Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> UK 914 needed for TV appearance
Wheeler Dealer
post Nov 2 2011, 12:40 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,735
Region Association: None

Hi all,

I'm part of the production team for Wheeler Dealers. As part of the new series we're featuring a 1974 Porsche 914. For those of you not aware Wheeler Dealers is a programme where we buy iconic cars, fix their faults and then sell them on for a profit. It is produced in the UK and broadcast all over the world.

At the beginning of the episode we always film a 'pristine version' of the featured vehicle. This is to show the viewer how good the vehicle can look and what we're trying to achieve by the end of the programme.

As such we're looking for a 914 to film that is in good condition (possibly having undergone a resto). If you have such a car and want to have it featured on TV, please email me with your availability over the next two weeks. My email is matt@attaboytv.com. Preferably if you could send some pics of your car it would be appreciated. We would require you and your car for one day and would cover travel expenses and provide a DVD of the finished programme after it has aired. Filming will be in Surrey, England.

We look forward to hearing from you.

The Wheeler Dealers Team
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 39)
defianty
post Nov 3 2011, 06:23 AM
Post #21

Member No.: 6,621

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 02:39 AM) *

Wow, just found this thread while watching Wheeler Dealers on Velocity network. Too cool, I've wondered what it would be like for the show to do a 914.

Kev, your car looks spectacular. Is that Saturn/Chrome Yellow (like mine)?

Yeah, it's a lovely car, Ravenna Green Multiple concourse winner. Just one of Kev's fleet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
914KEV
post Nov 3 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #22

Member No.: 11,253
Region Association: England

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 02:39 AM) *
Kev, your car looks spectacular. Is that Saturn/Chrome Yellow (like mine)?

QUOTE(defianty @ Nov 3 2011, 12:23 PM) *
Yeah, it's a lovely car, Ravenna Green Multiple concourse winner. Just one of Kev's fleet (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Thank you for your kind words.
The color of my 1974 2.0, is ‘Ravanna Green’. The car has won, one or two concours over the last few years. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif) as well as 2nd and 3rd.
A great color, like ‘Saturn Yellow’, when in different lighting conditions, will change color.

Waiting to hear if the producer/director likes my 914 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif) , filming is scheduled for next week.

I only own seven cars, ............................................ all of them 914s (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

My daily ride is a Diamond Silver '75 2.0 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Nov 3 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #23

Club Porsche 914 France President

Member No.: 5,409
Region Association: France

Now, lets see how Mike can find a cheap 914 that is not a pile of rust ...

Here is a good candidate ...

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C257265#

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ...
+Quote Post
flipb
post Nov 3 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #24

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 3 2011, 03:55 PM) *

You didn't read his whole description!

1970 VW/Porsche 914 for sale.

This has been my fun car for nearly 20 years!
We have been through thick and thin together so im reluctant to sell but with new twin girls and a spectacularly expensive camper on the way it will just not get used and space is at a premium here so its time for someone else to take the reins.

For those not familiar with the 914, it’s a sporty two seater from a collaboration between VW and Porsche in the late 60’s to replace the Karmann Ghia and 912 respectively.
It boasts a mid engine configuration, fuel injection, four wheel discs, a five speed box and a targa roof, all stuff way ahead of its time!
For those that ARE familiar with them, this is a very solid car, it has had all the usual trouble areas welded and more. The “hell hole” is solid along with the sills, all the suspension mounts, floor pan and both boots.
The engine is a real gem, it still has its factory fuel injection that has performed faultlessly all the time I have owned it so response is good and it pulls very strong and smooth and will happily surpass the speed limit all day long with no stress. It gets there comparatively quickly too. Very rare for a 914 is the fact this car does not leak any oil either!
The gearbox is what normally puts people off these, mine has had a full gearbox rebuild! Yes! Everything it needed including upgrading lots of the internals to later 911 bits. Totally transforms the car, it is great to drive now! It also cost more than I am asking for the car! (Lots of exclamation marks there, but it really is a big deal) (!)
The brakes work great, I have had all four callipers rebuilt or replaced throughout my custodianship and it pulls up nice and straight like it is supposed to.
It was inspected by the TV show “Wheeler Dealers” who turned it down as there was not enough mechanicals to do!
+Quote Post
bandjoey
post Nov 3 2011, 07:34 PM
Post #25

bandjoey

Member No.: 8,156
Region Association: Southwest Region

I can't imagine a 914 without mechanical problems... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

I'm watching to see how much rust work they want to do. Hope they looked at some of the projects here before buying...

LET US KNOW WHEN THE AIR DATE IS!!! THANKS WHEELER DEALERS! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cheer.gif)
+Quote Post
johannes
post Nov 4 2011, 10:39 AM
Post #26

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *

It was inspected by the TV show “Wheeler Dealers” who turned it down as there was not enough mechanicals to do!

WOW a 914 for 4250 with not enough to do ???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)
+Quote Post
SLITS
post Nov 4 2011, 10:55 AM
Post #27

"This Utah shit is HARSH!"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,696

$6810.18 USD
+Quote Post
flipb
post Nov 4 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #28

Member No.: 10,752
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(johannes @ Nov 4 2011, 12:39 PM) *

QUOTE(flipb @ Nov 3 2011, 12:11 PM) *

WOW a 914 for 4250 with not enough to do ???

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 4 2011, 12:55 PM) *

$6810.18 USD

Could be the first time in history that a US buyer finds a bargain 914 in Europe and has it shipped over... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)

(at least, in recent currency valuation history)
+Quote Post
scotty b
post Nov 4 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #29

rust free you say ?

Member No.: 3,419

QUOTE(Wheeler Dealer @ Nov 2 2011, 10:40 AM) *

Hi all,

we buy iconic cars, fix their faults and then sell them on for a profit

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/huh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) OOOhhhhh that's rich (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

+Quote Post
dlkawashima
post Nov 4 2011, 09:33 PM
Post #30

914 Guru

Member No.: 12,234
Region Association: Northern California

One of my favorites shows. Edd and Mike make me laugh, what with their strange (to us Americans) slang and corny back and forth banter. Really looking forward to seeing the 914 episode ...

Attached Image
+Quote Post
johannes
post Nov 7 2011, 09:10 AM
Post #31

Any news ?

+Quote Post
914KEV
post Nov 13 2011, 07:00 AM
Post #32

Member No.: 11,253
Region Association: England

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189211.1.jpg)
The filming of the ‘pristine 914’ took place at ‘Long cross Test Track’ in Surrey, west of London, England.
This ex-military location is often used by TV companies as well as the motor-press to photograph and test cars in a controlled environment here in the U.K.
Back when it was run by the military it was commonly referred too by the press as “our secret test facility in Surrey”.
Up to about ten years ago anybody using the test circuit were not allowed to publicize the location!
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189212.2.jpg)
The circuit is mostly surround by trees, the southern side runs next to a military golf course; with white lines painted on the surface in places, the circuit can look just like a public road.
On the day of filming the ground was wet from overnight rain, but the day did stay dry, for most of the day it was overcast, which the film crew were happy with as there were no long shadows.
The film crew preferred filming brightly colored cars on overcast days, as the sun can water down the color!
The sun did made an appearance by the end of the day on the last few drive past shots, shining through the trees.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189212.3.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189212.4.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189212.5.jpg)
The moving shots were filmed from a specially converted Ford Mondeo, which is called a tracking vehicle on the long cross ‘snake test circuit’.
Incidentally the snake circuit along with most of the other test features were originally built for testing tanks which were built there during the second world war.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189213.6.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189213.7.jpg)
The driving shots do not feature me behind the wheel of the 914, they always use their own driver for the moving shots.
The ‘914’ which Wheeler Dealers bought (I haven’t seen this 914), which for the last ten years had been stored in a barn, it is a ’74 1.8 in Phoenix Red.
The ‘914 barn find’ episode will be aired in the spring of 2012.
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i846.photobucket.com-11253-1321189213.8.jpg)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Nov 13 2011, 04:10 PM
Post #33

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
sixnotfour
post Nov 13 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #34

914 Wizard

Member No.: 2,744
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/first.gif)
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Mike Bellis
post Nov 13 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #35

Resident Electrician

Member No.: 10,496

Very Exciting!
+Quote Post
dlee6204
post Nov 13 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #36

Howdy

Member No.: 5,956

Super cool!

Great looking car btw! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/thumb3d.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif)
+Quote Post
EdwardBlume
post Nov 13 2011, 08:04 PM
Post #37

914 Wizard

Member No.: 81
Region Association: Central California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)
+Quote Post
rnellums
post Nov 13 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #38

Professional Enthusiast

Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Can't wait! Someone will need to post the link to an online vid as soon as it comes out!
+Quote Post
johannes
post Nov 14 2011, 02:57 AM
Post #39

That's just awesome ... I cant wait to see the episode ....
Thank you very much for the pictures and the report.

Series 10 will feature 15 cars and will, reportedly, include Porsche 914, Renault Alpine, 2000 BMW M5, Fiat Dino and a Morgan. (source Wikipedia)

+Quote Post
johannes
post Nov 14 2011, 03:01 AM
Post #40

QUOTE(rnellums @ Nov 13 2011, 07:36 PM) *

Can't wait! Someone will need to post the link to an online vid as soon as it comes out!

All episodes show up on youtube a few days after airing...
I know this show is also aired in Germany, but not in France ... So Youtube is the only way for me to watch the show.
+Quote Post

7 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
21 User(s) are reading this topic (21 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st July 2024 - 04:40 AM