Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shock questions-Bilstein or KYB?, What shocks are you using?
Eric_Shea
post Feb 10 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #21

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

I am looking at 95% of my driving being on the street, so I don't need the super stiff shocks.... What do you guys recommend?

The Boge Sports get lost in the Koni/Bilstein wars. They are very nice shocks for a 95% street car.

Konis would give you the abilaity to dial in your rebound. Bilsteins are set'em and forget'em. Both are awesome shocks. Your choice.

I'm using Koni's on the GT tribute and Bilsteins on my ML320. I'm thinking about switching the 911 over to Bilsteins as well. I have all the parts... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Attached Image
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
thefather99
post Feb 10 2010, 05:12 PM
Post #22

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,895
Region Association: None

Thanks for your help! So far I'm leaning towards the Bilstein.... Unless I see something that will convince me otherwise.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Feb 10 2010, 05:23 PM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,867
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Thank you everyone for all the advice and opinions. I am leaning torwards Bilsteins or Koni's. Just going to do some more research.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post Feb 10 2010, 07:20 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2010, 07:49 AM) *

but if we're talking rear shocks to adjust them they have to be removed from the car each time to adjust.

Wachootalkin bout? Those are old Konis'. New ones have the adjustable shaft front and rear.

I guess I have the old version on my 914 because there is no adjustment via a knob. Good to know the newer ones have a easy way to adjust.
+Quote Post
raw1298
post Feb 10 2010, 10:34 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 10,148
Region Association: Northern California

I have had KYB shocks on two previous vehicles and was very happy with them. I liked the stiffer ride. These however were not 914's and were heavier vehicles. The group here knows more than I do for a 914 since my car is still living on jackstands. I will be running KYB's when it hits the street tho!!
+Quote Post
MikeSpraggi
post Feb 10 2010, 11:04 PM
Post #26

Member No.: 3,570
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Feb 10 2010, 06:20 PM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 10 2010, 07:49 AM) *

but if we're talking rear shocks to adjust them they have to be removed from the car each time to adjust.

Wachootalkin bout? Those are old Konis'. New ones have the adjustable shaft front and rear.

I guess I have the old version on my 914 because there is no adjustment via a knob. Good to know the newer ones have a easy way to adjust.

The Koni "Reds" do not have the knob like the Yellows. There is a tool that can be purchased to help with the process. To adjust Reds, remove the locking nut holding the top hat assembly together. Then the tool can compress the shock shaft down and you turn the shaft in one direction or the other. I've never done this but this is what I understand the process to be. Maybe someone who has done it can chime in.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Feb 10 2010, 11:37 PM
Post #27

Another question about shocks. What things do I need to put on my 914 so Bilsteins or Koni's will fit in the strut housing? Are their adapters or something? And what type and size springs would work best?
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 11 2010, 12:19 AM
Post #28

PMB Performance

A 914 will usually come with a black Boge housing. You can purchase any insert for this housing. All you'll need to get them on your car is $$$.

Springs depend on what you plan to do with it. If it's mainly street I wouldn't venture too far past stock. A 140 "progressive" would be the highest I'd go in a standard type spring.
+Quote Post
jcambo7
post Feb 11 2010, 12:31 AM
Post #29

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Feb 11 2010, 12:19 AM) *

A 914 will usually come with a black Boge housing. You can purchase any insert for this housing. All you'll need to get them on your car is $$$.

Springs depend on what you plan to do with it. If it's mainly street I wouldn't venture too far past stock. A 140 "progressive" would be the highest I'd go in a standard type spring.

Thanks Eric
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post Feb 11 2010, 08:32 AM
Post #30

PMB Performance

The Koni "Reds" do not have the knob like the Yellows.

Again... old vs. new. Reds do have knobs.
+Quote Post
VaccaRabite
post Feb 11 2010, 09:45 AM
Post #31

En Garde!

Member No.: 1,435
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I have driven my 914 with the same KYBs that were on it when I bought it. My back is fine.

At some point I may upgrade to something else, but it is hard to justify right now.

Zach
+Quote Post
burton73
post Feb 11 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #32

burton73

Member No.: 7,414
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(burton73 @ Feb 10 2010, 09:28 AM) *

I have bilsteins on 2 of my cars. My V8 donor car from Army Dude came with these KYB (made in Japan). They have an adjustable spring kit on them. I wonder if this kit will fit on a new Biilstein. The threaded tube is an almost tight fit over the shock body. It feels like there is a rubber O-ring or something holding them from sliding easily off.

This will go on my V8 blue car with the 930 trans

Bob

Do you guys think this adjustable set up will fit on a Bilstein or should I just try this out?

I am not so inclined to do work over if you think they are a total POS (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)

The Bilstein look like they are $125. Each I have no idea what a Koni would cost plus what is the adjustment going to do. It looks like this one is screwed all the way up. I guess that the screwing up changes the spring rate. The Koni adj. may change the damping

Bob
+Quote Post
charliew
post Feb 11 2010, 11:13 AM
Post #33

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

Your right the spring is adjusted for the ride heigth and the shock can be adjusted for rebound in the single stage or if it has a resiorvor it can be adjusted in either direction. I also have used kyb on other vehicles mostly 4wd and only had one which was the first set I tried go bad and it was from over extension. They are stiff. I'm sure the lighter the vehicle the rougher they are.

The boge struts can be used with a bilstein insert with a different gland nut on the strut. The part number for mine is: B4-36-U242E2 and a bilstein shock that works with either 911 or 914 is: F4-P36-0113 HO, Bilstein's cali # is: 1-858-386-5900 the guy that heiped me was Victor.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 06:51 AM