Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Period radio install for total electrical moron
bembry
post Nov 21 2010, 10:10 AM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,499
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Guys,
I have a period Blaupunkt Frankfurt, as well as two cheapie 4X6 speakers that I want to put into my 914. I have the correct faceplate as well. Bunch of questions, and please pardon my ignorance. I've never done any wiring at all. Ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

What gauge wire do you recommend for the speakers?

What kind of connectors do I need?

Where do I get the power for the radio?

What do I mount the radio to in order to support it?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance, and again, pardon my ignorance.

Brent
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 21 2010, 10:21 AM
Post #2

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696
Region Association: None

Don't know if the radio had a shuttle (cage) it slid into for mounting in the dash, but it just slides into a properly sized hole in the dash.

Use plumber's tape to stabilize the radio. One end is screwed to the bulkhead and the other to the stud on the back of the radio. (Plumber's tape is the metal strip with lotsa holes in it).

Power comes from the fuse panel ... pick one of the power leads that is switched unless you want to be able to play the radio with the key off. A VOM makes this easy to find.

Speaker wire is speaker wire ... 16/18? gauge stranded. Wire nuts or solderless connectors to join wires; Spade terminals to attach to the speakers.

That's my take .......
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 21 2010, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Member No.: 8,476

My set-up, which I think was dealer installed, got it's power from the cigarette lighter. The speakers were wired in parallel for mono operation. I've removed the entire system due to its marginal performance. You're welcome to it for a modest price. It'll have to be packed well if shipping is required. One of the speaker enclosures has a crack at the bottom. I'll include the antenna too. Let me know.
+Quote Post
dr914@autoatlanta.com
post Nov 21 2010, 10:45 AM
Post #4

914 Guru

Member No.: 7,418

we still have in stock some of the old installation kits complete with instructions which will allow you to perfectly install it. Original power came from the cigar lighter believe it or not!!!

QUOTE(bembry @ Nov 21 2010, 09:10 AM) *

Guys,
I have a period Blaupunkt Frankfurt, as well as two cheapie 4X6 speakers that I want to put into my 914. I have the correct faceplate as well. Bunch of questions, and please pardon my ignorance. I've never done any wiring at all. Ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

What gauge wire do you recommend for the speakers?

What kind of connectors do I need?

Where do I get the power for the radio?

What do I mount the radio to in order to support it?

Any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance, and again, pardon my ignorance.

Brent

+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 21 2010, 10:51 AM
Post #5

George...it's cigarette, not cigar.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
tod914
post Nov 21 2010, 11:08 AM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Member No.: 170

I planned on color correcting & cleaning these up better prior to posting. Here you go though. Hope this helps. It's from a Motorola radio installation kit for a 914. I'll still need to photograph the parts.

Attached ImageAttached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Nov 21 2010, 11:09 AM
Post #7

Advanced Member

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attached Image
+Quote Post
tod914
post Nov 21 2010, 11:12 AM
Post #8

Advanced Member

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attached Image
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 21 2010, 11:50 AM
Post #9

You da man tod914!!!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2010, 01:08 PM
Post #10

TMI....

Member No.: 10,181
Region Association: Southern California

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 21 2010, 09:50 AM) *

You da man tod914!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .... good info Tod-ster!

BTW wind - note in Tod's Fig. 4 that it IS called a cigar lighter - a hold-over from the "olden days" when some of us older farts were around! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have the Motorola VW4412 AM/FM/8-Track for mine from when I got my 2L back in 12/75 (I think it's the 1st radio in the car), which is the similar to this Sapphire - except with a hinged door for the 8-track tape cartridge (& no PORSCHE script). So this works with my radio too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Brent will get a kick out of this too (going back in after cleaning/detailing it, when my resto is done) .......

Attached Image

..... FYI - In/Out is the push button position, M/S is Mono/Sterio w/ amber dot-light to right indicating 8-track tape "side" 1 or 2 & 4 center amber dot-lights are for the 4-tracks, slider AM/FM dial is hinged backwards to insert tape - otherwise all knobs/levers at L/R of face operate as on the push-button Sapphire you have.

PS - email me if you need some pix of the wires/etc. in place, since I took some hi-rez pix as I removed the radio/antenna/speakers as "half-zymers insurance" for when I put it back together.

So Brent, post your "as installed" pix here when your done!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
bembry
post Nov 21 2010, 01:24 PM
Post #11

Member No.: 4,499

Awesome--thanks. guys! Tom, I,ll definitely post some pics too
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2010, 01:31 PM
Post #12

TMI....

QUOTE(bembry @ Nov 21 2010, 11:24 AM) *

Awesome--thanks. guys! Tom, I,ll definitely post some pics too

BTW Brent - I don't recall if I posted it at your other F-license plate bracket post, but I'd go with a new bracket kit with hardware still available from Porsche at dealers & the other usual sources (PCA members get 20% parts discount from dealers from time to time, if you don't need it `til Spring join & wait for the email notice of discount).

That way you'll have a nice new/painted bracket & non-rusty hardware & non-crusty nylon inserts to last longer & not screw-up your chrome bumper, as you work on your ongoing resto.

The front bracket has the crossbar offset higher than midway, while the rear is midway IIRC (or visa versa).

Also, Tod is relatively close to you now down in Joysee (NJ) - also known as the "rocker rivet king", & Pat Garvey in the Philly area, & a bunch of others. IIRC you're now based in RI.

Cheers! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Nov 21 2010, 01:45 PM
Post #13

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

FYI

The Cigar Lighter will work but if you have ever removed yours it may be loose. You may experience a loss of ground when you hit a bump. It would be safer to run the ground to the same spot on the firewall that you put your support strap (shown as existing bracket on the diagram) for the back of the radio!
+Quote Post
Tom_T
post Nov 21 2010, 02:11 PM
Post #14

TMI....

QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ Nov 21 2010, 11:45 AM) *

FYI

The Cigar Lighter will work but if you have ever removed yours it may be loose. You may experience a loss of ground when you hit a bump. It would be safer to run the ground to the same spot on the firewall that you put your support strap (shown as existing bracket on the diagram) for the back of the radio!

If he gets/has the radio install kit, then he just needs to crimp the female blade connector on the ground wire to tighten it up - as opposed to cutting that off & adding a screw type connector for the rear mount strap that you're suggesting.

172k mi on mine & both were in & out, changed radios over those years as a DD, and nary once had the ground bounce off the cigar lighter ground. IMHO best to keep it stock where possible.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 21 2010, 07:41 PM
Post #15

QUOTE(Tom_T @ Nov 21 2010, 11:08 AM) *

QUOTE(windforfun @ Nov 21 2010, 09:50 AM) *

You da man tod914!!!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) .... good info Tod-ster!

BTW wind - note in Tod's Fig. 4 that it IS called a cigar lighter - a hold-over from the "olden days" when some of us older farts were around! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I have the Motorola VW4412 AM/FM/8-Track for mine from when I got my 2L back in 12/75 (I think it's the 1st radio in the car), which is the similar to this Sapphire - except with a hinged door for the 8-track tape cartridge (& no PORSCHE script). So this works with my radio too! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Brent will get a kick out of this too (going back in after cleaning/detailing it, when my resto is done) .......

Attached Image

..... FYI - In/Out is the push button position, M/S is Mono/Sterio w/ amber dot-light to right indicating 8-track tape "side" 1 or 2 & 4 center amber dot-lights are for the 4-tracks, slider AM/FM dial is hinged backwards to insert tape - otherwise all knobs/levers at L/R of face operate as on the push-button Sapphire you have.

PS - email me if you need some pix of the wires/etc. in place, since I took some hi-rez pix as I removed the radio/antenna/speakers as "half-zymers insurance" for when I put it back together.

So Brent, post your "as installed" pix here when your done!
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I just like to give George a hard time. BTW, the last time I smoked a cigar, I could taste it for a week afterwards.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif)
+Quote Post
geniusanthony
post Nov 21 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #16

Its a brand new "Chrome-sicle"

Member No.: 5,266

Windforfun, Could you pm/email me pics of your Radio takeout as I may be interested. somewhere I have some schematics of the old Motorola Saphire with provisions for MP3 and greater power handling.
+Quote Post
windforfun
post Nov 21 2010, 08:47 PM
Post #17

QUOTE(geniusanthony @ Nov 21 2010, 06:02 PM) *

Windforfun, Could you pm/email me pics of your Radio takeout as I may be interested. somewhere I have some schematics of the old Motorola Saphire with provisions for MP3 and greater power handling.

You bet. Give me a few days.
+Quote Post
moldygreg
post Apr 23 2014, 10:45 AM
Post #18

Stay Golden

Member No.: 15,253
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(tod914 @ Nov 21 2010, 10:12 AM) *

CLICK TO ENLARGE

Attached Image

This older thread is super helpful. I'm trying to confirm that, the blue wire for the radio dial light, piggy backs off of power to the cigarette lighter?

The diagram doesn't indicate if that's the case.

Thanks-

Greg
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Jan 15 2020, 11:58 PM
Post #19

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Love this old thread. Anyone have any info on proper wire colors for replicating the harness?
+Quote Post
JawjaPorsche
post Jan 16 2020, 05:43 AM
Post #20

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,351
Region Association: South East States

Did not know power was suppose to come from cigarette lighter! That is so cool! Learn something new. I guess my Porsche dealership didn’t get that memo.
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:20 AM