Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Picking up midrise lift tomorrow- WooHoo, Was MaxJax VS Midrise car lift question
RattPack
post Aug 2 2010, 06:41 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,006
Region Association: None

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 2 2010, 05:28 PM) *

Hey newbie...you almost sound like a maxjax salesman to me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)

I know it has the flavor, but a friend of mine is a huge 914 fan. Actually he was my Chief Master Sergeant in the Air National Guard - Van Nuys. We grew to be close as we aged. Funny. His initials R.A. I'm sure some of you on this board know of him.

He currently has a BendPak MD-6XP. It's a little beat up but seems to work well enough. But I'm still undecided. The tipping thing is what raises so many eyebrows - I don't want to minimize the concern.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 22 2010, 01:59 PM
Post #22

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

All of the armchair engineering argument aside, I haven't seen anyone post EXPERIENCE with this product pro or con?
If it is rated for 6K LBS and even if over rated I expect would be fine lifting our 2K lbs teeners. As to portability I wonder how often any one would be bolting/unbolting their posts from the floor once installed.
To me at approx. $2K it seems to be a pretty good option for the hobbyist garage.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 22 2010, 02:00 PM
Post #23

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26
Region Association: Canada

Do a google search.
+Quote Post
914werke
post Aug 22 2010, 02:47 PM
Post #24

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Pretty limited # of reviews, a LOT of FUD!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mark Henry
post Aug 22 2010, 03:16 PM
Post #25

that's what I do!

Member No.: 26

I used to build scissor lifts and the big thing I don't like is the lack of automatic safety locks. It uses pins that could be forgotten if one was in haste.

I hope they use in-line hydraulic fuses and I would definitely ask about this. A hydraulic fuse is a last ditch safety device in the event of a cut hose, etc. I also would ask if this was an ALI ( www.autolift.org/ ) certified lift.

Not much to a hydraulic fuse (pics), it can be all that stands between you and being squashed like a bug, but it doesn't replace a physical safety lock device.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
charliew
post Aug 22 2010, 06:01 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 7,958

I've spent a lot of time laying on my back under cars. For the 914 the lifts you'all are talking about may be better than floor jacks and jack stands but for me 2 grand will be sent on a two post fullsize lift. I just think it will give me more axcess to the middle of the car for tranny changes or exhaust work and still work on a flat bottomed rear or midengine car. I know it will be in the way when it's not being used but maybe I'll just use it to hold one of my toys up out of the way or just raise the arms up out of the way.
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Aug 22 2010, 09:18 PM
Post #27

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

With our cars being so light I'm sure the lift will hold OK. However, if you search on youtube, you see lots of 2 post lifts where the bolts pulled out of the floor.

I'd probably get that 12 " slab poured with deep heavy anchors, and oh yea, some of those 4' jack stands to put under the front and rear. Hay, no matter how much we try, we can't separate the 914 from it's beloved jack stands. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Andyrew
post Aug 22 2010, 10:47 PM
Post #28

Spooling.... Please wait

Member No.: 172
Region Association: Northern California

We have a 2 post lift, The bolts have to be checked every couple months.

It scares me to say the least, however the model we have doesnt need to be mounted to the floor so at least its stable when the vehicle is on the lift.
+Quote Post
race914
post Aug 23 2010, 08:56 AM
Post #29

73 914-4

Member No.: 5,027
Region Association: Central California

Thanks for the MaxJax link. That setup looks very interesting and I'm going to consider it for my second stall!

Here's what I have now. A mid-rise from Greg Smith Equipment:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...p;hl=post++lift

This thread includes the plans for the simple ramps I built. I've had no problems with this setup.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post May 5 2011, 08:13 AM
Post #30

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

Guess who is taking a sick day tomorrow to drive down to Indy to get his new midrise lift.

MMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WooHoo (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

Wife gave me the green light to get one. Thanks Julie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grouphug.gif) Also got the 80Gal two stage compressor setup. Electrician will be here in the next few days to wire up the 220V for it.

Can ya tell, I'm excited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Eric_Shea
post May 5 2011, 08:32 AM
Post #31

PMB Performance

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,110
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Right on Garold! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Gint
post May 5 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #32

Mike Ginter

Group: Admin
Member No.: 20
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Can't say I blame ya! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/monkeydance.gif)
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 5 2011, 07:13 AM) *
Can ya tell, I'm excited (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

+Quote Post
ewdysar
post May 28 2011, 12:42 PM
Post #33

What happens here, stays here.

Member No.: 3,030

So. Did anyone on this board end up buying a Max-Jax?

My other choice is a ezcarlift. From my perspective, the ezcarlift can be used out in the driveway as well as the garage and it stores small. The Max-Jax also stores well and given all of the other things going on in my garage, I can't dedicate half of it to permanent car space. Not enough headroom to store the 914 off the ground and get usable space below it. So a temporary lift that can be stashed out of the way looks like the best answer for me.
+Quote Post
spare time toys
post May 28 2011, 03:34 PM
Post #34

hooked on grilling food.

Member No.: 1,884
Region Association: Southwest Region

This is sort of in line with the topic at hand. Does anyone make the old single post lifts anymore like I remember as a kid hanging out at my pals dads Texaco station.
+Quote Post
rfuerst911sc
post May 29 2011, 05:41 AM
Post #35

Advanced Member

Member No.: 5,980
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Aug 22 2010, 01:16 PM) *

I used to build scissor lifts and the big thing I don't like is the lack of automatic safety locks. It uses pins that could be forgotten if one was in haste.

I hope they use in-line hydraulic fuses and I would definitely ask about this. A hydraulic fuse is a last ditch safety device in the event of a cut hose, etc. I also would ask if this was an ALI ( www.autolift.org/ ) certified lift.

Not much to a hydraulic fuse (pics), it can be all that stands between you and being squashed like a bug, but it doesn't replace a physical safety lock device.

I'm curious about these " pins " you are talking about. On my Ammco brand scissor lift it has an automatic safety latch/lock. As the lift raises there is a center bar that has four notches cut into the bar. As it raises there is a spring loaded safety catch which is another heavy steel piece. As the lift gets past each notch this safety latch springs into position automatically. Now it is true that if you stop the lift in between these four notches there would be nothing but hydraulic pressure holding the car up but I am always aware to make sure I stop the lift in one of those four positions. I take it from your comment that not all scissor lifts have this auto latch/lock feature ? To lower my lift I have to raise it a little bit to take the pressure off the catch, pull a handle similiar to a bicycle brake lever to disengage/pull back the safety latch and hold it open and lower the lift. I feel safe with this arrangement are you familiar with this setup ? Would be interested in your opinion on it.
+Quote Post
Krank
post May 29 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 10,922

Is your life worth more than "a good deal?" How about checking the safety standards boards in your own country to find out "the best" lift? I am currently looking for several lifts for my shop and find it is what the manufacturers (read re-sellers) don't say that worries me. Anyone know a link to an official "incident" reporting site about lift failures?
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 09:02 AM