Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

19 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Retro '75 build, just like you would have seen back in the day
DanT
post Jul 20 2010, 10:10 PM
Post #201

Going back to the Dark Side!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,880
Region Association: None

still show it available online....and in Norcal, still in stores. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 20 2010, 10:16 PM
Post #202

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(DanT @ Jul 20 2010, 09:10 PM) *

still show it available online....and in Norcal, still in stores. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

I'll check again this week/weekend when I go in for house projects' stuff. Maybe they brought it back, after complaints about the useless stuff they had substituted for it (that crappy brand name began with "R" & had purple in the labeling IIRC). It'll save me a trip to Santa Ana to get it during business hours!
+Quote Post
Vysoc
post Jul 20 2010, 10:22 PM
Post #203

Vysoc

Member No.: 10,737
Region Association: South East States

Dan,

Congratulations on a great rebuild she looks fabulous!!!!!!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 20 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #204

QUOTE(Vysoc @ Jul 20 2010, 09:22 PM) *

Dan,

Congratulations on a great rebuild she looks fabulous!!!!!!

Vysoc (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

thank you very much, coming from another white late car
your car came out very nicely also... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 22 2010, 04:03 PM
Post #205

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 20 2010, 09:16 PM) *

I'll check again this week/weekend when I go in for house projects' stuff. Maybe they brought it back, after complaints about the useless stuff they had substituted for it (that crappy brand name began with "R" & had purple in the labeling IIRC). It'll save me a trip to Santa Ana to get it during business hours!

Bought a new bottle of Folex today from one of our local HDs.....tons on the shelf. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 22 2010, 04:05 PM
Post #206

TMI....

QUOTE(DanT @ Jul 22 2010, 03:03 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jul 20 2010, 09:16 PM) *

Bought a new bottle of Folex today from one of our local HDs.....tons on the shelf. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Me too yesterday - it's back!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Well actually I got 2 bottles, since the Westy carpet will probably use one by itself, with remainders to the BMW! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I'll try it on a corner of the tunnel carpet on my "Dark Tan" #503 carpet where it won't show under another carpet section/center console, then let it sit for long awhile in order to make sure it won't affect the color long term, since I cannot find an OEM driver's floor piece - let alone a full 10+/- pc. OEM replacement carpet set for that color anymore!

BTW - "ZEP" was the other brand of useless caqrpet/upholstery cleaner they tried to carry instead for awhile.
Now if they'll just get Liquid Wrench back, because I don't like PB Blaster as well.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 22 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #207

a few more little things.

Rain tray installed, rain funnels and down tubes installed. Down tube rubber grommets in the engine tin installed.
Still waiting on carpet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Jul 23 2010, 01:12 AM
Post #208

TMI....

Dan - TC'sGarage has the grommets on the tin for the CHT wire, you can order them online (only place I've found it).

http://www.tcsgarage.com/store/021119569&#...TEMP+SENSOR+914
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 29 2010, 10:03 PM
Post #209

Got my Morph carpet kit in Charcoal grey loop a few days ago.
Began the install tonight....did the passenger side long and placed the forward footwell piece....just placing everything in dry right now so it can sit in the sun/heat for awhile before I put it down with double sided carpet tape.
Also placed the piece behind the passengers seat....
Tomorrow I will complete the drivers side and remove the console so I can place that piece...
I plan on leaving it in this way for a while so everything will start to take shape..then I will stick it down more permanent except for the two main floor pieces. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Going to be taking it on a long cruise to Thunderhill this weekend....leave at 0dark30 on Saturday morning and then staying until Sunday afternoon. About 190 miles each way.
Be there to perform my duties for the GGR DE/TT/CR series as "race control"
A little overnight tent camping, should be a good weekend. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Jul 30 2010, 10:57 AM
Post #210

Carpet kit installed....interior back together.

I removed the center console but kept the panel the gauges are installed in. I then used the brackets that held the console in place to attach the center panel to.
This is temporary until I decide what I am going to do....get a new center console or just mount the gauges in a gauge pod...under the dash.
that will do it for this week, since I will be leaving for Thunderhill early in the morning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Boy does that charcoal grey loop carpet brighten up and clean up the look of the interior.
Also installed my repro stock shift knob from Mikey914....looks great.. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/flag.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 1 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #211

good trip this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
about 200 miles each way from home to ThunderHill and back...
Car ran without any issues.
right at 30mpg at 70-75mph all the way.
On the way home it was in the mid 90s most of the way and the car ran without getting hot and some stop and go traffic in the low 90 temps.
No pinging or knocking running on 87 Octane... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Got lots of positive comments from many of my 911/Boxster/996/997 owner friends.
At least in my neck of the woods, a well preserved or restored 914 is still considered cool and a real Porsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Aug 2 2010, 02:35 PM
Post #212

TMI....

QUOTE(DanT @ Aug 1 2010, 08:14 PM) *

good trip this weekend (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
about 200 miles each way from home to ThunderHill and back...
Car ran without any issues.
right at 30mpg at 70-75mph all the way.
On the way home it was in the mid 90s most of the way and the car ran without getting hot and some stop and go traffic in the low 90 temps.
No pinging or knocking running on 87 Octane... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Got lots of positive comments from many of my 911/Boxster/996/997 owner friends.
At least in my neck of the woods, a well preserved or restored 914 is still considered cool and a real Porsche. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Good to hear that Dan, but IMHO all our 914s should be running at least the 91 hi test, since the 1970's factory spec'd 91 ROZ/RON octane recco was based on the old & higher rating method.

At the cost of engine work it's just not worth it to cheap out on 87 regular gas in them.

When do get to see more pix of the carpet, exterior, etc.!!?? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 2 2010, 02:58 PM
Post #213

I'll take some more pics next week.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I ran 87 octane in my 2056 for 3 years with no ping, knock and no other issues...only time I ran 91 or 92 was when it was going to be on track and the ambient temps were going to be very hot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 18 2010, 11:41 AM
Post #214

car is now due for the first oil change, check the valve lash and a few last installs.
Tuna Can to be installed along with front sway bar.
negative side stripe should be here soon for install.

Car is being driven daily and is running like a top... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Aug 18 2010, 11:51 AM
Post #215

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Cool!

I pretty much drive mine daily unless the weather is just really bad.
+Quote Post
DanT
post Aug 23 2010, 10:28 PM
Post #216

Tuna Can is on, holes are drilled for the sway bar and the inside backing plates are installed. Custom U tabs will be welded to the A arms.

decided to go ahead and install new Factory rubber brake hoses.

fresh air blower needed a bit of coaxing back to life and the heater booster blower is now working...
so I will have heat once the weather gets cooler.....not the next couple of days since it is supposed to be over 100* in my neighborhood tomorrow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 4 2010, 08:33 PM
Post #217

Sway bar is now on with new bushings. All hardwared was bead blasted and painted.......what a difference in the turn in and handling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
first tuna can was seeping (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) so emailed Automotion and they 2nd day aired me a replacement at no cost... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)

New one installed and seems to be staying dry. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)

after getting all my heating and fresh air blowers up and running decided the various knobs needed some attention....fresh air knobs (two black and one red) cleaned up nicely.
Now the heater knob was faded to a nice pink....
Decided that I would try a little polishing...
100grit, 400 grit, 600 grit, 1000 grit and then some polishing compound on a polishing wheel......
now it is nice and red again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) Worth the 20 minutes of polishing.
Next will be a 6 point harness for the driver's seat for AX competition.
Looking for a nice old school harness bar for the shoulder portion...lap belt will be intalled with eye bolts in the normal seat belt locations. The stock and aftermarket belts will be installed in tandem, so I have street belts and competition belts (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 8 2010, 12:22 PM
Post #218

picked up a nice used Welt harness bar this morning... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Now waiting for my Momo 6pt harness to arrive. It has clip in attachments at all mounting points, so I will be installing clip eyes on the bar, instead of the usual wrap mount. This way the harness can be easily removed between events.
I will post some pics of the install when it is done...stock seat belts will be mounted in tandem with this for street use. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
DanT
post Sep 24 2010, 03:34 PM
Post #219

well the harness and the bar are installed....worked out nicely.

AXed the car for the first time last weekend...
Car ran flawlessly, and turned much better than I had counted on.
First 2 runs ran with front shocks at 1/2 firm and rears at full firm...was a bit tail happy.
So I tightened up the front end to full firm...car was well balanced, no push and could still steer the rear with the throttle (which is my driving style (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) )
Finished first in class and 4th overall in PAX (performance AX index).
Not bad for it's first use in anger, and I still haven't adjusted air pressures beyond making sure all tires were at 38psi when I left for the venue.
I am running Dunny Direzza Star Specs on the stock Fuchs...205x50x15s.
I may try a lower pressure at the next event but the 38 worked well with the suspension settings and the course design for that event.

So far my build for a nice street car/daily driver and AX car have pretty much met my planned expectations.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Sep 24 2010, 04:47 PM
Post #220

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pretty cool to get down to dailing in all the little things compared to cutting out cancer.

I will say I've been enjoying driving mine so far this year. It's just reg maint at this point and drive!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post

19 Pages V « < 9 10 11 12 13 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd July 2024 - 10:19 AM