Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 9 10  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Palindrome 914 Build Thread, now on the chassis jig
76-914
post Mar 15 2019, 09:37 AM
Post #189

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

This is a great thread and I'd love to watch you finish this. At the time, I was so consumed with my own project that I missed this one dropping off the Radar. Looking forward to the resumption of your build and hope that it isn't too far away. Kent (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
worn
post Mar 15 2019, 05:49 PM
Post #190

can't remember

Member No.: 13,152
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Mar 14 2019, 07:08 PM) *

Hey, thanks to everyone reaching out. A lot of changes awhile back set me back, health problems, money problems, a bit of burnout on the project. I moved shops, got another vw bus and did a bit of a rebuild on it. The 914 kinda got on the back burner. But I still have it, waiting for the urge to do more metal work - seriously wish I could get that part tackled. Thinking of getting back to it. I'll post updates when I do.

Again thanks for hitting me up, everyone who did, means a lot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Thanks for the reply. I realized how much I had followed your progress as I cut out rusty parts of my own. Kinda figured you were still around, then realized you weren’t, good to hear you are ok.
+Quote Post
bbrock
post Mar 15 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #191

914 Guru

Member No.: 20,845
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(worn @ Mar 15 2019, 05:49 PM) *

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ Mar 14 2019, 07:08 PM) *

Hey, thanks to everyone reaching out. A lot of changes awhile back set me back, health problems, money problems, a bit of burnout on the project. I moved shops, got another vw bus and did a bit of a rebuild on it. The 914 kinda got on the back burner. But I still have it, waiting for the urge to do more metal work - seriously wish I could get that part tackled. Thinking of getting back to it. I'll post updates when I do.

Again thanks for hitting me up, everyone who did, means a lot. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)

Thanks for the reply. I realized how much I had followed your progress as I cut out rusty parts of my own. Kinda figured you were still around, then realized you weren’t, good to hear you are ok.

Ditto. There is a lot taken from this thread that went into my car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post May 30 2019, 12:22 AM
Post #192

Member No.: 21,899

I've been easing back into working on the 914, been working on it like a day or 2 a week. Pretty slow going but as long as I keep making some progress, I think I'll get there.

It had been like years since I worked on it so, instead of jumping back into the hell hole, I decided to get some momentum tackling the other end which I'd always kind of dreaded getting further into.

Back on page 1 of the thread, I had this at the driver side cowl.

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.914club.com-11782-1291419166.1.jpg)

Somewhere around page 3 I'd taken off the whole driver front fender. I think if I had to do it again, I would have cut the fender and left the front of it on - best to plan so you can weld where you can back it, and not mess with the seams as much.

But I've been looking at this for a few years now, thinking about how to go about it.

Attached Image

The driver door getting hyperextended did a number on the door pillar plus the rust at the top from I guess the cowl seal going bad.

Attached Image

Te cowl section was rusted thin and damaged a bit when taking the fender out. -Tricky area for real. I decided to go in. I got a little out of hand on the windshield pillar, and Ill have to fix that some...

Attached Image

Attached Image

I went further in with that out of the way. The inner fender well rust and then the damaged area of the door pillar.

Attached Image

I bent up a replacement panel. The metal seems thicker here, idk. I used a bit of a scrap piece of a trunk that has a rear inner fender well that seems thicker also.

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

I had another door pillar from the parts car that I'd saved. It's rough getting the part I needed off. I should have taken a pic of it once I drilled out all the spot welds holding it, but you can kind of see here after closing them up and grinding them down flush.

Attached Image

Attached Image

It took awhile to get the cut and the piece fitted, and I've been working on building up the lip at the top of the inner fender well where it was damaged from removing the fender, and at the front. Next to fix the fender itself and put the pillar patch back in.

I'm pretty slow, but I wanted to update even if it's now actually less together than it was lol (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) This should be easier than the hellhole and will feel good to get conquered, needs to be done... anyway, coming along again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 30 2019, 02:28 AM
Post #193

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

I dont know if you have a pillar patch piece, but AA made this ,,just an fyi...llookin good ..

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post May 30 2019, 07:11 AM
Post #194

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

nathanxnathan - So glad to see you still have the car and are back at it. We all, (mostly) know how things happen in life and projects get set aside for a bit. Life is complicated and can get messy. I am very happy to see you back at it and making progress. Soon the metal work will behind you and then it is all down hill at speed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post May 30 2019, 08:29 AM
Post #195

Advanced Member

Member No.: 17,068

I met Nathan at the old Aliso Viejo cars and coffee. He was in a VW bus and super interested in all of our 914s.

I forgot about this thread too, good to see him back at it.

Life is too short to not drive your 914.
+Quote Post
nathanxnathan
post May 30 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #196

Member No.: 21,899

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 30 2019, 01:28 AM) *

I dont know if you have a pillar patch piece, but AA made this ,,just an fyi...llookin good ..

Wow, pretty awesome that they make it... might have to get out my wallet for it. I don't have as much in that dept as I used to, but if I value my time at anything, I'd be making out I think...
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post May 31 2019, 12:01 AM
Post #197

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744

QUOTE(nathanxnathan @ May 30 2019, 11:25 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 30 2019, 01:28 AM) *

Wow, pretty awesome that they make it... might have to get out my wallet for it. I don't have as much in that dept as I used to, but if I value my time at anything, I'd be making out I think...

I know you have the skillls ,,,sometimes money talks .... plus you you could recharge on the beach.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Nov 11 2021, 02:40 PM
Post #198

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Just for fun today I read through this (monumental) build thread. Wow I was hoping to see a completed awesome ride in the end, but as many of us (me included) have gotten stalled mostly because life gets in the way.

Hopefully you can get back into this, great workmanship with the completed work
+Quote Post
lesorubcheek
post Nov 11 2021, 04:25 PM
Post #199

Member No.: 25,463
Region Association: South East States

Glad this thread was bumped. First time reading and lots of great ideas. Wishing you the best @nathanxnathan and hopes you will get her completed. The visualizer is awesome! Many thanks for sharing this.

Dan
+Quote Post
jim_hoyland
post Nov 11 2021, 05:27 PM
Post #200

Get that VIN ?

Member No.: 643

Good to hear from you again (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 9 10
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 11:21 AM