Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Timing woes, I wish I wish I hadn't killed that fish!
mike_the_man
post Apr 23 2004, 11:20 AM
Post #21

I like stuff!

Group: Members
Member No.: 809

QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 23 2004, 09:08 AM)
Mike, the vacuum port on the throttle body goes the the diz side of the of the advance unit. Leave the other one open. The vacuum port on the plenum goes to the MPS. At least that's the way mine is hooked up and it runs most excellent.

Thats the way mine is hooked up too, but it runs most crappy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) I think I have other problems. Here's hoping some tigger points will cure it. Is there any way to test the trigger points? Visual inspection, or otherwise?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 23 2004, 11:25 AM
Post #22

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

I had a car last year that came to me and died in the driveway. Car ran like pure dog shit. We checked everything. He had an oil leak on the top of the motor cause the head vent tube was open. Finally removed, cleaned, and reinstalled the trigger points, and all was well. He drove the car to MUSR 5 a week later. Can't hurt to check em.
+Quote Post
nebreitling
post Apr 23 2004, 01:01 PM
Post #23

Member Emeritus

Member No.: 478

i f-ed with my trigger points a few times. everything looked fine, clean, etc. checked continuity, looked good. car still ran like shit. went ahead a replaced them, car picked right up.

worth cleaning up to see if that helps your problem, but nothing short of replacing would do the trick for me.
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Apr 23 2004, 06:25 PM
Post #24

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

Sorry, Slits--but I do not believe this is correct:
(IMG:http://www.rccauto.com/ebay/914tb2.jpg)

The distributor advance fitting needs to see "ported vacuum", which is only present on our cars right at the throttle body. Hooking that fitting up to the vacuum advance will result in very little effect except at idle, where it will "fight" somewhat with the vacuum retard which is also supplied with manifold vacuum.

The small fitting there actually goes to the Decel Valve. There is a small line there which is the "control" line opening up the DV, and that fitting gets a line run to the one shown above.

I'm not sure what the problem with the original poster is. Do you have a regular timing light with no "dial-in advance", or do you have one with the knob? The knob will f--k you up if it isn't at 0, let me tell you. Might be good to check with another timing light?

--DD
+Quote Post
mike_the_man
post Apr 23 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #25

I like stuff!

Member No.: 809

No knob on my timing light, other than me! It's just a plain old no frills timing light, but brand new. This was the first time I used it. I'll check with another, but I can't see that being the problem, although ya never know!
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 01:23 PM