Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> case and head vents, do I need to run a breather box?
Jake Raby
post Feb 3 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #81

Engine Surgeon

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

McMark is right. Murray, if you want to keep arguing just come to my forum. There is already a thread started there on this topic and everyone there already knows you.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 3 2010, 04:48 PM
Post #82

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/yellowsleep[1].gif)

What did i miss? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Feb 3 2010, 05:58 PM
Post #83

Member No.: 6,499
Region Association: None

Nothing go back to sleep!
+Quote Post
Twystd1
post Feb 3 2010, 06:10 PM
Post #84

You don't want to know... really.....

Member No.: 2,743

This is a great thread.
I am learning a lot about venting. Oil and otherwise.

Keep it up fellas. Cause they don't teach this stuff in any Type IV book.

And the humor aspect is superb.

Thanks and keep it coming...!!!!!!!

Clayton
+Quote Post
ME733
post Feb 3 2010, 06:33 PM
Post #85

Member No.: 9,209

..........Well the only thing you missed was ... any direct response, or answers to SPECIFIC Questions asked of the" raby gang". I mean any question, alternatate opinion, or discussion which is not originated by the gang, must of course be a "personal attack on my business". Look back over the course of this "discussion". note all the points, questions, that were not answered, and avoided....Now the really absurd aspect of all this is,; I actually like what jake has done, and is doing. ..But when IT,s impossable to enguage in a spirited debate, discussion, or have questions answered directly, then , well , what the hell, just thought the discussion could be of value to 914 owners who can think for themselves and appreciate options to problems....signing off ...Murray.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Feb 3 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #86

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 3 2010, 05:47 PM) *

McMark is right. Murray, if you want to keep arguing just come to my forum. There is already a thread started there on this topic and everyone there already knows you.

.........terrific, when I was much younger I loved a good bar fight., that was back in the days of vietnam, USN., ....see ya soon., jarhead,....Murray.
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Feb 3 2010, 08:01 PM
Post #87

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095

QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 3 2010, 05:38 PM) *

QUOTE(Jake Raby @ Feb 3 2010, 05:47 PM) *

.........terrific, when I was much younger I loved a good bar fight., that was back in the days of vietnam, USN., ....see ya soon., jarhead,....Murray.

We'll save you a seat...
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 3 2010, 08:28 PM
Post #88

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Some people built racing motors before the Internet.
I dont know Murray, but based upon his age and the many magazine articles that I cant read (I dont have the magazines) I suspect that he did build a few motors.

The 356 registry is not populated with all the 356 guys...many of them avoid forums for this exact reason. Many of the top 356 engine builders never visit these forums and its not because they are scared, its because they dont like all the drama. Its also a time suck they would rather avoid.

I have met quite a few, and many of these guys do know what they are doing and have built some really cool motors and hotrod stuff.

On the head venting question, I have a few that have always puzzled me and hopefully one of you guys may have a theory....we have discussed this before with no answer.

So, Early Djet has head vents.
Later Djet does not have head vents, but has air injection
Ljet has no head vents.

Does anyone have a theory why the factory kept flip flopping on this specific issue? I know racing was not on the line here, but was is longevity?

Rich
+Quote Post
904svo
post Feb 3 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #89

904SVO

Member No.: 5,146

They had to meet the EPA requirements on Hyro carbons for emissions, this was
the only way they knew. (bookkeepers way)
+Quote Post
pbanders
post Feb 3 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #90

Member No.: 805

QUOTE(r_towle @ Feb 3 2010, 07:28 PM) *

So, Early Djet has head vents.
Later Djet does not have head vents, but has air injection
Ljet has no head vents.

Does anyone have a theory why the factory kept flip flopping on this specific issue? I know racing was not on the line here, but was is longevity?

Remember that this was very early in the day of tighter emissions control and the advent of various types of FI systems. Some of these changes may have had to do with apparently unrelated issues (e.g. idle stability). Unless we've got a direct line to the engineers who made the changes, I suspect the exact reasons are lost.

These cars were an amazing advancement in terms of emissions over the previous generation. Crankcase scavenging, evaporative fuel systems, tight mixture control over a wide engine speed and manifold vacuum range, etc. And to make it worse, they were all open-loop!

I'm continuously amazed by where this has led us to today. Modern engine designs with engine management systems do an incredible job of managing all operating conditions while maintaining low emissions, good fuel economy, and drivability.
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Feb 3 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #91

Member No.: 9,270

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Jack / jaxdream
+Quote Post
luvatenor
post Feb 4 2010, 05:03 AM
Post #92

Member No.: 11,154

Hi- I have a single Weber conversion. Where would i vent from the oil filler breather box?- Do I have to buy or construct a vent box(wrong term)? Gees, I didn't realize the discussions would get this heated. I benefit from everyone's input because of the expertise and experience which I do not have- Thanks again
+Quote Post
McMark
post Feb 4 2010, 05:28 PM
Post #93

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

The vents on the oil filler and the heads (if applicable) should be vented to the intake or vented to atmosphere. They should never be connected together in a closed system (i.e. it's improper to connect the filler to the head using a tee and three pieces of hose).

To say it another way, all of the engine vents should be 'open'.
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 4 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #94

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

Wow. I guess we have figured out how to get a lot of information out of Jake and Len. Just piss 'em off (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Feb 5 2010, 10:37 AM
Post #95

Wow. I guess we have figured out how to get a lot of information out of Jake and Len. Just piss 'em off

Who's pissed? I have nothing but love for everyoneLOL!
+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Feb 5 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #96

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380

QUOTE(HAM Inc @ Feb 5 2010, 08:37 AM) *

Wow. I guess we have figured out how to get a lot of information out of Jake and Len. Just piss 'em off

Who's pissed? I have nothing but love for everyoneLOL!

Listen HAM-head (Also known as Head of HAM) if you are still repairing my LE200's block off my head vents. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
ME733
post Feb 5 2010, 11:16 AM
Post #97

............Good grief.....the number of brainwashed , lemmings, is higher than I had supposed....of course it,s always easier to be a brain dead follower, than to have to take the time to think for yourself.....I still highly recommend using HEAD VENTS on your 914 engine. For many reasons.......Murray Mcafee.
+Quote Post
rtalich
post Feb 5 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #98

Member No.: 6,913

QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 5 2010, 09:16 AM) *

............Good grief.....the number of brainwashed , lemmings, is higher than I had supposed....of course it,s always easier to be a brain dead follower, than to have to take the time to think for yourself.....I still highly recommend using HEAD VENTS on your 914 engine. For many reasons.......Murray Mcafee.

Oh give it a rest already! As entertaining as this thread has become, its also getting old. Your personal, unproven opinion, which is exactly what it is, with no scientific facts to back it up, does NOT out weigh good 'ol realistic solid data. Which, BTW, Jake and crew has gobs and gobs of. Go back and do what you do best... run for Mayor or some other public office... wait a minute... that didn't work out so well either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) I don't know... maybe you should be a politician. You'd probably fit in better in that crowd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Lets put it to a vote... who'd you rather have build you a Type IV motor? Murray, who's knowledge about these motors appears to be stuck in the past? Referring to the magazine articles he posted a few posts ago... 1980's???? Give me a break... A LOT has happened from then till now, thanks to Aircooled Technology.

Or Jake, who's knowledge of aircooled motors are second to none! With tons of R & D AND DATA to back it up!!
+Quote Post
HAM Inc
post Feb 5 2010, 12:16 PM
Post #99

Listen HAM-head (Also known as Head of HAM) if you are still repairing my LE200's block off my head vents.

Rob your heads will be front and center here shortly. All you need to block off the vents are 1/4npt plugs.
+Quote Post
ME733
post Feb 5 2010, 12:29 PM
Post #100

QUOTE(rtalich @ Feb 5 2010, 12:50 PM) *

QUOTE(ME733 @ Feb 5 2010, 09:16 AM) *

Oh give it a rest already! As entertaining as this thread has become, its also getting old. Your personal, unproven opinion, which is exactly what it is, with no scientific facts to back it up, does NOT out weigh good 'ol realistic solid data. Which, BTW, Jake and crew has gobs and gobs of. Go back and do what you do best... run for Mayor or some other public office... wait a minute... that didn't work out so well either (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif) I don't know... maybe you should be a politician. You'd probably fit in better in that crowd (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

Lets put it to a vote... who'd you rather have build you a Type IV motor? Murray, who's knowledge about these motors appears to be stuck in the past? Referring to the magazine articles he posted a few posts ago... 1980's???? Give me a break... A LOT has happened from then till now, thanks to Aircooled Technology.

Or Jake, who's knowledge of aircooled motors are second to none! With tons of R & D AND DATA to back it up!!

................I didn't post any articles....Just advertisements....The articles were written by reporters,with a real names, for the particular magizines I listed. Murray Mcafee.
+Quote Post

8 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 11:32 PM