Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Palindrome 914 Build Thread, now on the chassis jig
Mike Bellis
post Dec 10 2011, 11:58 PM
Post #89

Resident Electrician

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,496
Region Association: None

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #90

Member No.: 11,782

The long is made up of like 15 different pieces.
Attached Image

Attached Image

must ... conquer ... rust ...
Attached Image

and the corner of the floor...
Attached Image

+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #91

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Dec 10 2011, 09:58 PM) *

I haven't documented the bite that well. I grabbed a blurry pic with my cell phone right when they took the bandage off today. I was surprised by how much pus had come out. There is a 'wick' inserted about 3/4 inch beneath my skin and yellow green pus like "shtuff" dripping out. I'd 'expressed' it the day before, in my bus, in the parking ramp at work, projectile pus-letting, was traumatized and went to the walk-in, then urgent care, then the ER.

I can only get tiny pics off my phone through verizon's online send thing as I don't have the cable/ might not work on my mac. You kind of can imagine despite being blurry/ small. That is almost peanut butter-like ooz coming off the wick.
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Elliot Cannon
post Dec 11 2011, 12:38 AM
Post #92

914 Guru

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 7,407

Great work on the car. Good on ya for saving one. Was that a brown recluse spider? It's good to work on the car but make sure you're healthy first.
Cheers, Elliot
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2011, 12:46 AM
Post #93

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 10 2011, 10:38 PM) *

Great work on the car. Good on ya for saving one. Was that a brown recluse spider? It's good to work on the car but make sure you're healthy first.
Cheers, Elliot

brown recluses don't get this far west, I saw. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) getting reorganized in the meantime.
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Dec 11 2011, 12:52 AM
Post #94

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 10 2011, 11:46 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Dec 10 2011, 10:38 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

brown recluses don't get this far west, I saw. Thanks (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) getting reorganized in the meantime.

We got them up north... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

Next time please get video of the projectile puss... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/evilgrin.gif)
+Quote Post
FourBlades
post Dec 11 2011, 06:27 AM
Post #95

From Wreck to Rockin

Member No.: 8,414
Region Association: South East States

You are a real craftsman, this is some of the most meticulous work on here.

Make sure you take care of the infection completely.

Take the time to get thorough treatment so it does not haunt you later.

John
+Quote Post
saigon71
post Dec 11 2011, 07:32 AM
Post #96

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,428
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

Your craftsmanship is awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) Our cars have similar rust issues...mine is worse down low (longs, etc) but yours took a beating on the top half.

Take good care of that spider bite! I was clearing brush at my Mom's place a few years back and got bit. Still don't know what type of spider it was...but it jacked me up pretty good and seemed to "dissolve" some of the flesh on my arm.

Great work!
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 11 2011, 08:23 AM
Post #97

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Spider bite , nasty, get well.
Awesome splice work, Looks like you need a shrink-er/stretch-er for your flanges.

I agree about the rotary phase converter the only way to go, I have used 4 of the little box type, I even had one switchable between 1-3HP to 3-5HP.
Yes they work, But no power, Not good for starting and stopping reversing, In the end I finally bought a rotary and love it. Esp for multiple loads.
+Quote Post
BarberDave
post Dec 11 2011, 09:00 AM
Post #98

Barberdave

Member No.: 135
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

WOW, What talent !!! I did mine in 2000 , with the help of 2 great friends.

My skills improved , but never approched yours.

You fabed most of your replacement panels, why ? Money ?

There is a place called Restoration Design that makes everything you did,

along with Egrman , and other vendors here. Seems to me that would be the

quickest way. I know there is the factor of ," Why buy it when I have the

ability to do it my self". Any way you have my admiration on both the ability,

and skill set.

Now don't you know that any 914ers garage is never clean and organized

, next will come a bigger garage , then a storage shed, this and the need

too aquire more parts cars, ( just ask Jamie Rust ) in the PNW.

There is no cure and no 12 step program to help you. Your hooked!!!!

Thanks for this thread and for saveing 2 914,s. Did you sent the vins to

Andy ? Great job ! Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2011, 02:14 PM
Post #99

Thanks, guys for all the compliments/ encouragement. I really can't wait to get her together!

The way restoration design does the hell hole repair isn't the same as factory from what I can figure - they omit the outer piece so just the corrugated piece is used, which I didn't want to do. Like on their site, if you click on the image for '22'
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.restoration-design.com-11782-1323634475.1.jpg)

you get this, which is the inner
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.restoration-design.com-11782-1323634476.2.jpg)

Auto Atlanta has the whole shebang, 22 and 23 as 1 piece, from the factory, but for a whopping $3000! I did think about that but, ... no. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

So I'm doing it the hard way. The tig is a big help. A shrinker stretcher would be nice, like what Eastwood has, though I don't like how it rough the metal all up, how it works.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.eastwood.com-11782-1323634476.3.jpg)

Oh, I'll be doing some more pus-letting soon - just got back from the 3rd trip to the hospital for antibiotic treatment and now I'm on my own. They 've instructed me on how to express it, insert a new wick, and dress it.... can't wait (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif) We'll see if I can get a video. Seriously, it's gross like you have never imagined, like having diarrhea out your arm, the nurses were all very impressed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 11 2011, 02:27 PM
Post #100

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 11 2011, 12:14 PM) *
The way restoration design does the hell hole repair isn't the same as factory from what I can figure - they omit the outer piece so just the corrugated piece is used, which I didn't want to do.

I'm pretty sure RD has both pieces. There was a thread about that a while ago.

They are pretty active here, PM peteyd if you have questions.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #101

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 11 2011, 12:27 PM) *

The way restoration design does the hell hole repair isn't the same as factory from what I can figure - they omit the outer piece so just the corrugated piece is used, which I didn't want to do.

Thanks, I've pm'd him. I can't remember if I'd called them about this, or maybe talking to Dr 914 at AA, or what but I had somehow concluded otherwise. Hopefully I was wrong as maybe they would also have, though doubtful, the piece forward of the firewall, the inner. It's got even deeper corrugations at the bottom to fit over the outer piece's corrugations. I've got nothing that is salvageable that is like that and will have to make it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 11 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #102

QUOTE(BarberDave @ Dec 11 2011, 07:00 AM) *

There is no cure and no 12 step program to help you. Your hooked!!!!

Thanks for this thread and for saveing 2 914,s. Did you sent the vins to

Andy ? Great job ! Dave (IMG:style_emoticons/default/slap.gif)

I'm actually subscribed subscribed to the whole Garage forum here, meaning I see every thread starting post at minimum. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

I look forward to commencing work on my car for 4-12 hours per day once I heal, maybe 2 weeks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chowtime.gif)

I've finally got the chance (can't work on my car) to enter the 2nd car to the registry. I explained there how, despite her being cut up, I hope to one day fabricate an all steel narrow bodied 914 using its shell, with all of the outer panels being detachable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif)

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Dec 11 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #103

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

insert a new wick, and dress it..

I had staff infection in an incision where they had inserted a chest tube, nasty stuff.
The the gizmo I had for 2 weeks was a vacuum pump sealed to my body pulling a vacuum on the infected area sucking both fluid and promoting healing. I had to visit every other day to have the wick changed and reattach.. I had to do antibiotics through a central venous catheter.

Before this all got figured out ,I knew I was in trouble when Hard coughing to excite my lungs to regain breathing , I blew a big blob of goo out the wound , that was fine 12 hours earlier. Honey I think I need to go to Emergency Again, 10 days later was the above pump and stuff.

Take Care Man , I finally realized how fragile the human body can be.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sawzall-smiley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 13 2011, 05:37 PM
Post #104

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 11 2011, 03:08 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 11 2011, 12:27 PM) *

Thanks, I've pm'd him. I can't remember if I'd called them about this, or maybe talking to Dr 914 at AA, or what but I had somehow concluded otherwise. Hopefully I was wrong as maybe they would also have, though doubtful, the piece forward of the firewall, the inner. It's got even deeper corrugations at the bottom to fit over the outer piece's corrugations. I've got nothing that is salvageable that is like that and will have to make it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)

it took me 5 messages back and forth to clarify what I was talking about, but I'm finally sure about this now. Nobody makes the smooth piece that goes just behind the passenger suspension console, the passenger outside inner long, rear of the fire wall, nor do they make the passenger inside inner long forward of the firewall. - The way they do it, the inside inner long behind the firewall connects directly to the outside inner long that is in front of the firewall. Hope that's clear (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif)
You can see it in this pic
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.darrylsgarage.com-11782-1323819474.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 13 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #105

Resident German

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 13 2011, 03:37 PM) *
the inside inner long behind the firewall connects directly to the outside inner long that is in front of the firewall.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Now you got me all confuzzled ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Krieger
post Dec 13 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #106

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,104

Very impressive fab skills. Keep on keepen on!
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Dec 13 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #107

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 13 2011, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 13 2011, 03:37 PM) *
the inside inner long behind the firewall connects directly to the outside inner long that is in front of the firewall.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Now you got me all confuzzled ... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The longs are supposed to be 2 layers of sheet metal from just forward of the seatbelt hole/ jack post all the way back to the top of the inner suspension console.

Here is quoted the message that I think made it clear. I've been told I'm wrong about this a few times so I just want to set it straight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

(adding product pic/part numbers for clarity)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.restoration-design.com-11782-1323828439.1.jpg)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.restoration-design.com-11782-1323828440.2.jpg)

I am still unsure of what piece it is that you are referring to. Perhaps if you had a porsche part number or even take
a picture of your car and send me that picture. To the best of my knowledge there is nothing that lays over P351,
but I could be wrong.
Send me a photo to
[restoration design]

Hi, Peter,
Sending this in continuation of our conversion on 914world pm.
This is my photo, the entirety of the inner passenger long taken out. It is somewhat obscured by the heater tube,
but you can see the P351, the inside inner long, extends forward of the firewall. The part that has surface rust and
goes forward to the heater bracket is a separate piece than P352 - it goes inside it.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.914club.com-11782-1294592745.4.jpg)

Similarly, P352 does not get butt welded to P351. it should be attached, rear of the firewall, to a smooth piece. You
can see in this image that the smooth piece has been partially cut away. It goes rearward to the front of the rear
trunk, and is the piece that the inner suspension console is attached to. The part that is cut away from this piece
also has an indent for the engine mount, to lay over the indent that is part of P351.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/www.eggscollective.org-11782-1291433482.2.jpg)

You can see the driver version of P352 attached to a smooth section - From the factory, P352 is part of the piece I
am talking about - I am looking for the part of it that is rear of the firewall.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads/post-8858-1280502713.jpg)

Hopefully this will make it clear, the 2 pieces that I'm talking about.
Nathan Scruggs

Nathan,

I finally see what you are talking about. I didn’t even realize that there was a piece that covers the P352. Unfortunately I do not have that piece. I have that NOS piece but will not be making that die for the foreseeable future. Looks like you will have to fab something up yourself or hack something out of a parts car. I have no used 914s here with that piece in good condition.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Dec 13 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #108

Resident German

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ Dec 13 2011, 06:07 PM) *
The longs are supposed to be 2 layers of sheet metal from just forward of the seatbelt hole/ jack post all the way back to the top of the inner suspension console.

Ok, now i get it. That inner part (with the ribs) was added on later cars, early cars don't have that.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V « < 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 6th October 2024 - 01:14 AM