Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tubeframe 914, Started work on my rear custom uprights
John
post Oct 2 2010, 06:40 PM
Post #81

member? what's a member?

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,615
Region Association: None

I've been toying with a similar idea but was planning to make my chassis fixture more stout.

You are going to powder coat your fixture? I take it that you plan on making more than one chassis.

Defiantly a neat project and very neat and clean work.

It sure was a nice tub that you started with.

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Zaney
post Oct 2 2010, 11:05 PM
Post #82

Deuchland en der Haus

Member No.: 1,738
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

+1 for the AWD 914! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
Awesome build! Go Suby Power!

+Quote Post
Hontec
post Oct 3 2010, 04:27 AM
Post #83

I see things.....

Member No.: 12,210
Region Association: Europe

QUOTE(Zaney @ Oct 3 2010, 07:05 AM) *

Thanks, the awd will involve some serious design work though, my greatest concern is how far back the engine will sit and how much understeer it will generate. On the positive side; The subi engine is such a light weight! All of their components are compared to porsche.

I will start fitting and figure out the options once the jig is finished and the car has been cut.
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Oct 3 2010, 04:34 AM
Post #84

I see things.....

QUOTE(John @ Oct 3 2010, 02:40 AM) *

I've been toying with a similar idea but was planning to make my chassis fixture more stout.

You are going to powder coat your fixture? I take it that you plan on making more than one chassis.

Defiantly a neat project and very neat and clean work.

It sure was a nice tub that you started with.

Thanks,

I do not know if I'll be making more than one chassis, but I hate rust and since I know somebody with a coating company this is just a simple step. I like to work tidy.......I know... OCD (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Oct 3 2010, 07:46 AM
Post #85

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

QUOTE(Hontec @ Oct 3 2010, 03:27 AM) *

Thanks, the awd will involve some serious design work though, my greatest concern is how far back the engine will sit and how much understeer it will generate. On the positive side; The subi engine is such a light weight! All of their components are compared to porsche.

I will start fitting and figure out the options once the jig is finished and the car has been cut.

The suspension (such as it is) can be tuned tp produce understeer or oversteer to your preference using the standard methods of springs and/or antiroll bars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E59nqYUMvHY

Subi power is in the cards for this car......bout 350 at the wheels should be about right....to start. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
RJMII
post Oct 3 2010, 09:50 AM
Post #86

Jim McIntosh

Member No.: 8,112

QUOTE(Hontec @ Oct 3 2010, 04:27 AM) *

I have to come out of lurk mode for a minute...

Are you going with the Subie 6 speed for the AWD? I think you have more to consider than just the weight of the engine for the understeer/oversteer issue.
The engine is indeed quite light, but how light is it compared to the bule of that extra long transmission that will be taking its place? By flipping the drive train around, wouldn't you need to take into consideration the amount of weight before the axles and after the axles? and the positioning of it all?
How far will the trans go into the driver compartment? take for example the Diablo, they have the bulk of the transmission about even with the driver's posterior.
I think AWD would be great to see, and I think you can shift a little bit of weight forward to keep your balance.

+Quote Post
Borderline
post Oct 3 2010, 11:52 AM
Post #87

Member No.: 3,577
Region Association: Northern California

I think making a 914 into a rear engined vehicle is sacrilege! The gawds will not look highly upon thee and nobody will like you!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Oct 3 2010, 03:46 PM
Post #88

I see things.....

QUOTE(Borderline @ Oct 3 2010, 07:52 PM) *

I think making a 914 into a rear engined vehicle is sacrilege! The gawds will not look highly upon thee and nobody will like you!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Now you got me motivated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/piratenanner.gif)

I live out of the goddamn box!
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Oct 3 2010, 03:51 PM
Post #89

I see things.....

QUOTE(RJMII @ Oct 3 2010, 05:50 PM) *

QUOTE(Hontec @ Oct 3 2010, 04:27 AM) *

I have to come out of lurk mode for a minute...

Are you going with the Subie 6 speed for the AWD? I think you have more to consider than just the weight of the engine for the understeer/oversteer issue.
The engine is indeed quite light, but how light is it compared to the bule of that extra long transmission that will be taking its place? By flipping the drive train around, wouldn't you need to take into consideration the amount of weight before the axles and after the axles? and the positioning of it all?
How far will the trans go into the driver compartment? take for example the Diablo, they have the bulk of the transmission about even with the driver's posterior.
I think AWD would be great to see, and I think you can shift a little bit of weight forward to keep your balance.

You may lurk (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) but my first measurements have told me the transmission will even stay well clear of the rear bulkhead, even in awd form with the cone attached. Aside from that, the bulkhead will be changed anyhow. with a slight driveshaft angle, I can even shift weight forward.
I will also change the way to bulky sidebeams that contain the airhose, so my interior wil be wider, more spacy and I will need to construct a center tunnel that will again aid in strength......

What the hell am I getting myself into.....ah well......for the fun of it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Oct 6 2010, 04:02 PM
Post #90

I see things.....

Major bummer today......spent a lot of time talking to the Dutch DMV and with the modifications I have planned, they will revoke my classic car title and the classic plates I have for it....hence it will become a modern car according to them and the production date will become the date of the new driveline......so in theory it will be a 1998 porsche 914....... They reason that since a 4wd version was never built and it will involve me changing the driveline and suspension, I will have changed 2/3's of the car, hence making it a prototype.... It will be possible but they will have to fully test it and give it an EU certification.......that will cost me dearly and not worth the effort. If I build it anyway and have the luck that the inspector at the yearly inspection doesn't know what he is testing, I will have huge issues with the insurance in case something happens......even worse; they will hold me responsible for damage and liability....not worth the effort, not even close.......so what I'm going to do for now is continue building the tubeframe and keep it mid-engined rwd but going for some kind of double wishbone setup.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Oct 6 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #91

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(Hontec @ Oct 6 2010, 03:02 PM) *

Major bummer today......spent a lot of time talking to the Dutch DMV and with the modifications I have planned, they will revoke my classic car title and the classic plates I have for it....hence it will become a modern car according to them and the production date will become the date of the new driveline......so in theory it will be a 1998 porsche 914....... They reason that since a 4wd version was never built and it will involve me changing the driveline and suspension, I will have changed 2/3's of the car, hence making it a prototype.... It will be possible but they will have to fully test it and give it an EU certification.......that will cost me dearly and not worth the effort. If I build it anyway and have the luck that the inspector at the yearly inspection doesn't know what he is testing, I will have huge issues with the insurance in case something happens......even worse; they will hold me responsible for damage and liability....not worth the effort, not even close.......so what I'm going to do for now is continue building the tubeframe and keep it mid-engined rwd but going for some kind of double wishbone setup.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Well, I'm sure someone here in the US would love to buy your 1998 914. We don't have those sort of inspections here in California. Based on the work so far, you car is going to be awesome!
+Quote Post
Britain Smith
post Oct 6 2010, 07:11 PM
Post #92

Nano Member

Member No.: 364

I am very interested to see what you come up with for the double wishbone rear suspension. Make it something that can be adapted (with fabrication) for my car and I would make a good customer.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net-364-1286413964.1.jpg)

-Britain
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Oct 6 2010, 07:15 PM
Post #93

Member No.: 1,179

Damn it man post some more pictures!!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Oct 6 2010, 08:00 PM
Post #94

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

So what about registering/insuring it somewhere else then bring it in? Even if you have to scale back this is still going to be an awesome car with amazing performance!!! So it will be radical, but not totally radical. Still thinking out loud... how about setting it up rear engine rear wheel drive, with the ability to add the front system at a later date? Would they go for a rear engine set up? Is that the hold up? Sounds like the tube frame isn't the issue.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Oct 6 2010, 08:38 PM
Post #95

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755

QUOTE(Hontec @ Sep 26 2010, 09:54 AM) *

Thanks guys, your inputs are appreciated!

@ Marty; you know Den Haag? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

...Yes indeed, I sent over an MSDS exhaust header/ crosspipe system to Den Haag last month. It was for a 24valve Mondeo V6.
Good to see gearheads in the Netherlands (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Randall...have you seen any 6 spd seq. gearboxes suited for the 914/ mid ??
Marty
+Quote Post
plymouth37
post Oct 6 2010, 11:54 PM
Post #96

Member No.: 4,138
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

How do you think they would feel about twin engine, twin transaxle awd? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
majkos
post Oct 7 2010, 08:12 AM
Post #97

Member No.: 1,729
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Oct 6 2010, 09:54 PM) *

How do you think they would feel about twin engine, twin transaxle awd? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

Supercharged! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)
+Quote Post
Sleepin
post Oct 7 2010, 12:14 PM
Post #98

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,357

QUOTE(plymouth37 @ Oct 6 2010, 11:54 PM) *

Been done, must have been fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgnCtkrmWUs?
+Quote Post
Hontec
post Oct 7 2010, 04:41 PM
Post #99

I see things.....

Been thinking all day and there is only one solution: build it all interchangable into one chassis and I think I have the solution!
+Quote Post
Zundfolge
post Oct 8 2010, 10:09 AM
Post #100

Member No.: 7,994

Keep in mind that the 914 was originally designed to be a front engine car (that's why the front trunk is so huge) so if you want to go AWD you might as well just put the engine up front.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 05:17 PM