Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Raby 2056 kit, Price increse???
ConeDodger
post Apr 5 2010, 03:58 PM
Post #21

Apex killer!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I quit shipping to Canada for a while. Without exception I was always asked to declare the value as $50 or check the box for gift. It is illegal from our end as well. There are fines for false declaration and potential jail time. Really, we love you guys but change your laws. Don't ask us to be complicit in breaking them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
MDG
post Apr 5 2010, 04:04 PM
Post #22

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

First I have heard of that. I have had many parts deliveries from all the usual suspects and many others from member vendors on this site. No one has ever brought this up. And I ship back and forth across the border on a daily basis in my company. What carrier was this BTW?
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Apr 5 2010, 04:07 PM
Post #23

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(MDG @ Apr 5 2010, 02:42 PM) *

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Apr 5 2010, 05:33 PM) *

Also since the Raby 2056 builds are NLA, you can check with McMark in Napa CA for his "Raby approved kit rebuilds" at $5k so you can keep the D-jet if you want,

No, not NLA. Actually, what Jake said was the 2056 '914S' kit for EFI is the one he is still doing . . . . . .

Mike - I meant that he's no longer doing any 2056 full rebuilds himself anymore, only 2270 & up, so McMark's the source for them for those of us lacking the skill/tools/time to do ourselves. I did see the kit there.

As to your exchange rate prediction - DANG - no more 85 cent coffee when I go up to BC!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post May 14 2010, 11:37 AM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,019

Just when i thought the kits were within reach, they went up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif) ........... I guess I will go the 'full' hands on method now (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
JmuRiz
post May 14 2010, 01:00 PM
Post #25

914 Guru

Member No.: 50
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I'd say the current kit offerings are a good deal for the DIY'er...for what you get. Heck when I'm ready I may learn how to build a motor with one of the 2270 kits...since I can't afford what I really want (a ~200+hp big 4 complete engine from Jake).
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
thomasotten
post May 15 2010, 10:36 AM
Post #26

Member No.: 1,349

Mine was like 3300 with a 20% discount from the "original" radio show. It came with new heads, even a new clutch. It is a 2056 which is plenty of power and it makes the car really fun to drive.
+Quote Post
Drums66
post May 15 2010, 01:17 PM
Post #27

914 Rudiments

Member No.: 151
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 15 2010, 09:36 AM) *

Mine was like 3300 with a 20% discount from the "original" radio show. It came with new heads, even a new clutch. It is a 2056 which is plenty of power and it makes the car really fun to drive.

......cool,that price seems more reasonable.....drive on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post May 15 2010, 09:52 PM
Post #28

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Cost is only a small portion of true "value". Today's kits are more powerful than their predecessors and use the most advanced camshaft and cylinder head profiles.
Though the net costs are more, the added performance helps to create a good balance that still keeps us buried with kit sales.

Today's kit cost US more than 3,300.00 to produce. Prices have increased steeply over the last few years for quality parts with us making and modifying more of our own components simply to maintain the quality that is always more important than reduced cost.

The kits still include all the new components for a longblock assembly, to include a clutch arrangement. They also come with full dynamic balancing.

It is possible to build an engine of the same size for less money, it is impossible to build a more efficient, easier to assemble and more proven engine than our kit for less money. Some try, I don't know of one that spent less in the end.

Its not for everyone.
+Quote Post
gothspeed
post May 15 2010, 11:29 PM
Post #29

Member No.: 10,019

Cool (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 11:17 AM