Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

20 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Apollo Racer Build Thread, EZ36 Build-Up with ITB's!
76-914
post Feb 10 2015, 10:12 PM
Post #261

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Yeah, I need to quieten mine down which means I'll be doing what you are, shortly. Which means more 90's and more muffler. I'll miss the HP but not the noise. Is that a 4" or 6" radius J bend ( or U bend ) that you cut down? Alumanized or SS? Looks good!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 10 2015, 10:16 PM
Post #262

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 10 2015, 09:12 PM) *

Yeah, I need to quieten mine down which means I'll be doing what you are, shortly. Which means more 90's and more muffler. I'll miss the HP but not the noise. Is that a 4" or 6" radius J bend ( or U bend ) that you cut down? Alumanized or SS? Looks good!

Aluminized remnant bends complements or Marty over at MSDS! Super great guy to work with! I used 90 deg. elbows, but i'm not sure what the radius was. looks to be about 4" from the center to the outside.
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 10 2015, 11:14 PM
Post #263

Advanced Member

Member No.: 2,755
Region Association: None

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 10 2015, 08:16 PM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Feb 10 2015, 09:12 PM) *

Aluminized remnant bends complements or Marty over at MSDS! Super great guy to work with! I used 90 deg. elbows, but i'm not sure what the radius was. looks to be about 4" from the center to the outside.

Thanks for the comments ! the radius is 4. In the header business, big radius won't get you in + out of tight places (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)
I even do some 1-D bending on special order. 1-D is when the diameter (od) of the tube=the same numerical radius ; example a 3" tube mandrel -bent on a 3 R .
Marty
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 11 2015, 06:55 AM
Post #264

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Great looking welds- look forward to the progress on this! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 19 2015, 09:57 PM
Post #265

Professional Enthusiast

I finished up the flanges and the muffler sub pipes. With the 6" race mufflers on there it is still WAY to loud for every day driving. I have got some larger mufflers now on order to test and see if I can improve the noise level a bit!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 19 2015, 10:10 PM
Post #266

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Marty or anyone have experience with the Flowmaster " hushpowers " ? they look fairly small and compact which worries me they may be excessively restrictive if they run as quiet as they do (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH_2PFNmWog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd4e8htvEfc
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Feb 19 2015, 10:21 PM
Post #267

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

Nevermind. Apparently they aren't recommended for 4&6 cylinder cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad2.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 19 2015, 10:26 PM
Post #268

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(scotty b @ Feb 19 2015, 09:21 PM) *

Nevermind. Apparently they aren't recommended for 4&6 cylinder cars (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad2.gif)

I wonder why?
+Quote Post
Amenson
post Feb 19 2015, 11:10 PM
Post #269

That's opposite lock!!

Member No.: 4,154

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 19 2015, 07:57 PM) *

I finished up the flanges and the muffler sub pipes. With the 6" race mufflers on there it is still WAY to loud for every day driving. I have got some larger mufflers now on order to test and see if I can improve the noise level a bit!

Turbo's are very good at sound attenuation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Feb 20 2015, 07:33 AM
Post #270

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

QUOTE(Amenson @ Feb 19 2015, 11:10 PM) *

Turbo's are very good at sound attenuation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stirthepot.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)

That's what Bob used to say a lot...also another minor reason he went to the EZ30. More room for the turbo stuff.

Speaking of Bob...Ross if you can pull it off you should add a center muffler like Bob's. That might help quiet it all down. His is very quiet unless you step on it, and even then it's not obnoxious. I can relate to the challenges of the cradle setup.

Attached Image

He used a tubular muffler and added two exhaust ports, although if the Camaro-style 2-in-2 out setup could be used (rotated so that it fits) go for that.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 20 2015, 07:39 AM
Post #271

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 20 2015, 06:33 AM) *

Speaking of Bob...Ross if you can pull it off you should add a center muffler like Bob's. That might help quiet it all down. His is very quiet unless you step on it, and even then it's not obnoxious. I can relate to the challenges of the cradle setup.

Attached Image

He used a tubular muffler and added two exhaust ports, although if the Camaro-style 2-in-2 out setup could be used (rotated so that it fits) go for that.

With the bellcrank cable shift setup there isn't much room behind the transmission. I might be able to get away with the center outlet though.. plus it will look great!
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 20 2015, 10:00 AM
Post #272

Advanced Member

Worth looking into for small compact "Turbo profile" mufflers:
Spintech brand.
These come in all sorts of small medium and large sizes. Excellent noise control, without excessive backpressure. Patented chamber design+NO packing to disintegrate. We are currently using these on the Fiat 500 Abarth cat back with good results (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
Marty
+Quote Post
76-914
post Feb 20 2015, 10:05 AM
Post #273

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

Thx for that tip, Marty. I'm going check this out. Currently re-designing my exhaust system, also. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
914forme
post Feb 20 2015, 10:18 AM
Post #274

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

Great Tip Marty, Now to build some cardboard mock ups and go to town finding a place to fit them.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 20 2015, 09:09 PM
Post #275

Professional Enthusiast

So, while I'm waiting for some new exhaust parts to come in I'm thinking about working on how to flip my intake manifold. I have seen it done on the EZ30R's (plastic manifold) but never the EZ30D.

It seems to me that the first headache are the upper coolant pipes which have a physical interference with the intake when flipping it on the 30D. I have given the stock coolant routing diagram below:
Attached Image

My question is, can I eliminate the coolant pipe (and heater core return pipe) all together? (diagram below)
Attached Image

I would also lose the throttle body heater, but I don't feel like that's an issue unless I'm driving in freezing conditions often (not likely).

The only downside I can see is that it looks like during warm up (t-stat closed) the coolant flows through the heater core, bypassing the thermostat.

I would have to drill a larger bypass hole in the thermostat to compensate, which would slow engine warm up time.

Perhaps it would be better to only delete the throttle body heater and run a flexible hose in place of the coolant pipe? (diagram). What is the consensus World?
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Maltese Falcon
post Feb 21 2015, 01:42 AM
Post #276

Advanced Member

QUOTE(914forme @ Feb 20 2015, 08:18 AM) *

Great Tip Marty, Now to build some cardboard mock ups and go to town finding a place to fit them.

Spin tech should have physical muffler dimensions and diagrams of inlet / outlet positions /offsets on their site.
+Quote Post
veekry9
post Feb 21 2015, 02:47 AM
Post #277

OldMember

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 16,025
Region Association: Canada

This is great work and journaling,but I gotta "pipe"up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1bXPNy1Yn4

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/af...xhaust-systems/14K for a nice header? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I hope this helps in some way toward building a better header with more clearance and performance in evacuating 500cc cylinders.
The oval ex ports pose a challenge to avoid a bottleneck close to the flange.
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 21 2015, 08:22 AM
Post #278

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(veekry9 @ Feb 21 2015, 01:47 AM) *

This is great work and journaling,but I gotta "pipe"up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/af...xhaust-systems/14K for a nice header? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

I hope this helps in some way toward building a better header with more clearance and performance in evacuating 500cc cylinders.
The oval ex ports pose a challenge to avoid a bottleneck close to the flange.

That was a good vid! Thanks!

It eally reminds me of how much I need to get a "Baseline" read on my engine so I know if the changes I'm making are helping or hurting!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Feb 21 2015, 08:46 AM
Post #279

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

QUOTE(rnellums @ Feb 20 2015, 08:09 PM) *

So, while I'm waiting for some new exhaust parts to come in I'm thinking about working on how to flip my intake manifold. I have seen it done on the EZ30R's (plastic manifold) but never the EZ30D.

It seems to me that the first headache are the upper coolant pipes which have a physical interference with the intake when flipping it on the 30D. I have given the stock coolant routing diagram below:
Attached Image

My question is, can I eliminate the coolant pipe (and heater core return pipe) all together? (diagram below)
Attached Image

I would also lose the throttle body heater, but I don't feel like that's an issue unless I'm driving in freezing conditions often (not likely).

The only downside I can see is that it looks like during warm up (t-stat closed) the coolant flows through the heater core, bypassing the thermostat.

I would have to drill a larger bypass hole in the thermostat to compensate, which would slow engine warm up time.

Perhaps it would be better to only delete the throttle body heater and run a flexible hose in place of the coolant pipe? (diagram). What is the consensus World?
Attached Image

You may end up with some really funky idle problems deleting that connection regardless of the weather. That usually results in the surging sound you hear on some cars when they're idling and your mileage may drop- it controls a few different functions as I recall... it may work okay but I'd be skeerd...
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Feb 21 2015, 08:56 AM
Post #280

Professional Enthusiast

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Feb 21 2015, 07:46 AM) *

You may end up with some really funky idle problems deleting that connection regardless of the weather. That usually results in the surging sound you hear on some cars when they're idling and your mileage may drop- it controls a few different functions as I recall... it may work okay but I'd be skeerd...

My feeling is there there is very little flow through the throttle body currently anyways, as it usually depends on the pressure drop across the heater core to drive the flow. Without the heater core making a pressure differential, there is not reason to flow through the throttle body instead of around it.
+Quote Post

20 Pages V « < 12 13 14 15 16 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 01:02 AM