off to Morph and have him redo them with stock bolsters and purple paisley back and bottom.

More damned nannies here than the gubmint! Airbag is no substitute for parenting...
+Quote Post
6freak
post Nov 18 2009, 06:57 PM
Post #57

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

but at least it will be behind the wheel of a 1972 914 1.7l!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Bad move very bad move..with all the safety features built into today`s cars and your gonna stick her in a car with none ..... she WILL wreck her first car !you would think you would like to have some air bags and such, side curtains...A.B.S .. crumple zones ...Kia `s are cheap and loaded with safety features ...all do respect Sr .if you put her in a 914 your a fool... I know you love your little girl so put her in a safe car....JMO
+Quote Post
rebelmdot
post Nov 18 2009, 07:43 PM
Post #58

914ini

Member No.: 8,625
Region Association: South East States

Please do not offer me any more parenting advice. You know nothing of me, you know nothing of my child, you know nothing of the car, additional safety features being installed, nor where or how the car will be driven. I appreciate everyone's concern, but if you have nothing to say regarding interior, MOVE ON!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
+Quote Post
hot_shoe914
post Nov 18 2009, 08:42 PM
Post #59

on ramp passer

Member No.: 8,354
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rebelmdot @ Nov 18 2009, 07:43 PM) *

Please do not offer me any more parenting advice. You know nothing of me, you know nothing of my child, you know nothing of the car, additional safety features being installed, nor where or how the car will be driven. I appreciate everyone's concern, but if you have nothing to say regarding interior, MOVE ON!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)

Now you've done it. Gone and pissed him off! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
sean_v8_914
post Nov 18 2009, 10:09 PM
Post #60

Chingon 601

Member No.: 3,541

say goodbye to that 914. i believe a kid's first car should be a throw away cookie cut turd...pre-dented. the insurance companies know this. anyone who thinks their kid is any different is in denial. the numbers dont lie. 914s are, however, fairly safe in a crash. they have a large front and rear crumple zone that absorbs energy from teh impact effectively protecting it's ocupants. a bigger cra is not allways safer, this is a myth. think inertia and energy transfer.
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 10:41 PM