Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finally..., The -6 conversion has begun, woohoo
campbellcj
post Apr 3 2003, 10:58 PM
Post #1

I can't Re Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 21
Region Association: Southern California

Tomorrow morning, the next big project(s) get underway. While I'm off on a biz trip next week, my 6-cyl engine and front oil cooler will finally get installed. Ottos is tackling this job for me. I would have liked to do more of the work myself, and document it thoroughly, but time and expertise just are not on my side right now. Not to mention that I don't have a lift or welder at home.

I procrastinated quite a long time to make sure the finances would work out OK (I'm still not totally stress-free, but ready to take the plunge anyway).

So, now I have a track event on 4/12-13 and exactly a week to get the work done or else pretty much knock myself out of the class championship running for this POC-STS season.

Most of the parts are either on hand or readily available so I think we're in good shape.

With any luck, exactly a week from today I will have test-driven Version 2.2a of the 914R (IMG:style_emoticons/default/boldblue.gif) and will be packing up for two days at the Streets of Willow.
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 3 2003, 11:03 PM
Post #2

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

What! You are not having Brad install your six? Just kidding!
Congrats!!! I bet you can hardly wait...I have forgotten what size the six is??
Are you going with fiberglass front GT bumper for the oil cooler?
Geoff
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 3 2003, 11:13 PM
Post #3

I can't Re Member

Seeing as Brad is about 400 miles away, the logistics are tough (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I am still hoping/planning to have Tony and Brad do some camberboxes and further suspension upgrades for me, later this year, if business stays good.

The engine is a factory 914-6 that was built to a 2.2S spec setup. Has pristine Weber 40's, S cams, barrels and pistons. We are unsure if the heads were ported or what other changes might have been made; also I haven't checked to see if it has a counterweighted crank yet. I will try not to spin it past 6500-6800 anyway, for longevity's sake. It came out of an early 911S, ironically enough, which underwent a R-Gruppe transformation and got a bigger n' badder powerplant last summer. This is basically a "trainer" engine, until I'm ready to bump to a higher race cla$$.

I already have f/g bumpers and my front bumper and spoiler are already cut for the cooler opening. It's gonna be a pretty huge cooler, because I live and race in some extremely hot weather, like 110+ in the summertime.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Apr 3 2003, 11:20 PM
Post #4

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24

R U going to use the Patrick Motorsports oil cooler metal cover or something else that Otto sells?
A 2.2S motor should be fun!
What about the tranny?
I know that is a haul for you to Brads but for Tonys cage and all it seems like it would be worth it.
Geoff
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 4 2003, 12:51 AM
Post #5

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Bleyseng @ Apr 3 2003, 09:20 PM)
R U going to use the Patrick Motorsports oil cooler metal cover or something else that Otto sells?
A 2.2S motor should be fun!
What about the tranny?
I know that is a haul for you to Brads but for Tonys cage and all it seems like it would be worth it.
Geoff

I already have a TonyC cage (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The trans is a project for later this year (hopefully). It is pretty fresh and working fine right now, but the (stock 914-4) gearing is not optimal for most or all of the tracks around here. Planning to do a 904 mainshaft, modest gear changes and LSD. Perhaps some oiling mods and an external cooler also.

The front oil cooler shrouding will probably just be fabbed.
+Quote Post
Brad Roberts
post Apr 4 2003, 01:10 AM
Post #6

914 Freak!

Member No.: 8
Region Association: None

I dont have time nor the space. Otto knows his shit. I just hope Chris can walk after he gets the bill.

B
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 4 2003, 06:59 AM
Post #7

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

When I started my project I called Otto's shop and the acted like it was an inconvenience for me to bring my car to them.
I called Pelican and talked to Tom he recomended my mechanic. Seems Tom and Alex both used to work for ol Otto.

I'm happy that I didn't end up there.
+Quote Post
Lawrence
post Apr 4 2003, 10:35 AM
Post #8

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244

I've had less than pleasant dealings with John Williamson (a.k.a. Otto). But he has damned near legend-status. His customer base and reputation keep him comfortably employed, so I guess he can afford to be a dick.

-Rusty
+Quote Post
drew365
post Apr 4 2003, 01:18 PM
Post #9

These are the good old days!

Member No.: 37

Good luck Chris, I'll bet you'll be a little stressed on Friday. Adding a front oil cooler is the next project at the top of my list. I'll need to crawl around your car at Willow on Sat and ask some intelligent questions. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
silver six
post Apr 4 2003, 01:50 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 227

I also had an unpleasant experience with the people at Ottos.

I asked them multiple times how much a part cost (a rear reflector panel). Each time I asked, they asked me back how much I would pay. After going around like this for a while via e-mail, I just threw out a price in order to get the negotiation rolling. I told them I had seen reflectors for $50. on e-bay, and then I asked again how much their reflector was.

Instead of providing me a price, they responded that they were shocked that I would even offer $50 and explained that a reflector from the dealer, even if you could get them, would be $700 (or some figure close to that; I've forgotten). I asked again what their reflector cost and Otto's never replied after that.

Douglas
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Apr 4 2003, 02:12 PM
Post #11

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

You're gonna love it, Chris.

My dealings with Otto's have been straight forward, tho I have seen too many discordant posts to discount them all. Of course, I haven't called them and asked how to set up my car for AX. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) . I let this fine group hash that out (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
jdogg
post Apr 4 2003, 02:18 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 204

What kind of HP/Torque numbers do you expect from that 2.2?
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 4 2003, 02:19 PM
Post #13

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 3 2003, 11:10 PM)
I just hope Chris can walk after he gets the bill.

Me too...the bill will be pretty "impressive", no doubt. Although, most people probably don't know this (minimal advertising), but Ottos has extremely good prices on parts. At least if he "knows" you. I already acquired the bulkhead mount and NOS oil tank at deep discounts elsewhere (private parties), which saved me $400+ right there.

I get along with him great, but I have heard other comments like above, i.e. some people find him tough to deal with. I guess it doesn't hurt that I am a fellow POC racer and 914 fan...and have written a few juicy checks in the past.

Andy - the cooler setup will be a clone of the yellow (area51) car. BIG MazdaSpeed cooler, Mocal thermostat, fabbed shrouding. Everything else will be textbook 914-6 conversion; basically a factory -6 clone. (Which is what it basically has to be, for me to stay in POC V4/R6).
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 4 2003, 02:27 PM
Post #14

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(jdogg @ Apr 4 2003, 12:18 PM)
What kind of HP/Torque numbers do you expect from that 2.2?

Good question. It may see some dyno time later, if I get more "serious".

IF it was truly built to a 2.2S configuration, with bigger ports etc, then it should pull 180hp. We are not sure of this (yet) so I would guess in the 160-180hp range. It definitely has the 9.8:1 S pistons and the S cams. The Webers were fully rebuilt and rejetted (by the PO) to suit this engine. I will be running headers with open pipes (where allowed) which will also help further.
+Quote Post
mightyohm
post Apr 4 2003, 02:31 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 162

A 6 conversion in a week. Wow.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 4 2003, 03:04 PM
Post #16

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Apr 4 2003, 12:31 PM)
A 6 conversion in a week. Wow.

It's doable, when the engine, conversion parts & labor are basically sitting there ready to go. This is JUST the engine and cooler install.

If I tried to do it all myself in the garage, it would take me months/years, LOL. Which is why I gave up on that route...I have been getting home from work around 8:30pm lately. And I have a kid, wife, and house to take care of. Doesn't leave a lot of garage time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Zeke
post Apr 4 2003, 05:47 PM
Post #17

Never left, but not right....

Member No.: 197

And it doesn't hurt that John (otto) will be at every event you go to at Streets. His reputation will bo on the line (literally) so me thinks he doesn't want the motor to fall out of the car while it's on the track. Less run time for him if there is a motor laying in the middle of the track. I'm sure he will do a spot on job.

I went to his shop once. Took me twenty minutes to order the correct steel lug nuts for Fuchs rims. 2 minutes of ordering and 18 minutes of him telling me how many victories he has. If you look on the shop walls, the trophies go all the way around the place. He definately has something to brag about. He talks the talk, but walks the walk.
+Quote Post
ChrisReale
post Apr 4 2003, 06:13 PM
Post #18

Sleazy

Member No.: 176

Usually the guys who know their shit are assholes up front, but once you get down to business and they get to know you they loosen up.
+Quote Post
campbellcj
post Apr 4 2003, 08:13 PM
Post #19

I can't Re Member

QUOTE(Zeke @ Apr 4 2003, 03:47 PM)
And it doesn't hurt that John (otto) will be /at/WINNING every event you go to at Streets.

Milt is dead-on, IMHO. But I edited your quote slightly (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

My car is, in effect, an advertisement for the shop. The smarter shop owners fully realize this, and more and more of them are getting into track car building and trackside support roles. We are even getting fully supported "arrive and drive" big rigs at the Short Track POC events now....

BTW I think another reason for the "attitude" some of the pro wrenches (probably including Otto and Brad) portray, is this: Most people have NO idea how many phone calls and emails these guys field every day. (I would not want to be in their shoes.) Probably 50% of them are from people who have no intention to spend money with the mechanic/shop, and are just fishing for free advice...914 owners in particular are not known for being "big spenders". They are largely DIY types looking for dirt-cheap parts and free advice how to install them... So I think some guys tend to be a bit "gruff" until they know for sure whether the person they're dealing with is legit, as opposed to a distraction taking away from important deadlines.

Just an observation...I may well be full of shit, who knows... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Apr 4 2003, 08:18 PM
Post #20

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

If that's true, it's too bad.

I'll never go to Ottos or buy anything else from Patrick, for the same reason.
They don't know who I am, that I've got as much in my 914 as my Range Rover or not,
and not knowing, assuming the worst is a bad idea, IMHO. Not a good way to run a business!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 05:33 PM