Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My chassis twisted hardcore
turnaround89
post Feb 22 2010, 11:54 AM
Post #41

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,067
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Found a body shop in my area with a celette bench, made a call and the owner said that fixing the car wouldn't wouldn't happen for under 5000, more towards 10000....im not paying that kind of money to fix a 3000 car, no matter the sentimental value i have in it. Time to find a shell or fix what i got.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 22 2010, 12:12 PM
Post #42

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 22 2010, 11:54 AM) *

Found a body shop in my area with a celette bench, made a call and the owner said that fixing the car wouldn't wouldn't happen for under 5000, more towards 10000....im not paying that kind of money to fix a 3000 car, no matter the sentimental value i have in it. Time to find a shell or fix what i got.

That's pure bullshit. They just don't want to deal with it. I am working on tracking down a Cellette bench in town here. I just spoke with a guy that used to own one. He sold it to another shop here in town. I have a call into them now. (small shop with a answering machine)

I placed a call to the Cellette rep and left him a voice mail as well. What a bunch of crap!

BTW, Fixture rental used to be 300.00- 450.00 shipped.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 22 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #43

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 22 2010, 12:56 AM) *

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 22 2010, 12:18 AM) *

does the place doing the chassis alignment rent the fixtures or is that something i have to locate?

I'd just call this guy. I'm sure he can tell you which shop in your area can bench your car.

Greg Fritz

Sales and Technical Support

630-396-6100 ext 6170 Office
630-495-4078 Fax

www.celette-na.com

I had a conversation with a Cellette rep. He is emailing info about the fixture availability, location and cost. I can either get you hooked up with the local shop or if they are tired of the old Cellette collecting dust in the corner I may just purchase the thing.

This will happen whether you ever fix your car or not. I have The raspberry car with a missing front clip and Sandy's I'm picking up in Cali in like two weeks. It took a hit to the front.

Your inquiry just prompted me to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time anyway.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 22 2010, 01:16 PM
Post #44

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 22 2010, 11:08 AM) *

Your inquiry just prompted me to do something I have been wanting to do for a long time anyway.

If you do, don't forget to make a 'backup copy' of the fixtures ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif) Andy
+Quote Post
carr914
post Feb 22 2010, 01:35 PM
Post #45

Racer from Birth
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 1,623
Region Association: South East States

Turnaround, What happened to the pictures you were going to post?
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Feb 22 2010, 02:23 PM
Post #46

the pictures were on an external hard drive which makes a weird clicking noise when it starts up, the computer doesn't recognize it anymore...been going on for a couple weeks or so, my cousin is taking a look at...hopefully he can get the files off of it.

Anyway, the guy i talked to that has the celette bench has worked on multiple 911's, and seemed to know what he was talking about. His idea was to pull the whole car apart again and leave it on the frame rack and then reweld all the stuff back into the car. Lots of time right there. I made the floor pans and inner longs myself, and i really don't want to have to completely undo everything i just did. I don't mind cutting slots into the longs, but taking everything back out. no thanks
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 22 2010, 02:34 PM
Post #47

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 22 2010, 02:23 PM) *

the pictures were on an external hard drive which makes a weird clicking noise when it starts up, the computer doesn't recognize it anymore...been going on for a couple weeks or so, my cousin is taking a look at...hopefully he can get the files off of it.

Anyway, the guy i talked to that has the celette bench has worked on multiple 911's, and seemed to know what he was talking about. His idea was to pull the whole car apart again and leave it on the frame rack and then reweld all the stuff back into the car. Lots of time right there. I made the floor pans and inner longs myself, and i really don't want to have to completely undo everything i just did. I don't mind cutting slots into the longs, but taking everything back out. no thanks

No need to rip apart all your work. It doesn't matter that you made your own pans and inner longs. The Cellette works off the suspension pickup points not the floor or longs. I suspect the cowl is leaning back which would cause the doors to sag at the rear. This would put the front most suspension pickup points of the car high and out of line. Should be able to bolt on the check sets (four center most fixtures) and find the issue. I would say it would be a matter of vertical cuts through your longs, check the upper body diamensions and adjust the car.
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Feb 22 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #48

right now were beginning to pull apart portions of the car, to get correct measurements. the front suspension is gonna get pulled off today, and well keep measuring to see where the car is off.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 22 2010, 05:51 PM
Post #49

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I heard back from the shop. I really couldn't read the guy. I asked him if he was interested in selling the bench. He said he would think about it. I asked him if he was interested in fixing your car. He said he would think about it.
Ok, but he did tell me that the local frame and axle guy has the second design Cellette bench that only requires the top section of the redsigned fixtures, It's the MZ model. Shipping cost for the fixtures are less because the tops come in a suitcase not a friggin shipping crate. The only thing is there may not be fixtures for the older chassis'. I'm still checking.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Feb 22 2010, 05:53 PM
Post #50

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Feb 22 2010, 03:51 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) I don't get it...

Think about it ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Feb 22 2010, 06:14 PM
Post #51

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418
Region Association: None

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 17 2010, 07:04 PM) *

I braced the chassis, but obviously not enough. I lined the doors up properly, had the gaps correct, and then put the braces in. I took the braces out today, and went to test fit the passenger door and it won't even come close to shutting. the door lock does not line up, i tried adjusting the hinges but had no luck. The things are way off....any one have a fix? I really don't want to buy a tub because i just put a ton of work into this one. If it comes down to buying a tub, i guess thats what ill have to do, but i really would like to avoid that.

I know that it is a long way but our man Kirk could get your car perfectly straight again in no more than a days work and 400 bucks. He is a master
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Feb 22 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #52

Id have to tow the car down to georgia, and that would be a lot....thats not a bad idea. I would bring the car down as a bare chassis, no motor, trans or suspension. Thats what were working on now...we accidentally broke one of the sway bar bolts head off. I may be able to pull that off, my brother lives in athens, i could just make a trip to see him and take the car to you guys as well. What if kirk would have to cut the car, would that add to the expense?

+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 23 2010, 06:57 PM
Post #53

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Rick, how about getting access to the one you know of long anough to get some god pictures and measurements. There isn;t that much there, and a bench could easily be replicated by you, or any one of us with the tools and experience. I know, I for one would have enough use to build one. I would imagine Perry might be interested too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The the only issue is the fixtures........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Feb 23 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #54

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 23 2010, 07:57 PM) *

Rick, how about getting access to the one you know of long anough to get some god pictures and measurements. There isn;t that much there, and a bench could easily be replicated by you, or any one of us with the tools and experience. I know, I for one would have enough use to build one. I would imagine Perry might be interested too (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) The the only issue is the fixtures........ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I bet Andy could get some detailed pics of the bare bench.

Rich
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 24 2010, 12:04 AM
Post #55

Hey nice rack! -Celette

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 23 2010, 06:57 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
[/quote]

Here's what I know about the bench. The early Celettes have a machined deck like decking a cylinder head. The fixtures bolt to the cross beams. The early fixtures are like the ones in Sir Andy's photos. The later model Celettes have a standard upright fixture set that is part of the bench when you purchase it. The fixtures bolt to the top of the uprights. This only requires a large suit case of tops not and entire crate of parts.

That was the drawback of the old bench was shipping the fixtures around.

I know there are 914 fixtures for the early bench. I haven't verified ther are fixtures for the redsigned bench.

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread. I should have started a new one.
+Quote Post
shaggy
post Feb 24 2010, 12:23 AM
Post #56

mechanic/welder/fabricator

Member No.: 4,869

how thick were the plates you welded on?
regardless its going to take a great deal of force to bend the chassis back.
having worked on 914s structurally i dont think there is a good way to do this. by bending the chassis with the plates intact you are only stretching(weakening) the structure somewhere else. you best bet would be to slash cut your plates. if you can do that that will relieve the stress on the chassis then see how much(if any) the chassis corrects. if it dosent correct enough then id think about straightening and welding the plates while the chassis is on the fixture.

you said you replaced part of the body structure prior to plating correct? when you set the door gaps were the adjustments at their limits?
what welder and settings did you use to weld the plates on?

if this is an AX car or something you might as well cage it now and not deal with this problem again later.

did you weld the car on the ground? or on a lift? with or without suspension?

-jim
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 25 2010, 06:28 PM
Post #57

Hey nice rack! -Celette

I'm near a deal on the Celette. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
turnaround89
post Feb 25 2010, 07:04 PM
Post #58

so heres the plan that we finally came up with. My dad and i are going to try and fix the problem ourselves...we figured ive put enough work into it so far to at least give this a shot. if we can't fix it, then we will resort to a frame rack, and since rick is getting closer to a deal with the celette i would take it up there. If he does not make the deal, i would haul it to AA, sooner or later my car will be straight again.

Next week were gonna start trying to fix the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Feb 25 2010, 07:10 PM
Post #59

Hey nice rack! -Celette

QUOTE(turnaround89 @ Feb 25 2010, 07:04 PM) *

so heres the plan that we finally came up with. My dad and i are going to try and fix the problem ourselves...we figured ive put enough work into it so far to at least give this a shot. if we can't fix it, then we will resort to a frame rack, and since rick is getting closer to a deal with the celette i would take it up there. If he does not make the deal, i would haul it to AA, sooner or later my car will be straight again.

Next week were gonna start trying to fix the car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

Use the chassis measurements listed here on the site. Measure everything twice and take your time. If you screw it up your no further off than you are now. Just be sure you check the car to be sure you know of the rear section is tipped forward or if the cowl is tipped back before you start trying to move things around.
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Feb 25 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #60

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Rick , I hope you get a bench ,
AArron @ Fat Six has a bench and the rental center for fixtures is in illinios.
http://flat6.com/?page_id=11

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

4 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th June 2024 - 06:34 PM