Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SSI heat exchanger warning
mepstein
post Oct 6 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #21

914-6 GT in waiting

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,825
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Oct 6 2011, 02:11 PM) *

Sounds like we should see if someone is willing to make new SSHE's even though the price would be PRICEY.

Racer Chris at Tangerine?

ALL Stainless?

Something to consider.

Life is good, but CO is bad.

I don't use heat, but this scared me good. I checked mine when off the car last spring by filling them up with water and looking for leaks pipe by pipe, but it was all good, still, no fun to gas oneself unknowingly.

John

I'm pretty sure they are available new from Mittlemotor - pretty but pricey.

http://www.mittelmotor.de/webshop/englisch/mm.htm $1,200

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
User is online!Profile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Nov 11 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #22

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

I had a 1.7 set of SSIs on my 914 and after many attempts at tightening up what I thought was an exhaust leak at the head found out the pipe has a crack at the first bend inside the clamshell (noticed this when I was looking at it at night and saw fire shooting out).

Removed that set to install a 2.0 set I have had for years and years. On the driver side unit, noticed there was a crack at the point where the pipe entered the clamshell which was caused by stress from the other end not quite lining up to the exhaust hanger. Had to be pulled over about 1/4" or so. Over time, the crack formed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

OK... on to my final set of 2.0 exchangers. No visible cracks but one of the pipes can be twisted slightly back and forth so that is also useless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Three sets of SSI exchangers... all three sets have at least one side with issues.

I was hoping to get some heat into my 914. Think I will block off the driver side and just hook up the passenger side. Then will see about having the bad exchangers repaired (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mikey914
post Nov 11 2011, 12:57 PM
Post #23

The rubber man

Member No.: 3,348
Region Association: None

A simple cheap insurance is one of these. You can pick them up and may airport FBOs (fixed base operators) for less than $5. Just look up learn to fly and your local airport and call to see if they have them. Or buy from ASA directly.

http://www.asa2fly.com/Carbon-Monoxide-Det...2_product1.aspx

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
914ltd
post Nov 11 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 581

Let me suggest you don't repair the bad SSI's. We hammered on the internal pipes on the cracked ones and the metal shattered. A repair is not worth the risk. Brad

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Nov 11 2011, 10:21 AM) *

I had a 1.7 set of SSIs on my 914 and after many attempts at tightening up what I thought was an exhaust leak at the head found out the pipe has a crack at the first bend inside the clamshell (noticed this when I was looking at it at night and saw fire shooting out).

Removed that set to install a 2.0 set I have had for years and years. On the driver side unit, noticed there was a crack at the point where the pipe entered the clamshell which was caused by stress from the other end not quite lining up to the exhaust hanger. Had to be pulled over about 1/4" or so. Over time, the crack formed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

OK... on to my final set of 2.0 exchangers. No visible cracks but one of the pipes can be twisted slightly back and forth so that is also useless (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Three sets of SSI exchangers... all three sets have at least one side with issues.

I was hoping to get some heat into my 914. Think I will block off the driver side and just hook up the passenger side. Then will see about having the bad exchangers repaired (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welder.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 11 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #25

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

my daily driver I switched to gas heat, Nice dry clean heat. Plus a flic a of a switch its heating no engine running.

+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Nov 11 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #26

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419

QUOTE(914ltd @ Nov 11 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Let me suggest you don't repair the bad SSI's. We hammered on the internal pipes on the cracked ones and the metal shattered. A repair is not worth the risk. Brad

Thanks for the warning. I haven't looked real close but the 2.0 pipe with the crack actually developed a hole so it seems it could be brittle.

Makes buying these things used a bit of a risk, doesn't it? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 11 2011, 10:32 PM
Post #27

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

If you have any pictures of your gas heater and it's installation, please share them with the group. I'm sure people would love to see them.

Also, thanks to Brad for the warning!
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 17 2011, 10:10 PM
Post #28

Major Member

Member No.: 2,660

I just put my car back together and drove it for the first time in about 4 years. One change I made was to install 2.0 SSIs that I bought from Brad at a swap meet probably 12 years ago. I also blasted, painted, and installed a really greasy set of branch pipes and j tubes that I bought. I let them soak in my parts washer for several days, and they were still pretty nasty, and as you know, there is no way to really get to the inside completely.

Anyway, I took it out tonight to get gas. I filled it up, went in to pay, and when I came out, the cockpit was filled with smoke. It didn't really smell like exhaust, so now I am wondering if it is residual crap burning off the inside of my restored parts, or if I have leaking SSIs.

Can anyone think of a way to test them on the car?
+Quote Post
GeorgeRud
post Nov 17 2011, 10:23 PM
Post #29

Advanced Member

Member No.: 4,482
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You could get a CO detector card, turn the heat on full with the top down, and run the car around with the card by the heat outlet to see if there is any sign of CO. Alternatively, CO detectors are available for RVs that run on 12 volts.

If you did restore the old heat exchangers, I would imagine that you will have a lot of residual stuff burning off the first few times you use them.

It pays to be safe if you're not sure.
+Quote Post
69rsss
post Nov 18 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #30

Member No.: 13,745
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(mepstein @ Oct 6 2011, 01:12 PM) *

QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Oct 6 2011, 02:11 PM) *

Sounds like we should see if someone is willing to make new SSHE's even though the price would be PRICEY.

Racer Chris at Tangerine?

ALL Stainless?

Something to consider.

Life is good, but CO is bad.

I don't use heat, but this scared me good. I checked mine when off the car last spring by filling them up with water and looking for leaks pipe by pipe, but it was all good, still, no fun to gas oneself unknowingly.

John

I'm pretty sure they are available new from Mittlemotor - pretty but pricey.

http://www.mittelmotor.de/webshop/englisch/mm.htm $1,200

John, These are the best looking set I've seen yet I looked them up but it desnt look like you can get them in the states. Any other vendors carry these?
thanks Joe
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Nov 18 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #31

Major Member

I picked this up at HD Racing today. $28 is a small price to pay for peace of mind. I would recommend one for anyone running heat with an air-cooled engine.

CO Detector

I am contemplating where to put it. I may velcro it under the dash, just put it in the glove box, or place it behind my seat. From what I have read, CO mixes pretty freely with air, meaning that it is unlikely that there will be a "pocket" of CO under the dash, or up by the windshield.

More reading on CO:
Amazing survival story
CO detector types, reviews
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Nov 18 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #32

Member No.: 9,270

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ Nov 18 2011, 05:00 PM) *

I picked this up at HD Racing today. $28 is a small price to pay for peace of mind. I would recommend one for anyone running heat with an air-cooled engine.

CO Detector

I am contemplating where to put it. I may velcro it under the dash, just put it in the glove box, or place it behind my seat. From what I have read, CO mixes pretty freely with air, meaning that it is unlikely that there will be a "pocket" of CO under the dash, or up by the windshield.

More reading on CO:
Amazing survival story
CO detector types, reviews

Just an idea Ken , remove the heat exchanger hose on the cabin side leaving it connected to the heat exchanger . Run the engine and aux fan also to test for CO2 right off the heat exchanger itself . that should tell you if the exhaust is leaking into the clamshells, and not risk too much inhalation of fumes . Basicaly testing the air volume before it reaches the cabin. Good luck with your findings and let us know what you find.

Jack
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 19 2011, 05:26 AM
Post #33

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

Thanks for posting this nugget.

We all love our 914s but no one wants to be buried in it especially while still driving down the street.
+Quote Post
nathansnathan
post Nov 19 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #34

Member No.: 11,782

I found something similar on a pair of factory bus heat exchangers, though those have a cast aluminum heat sink around them and are steel. I had the sheet metal off of them. I put a rubber stopper in one end, modified another stopper with a cut-off a bicycle tube air valve stem for the other end. I submerged it in a rubbermaid-type container. Using a bicycle pump, there were numerous tiny cracks, fissures difficult to notice by eye that bubbles easily came out of.

Bus ones also have asbestos fiber lining all inside the sheet metal but that's another issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Nov 19 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #35

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Racer Chris's custom headers with heat exchanger are looking better and better.

Chris, group buy of an even 10 units for $499.95 each?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)
+Quote Post
partwerks
post Nov 19 2011, 08:49 PM
Post #36

Member No.: 6,787

One less thing for me to worry about having the WRX engine in there........

User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
jimkelly
post Mar 15 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #37

Delaware USA

Member No.: 2,460
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

my first encounter with a sshe that had a crack in the pipe within the tin area. during my test, one pipe out of four clearly had some air bypass. i cut the tin off and basically the air was escaping thru basically a pin hole along a fissure. as you can see this crack is minor compared to brad's examples. thanks to brad for pointing out the potential for this occurance and his testing proceedure.

here is a link to some info on COHb levels as read by the kiddie night hawk detector shown in a post below.

as you can see, I plug on end and tape around the head end as to have a clean surface to put my mouth on, so I can blow orally to check for leaks, works fine.

http://www.safetyproductsunlimited.com/co_alarm.html

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Mar 15 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #38

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

What About the common steel HE's? Do they crack like this too???

Other Solution: Keep the roof Off.
+Quote Post
bigkensteele
post Mar 15 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #39

Major Member

Thanks to Brad and this thread, I don't drive with the roof on without this. It has registered as high as 33 PPM while I have been out on drives. Not much, but not zero either.

$28 at Home Depot = cheap insurance.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
Black914_4
post Mar 15 2012, 07:44 PM
Post #40

Member No.: 13,994

Great thread!

This is my first air-cooled car. I do have exhaust leak (haven't looked for it yet) and the thought of a leak coming through the heater did cross my mind but wasn't sure how to check/know for sure. The CO tester in the cab is a great ideal everyones needs to know/do. Needs to be told to all new poeple somehow. Maybe in a check list for newbies. First things to check out when getting a 914.
My 6 year old rides in the car with me. Alot at stake by not knowing.
I'll be getting one before I take my car out for a drive again!
+Quote Post

6 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2024 - 06:36 AM