Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

857 Pages V « < 844 845 846 847 848 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> what did you do to your 914 today
914 Ranch
post Jun 1 2024, 02:21 PM
Post #16901

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

I always like posting things here. So enjoy this picture. The frame works for a diffuser on my 914.

Attached Image

The skin goes on the inside of the frame. The aluminum angles get the strakes attached to them. The hole thing goes from the muffler bracket to the body line that is at the top of where the rubber bumper top was.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
TJB/914
post Jun 1 2024, 03:36 PM
Post #16902

Mid-Engn.

Member No.: 346
Region Association: Upper MidWest

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/w00t.gif)

Went to a local PCA Rennstatt Rally Sport gathering in Ann Arbor, MI a few weeks ago.
i finally got my 914 out of long time storage and it ran perfectly.
Another 914 attended and our air cooled 914's were more popular than new water cooled ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
Tom

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
anderssj
post Jun 1 2024, 03:39 PM
Post #16903

Dog is my copilot...

Member No.: 207
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

dawn patrol
+Quote Post
wonkipop
post Jun 2 2024, 12:12 AM
Post #16904

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,231
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(anderssj @ Jun 1 2024, 03:39 PM) *

same here. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
5th sunday in a row!!!!!!
dunno why but autumn/winter down here has been typically chilly but clear skies.
stop driving your teslas, i need the climate to remain in this condition for ever. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Shivers
post Jun 2 2024, 12:30 PM
Post #16905

Member No.: 24,781
Region Association: Southern California

Just some paint

Attached Image
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 4 2024, 01:33 PM
Post #16906

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920
Region Association: Northern California

Just some maintenance and a few upgrades over the past few days.

- Oil change
- Transmission gear oil change
- Put in the 914rubber speedo drive gear bushing kit (and stripped out the retaining bolt, but that's the subject of a whole different thread)
- Put on the 914rubber reproduction LE front air dam that fits with their tow hitch
- New front brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, PMB restored calipers and PMB soft lines
- Switched out the Rivieras that came with the car for some decent quality Fuchs that I bought locally from a shop that did a 5 lug conversion on a 914. The have nearly new tires on them and I bought 5 wheels for essentially the price of the tires. Didn't really have the money to spend, but I couldn't pass them up. They look so much better than the Rivieras, which I guess will now go on my Karmann Ghia.

Now to start cleaning up the garage.....

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image
+Quote Post
914 Ranch
post Jun 4 2024, 04:24 PM
Post #16907

Team Sharp where the 914 grow wings

Member No.: 19,611
Region Association: South East States

Next picture,

Attached Image

WOW, looks so much better than I thought it would.
+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jun 4 2024, 05:47 PM
Post #16908

Member No.: 21,628

that's a great list of accomplishments, @fiacra - Can you tell me about the brake/rotors/bearings operation? That's on my list for next winter. I have cores that I'm going to send PMB and will get their whole kit - which it sounds like you did as well...
+Quote Post
fiacra
post Jun 4 2024, 09:14 PM
Post #16909

Person.Woman.Man.Camera.TV

Member No.: 22,920

QUOTE(FlacaProductions @ Jun 4 2024, 04:47 PM) *

that's a great list of accomplishments, @fiacra - Can you tell me about the brake/rotors/bearings operation? That's on my list for next winter. I have cores that I'm going to send PMB and will get their whole kit - which it sounds like you did as well...

@FlacaProductions

You can't go wrong getting your parts from PMB. I didn't get the "brake bundle kit" but I might for my other car. I think that's a good way to go. Like many of us I have a few shelves full of parts that seem to accumulate over time and a lot of the parts I used came off those shelves. The PMB restored calipers came from another member. The brake lines I bought a while back from PMB as part of a group buy when they first introduced them. The LE air dam I literally bought two years ago and it has been sitting in the box since then. It is embarrassing to look at the shelves full of parts and wonder why I haven't put them on the cars yet. Now that I'm semi-retired it is a goal of mine to work through those piles of parts, and this project was another step in that journey. Other parts came from my friend's shop as he can order them at shop rates and get same day delivery for all the common parts.

As far as the actual mechanical work, I did watch Ian's video on replacing the bearings as well as read the manual. If you have done bearings before this will be a piece of cake. If you haven't done bearings before, it will probably still be a piece of cake. I have a selection of different sized drivers for installing the bearing races but I like Ian's recommendation for using the old races to install the new ones. I used Swepco Moly 101 for the bearings. I put the grease in a heavy duty ziploc freezer bag and use it to squeeze the grease into the bearings. It's less messy and works well. My least favorite part of the whole job is working with brake fluid. When you disconnect the brake lines start at the connection from the line coming directly from the master cylinder and use a bleeder cap to cap it off. When reassembling start from the caliper and work your way back, that way you don't have brake fluid coming through the lines as you are trying to reconnect them. Bleeding the brakes is a well acknowledged PITA, but a Motiv pressure bleeder works really well in my experience. I bought one a few years ago and the four times that I've used it have easily made it worth the investment. My wife is kind enough to come in for a few minutes at the end as my last step is always to have someone work the pedal for one quick trip around the wheels for a final manual bleeding. For all of the above it really helps to have a lift of some type, but I have done all of this working on the floor before. The scissor lift really makes things a lot easier though.

My apologies if all of this is blather is well below your actual mechanical skill level. There are all levels on this forum, and I'm very much middle of the pack. I have good tools, a place to work, no time pressure, and experts I can consult. You might be one of those experts and all of this is nothing new to you. Hard to tell from your question if this is what you wanted to hear, or you had some specific thing in mind. If you are a novice wrencher this is a project well within your skill set if you take your time and use the right tools. If you have done this before you will cruise through. There is always the inevitable "blip" along the way, such as my stripped speedo gear bushing retaining bolt hole, but there is always someone out there with wise words and a path forward if you get stuck.
+Quote Post
KSCarrera
post Jun 5 2024, 08:07 AM
Post #16910

Member No.: 22,846
Region Association: England

Explored the limits of grip on my 914 hillclimber...

https://youtu.be/aijQsPYE878?si=SU88VzGw-0BxT60K
+Quote Post
SKL1
post Jun 5 2024, 11:25 AM
Post #16911

Member No.: 12,732
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Finally ordering passenger side mirrors for both cars, only took 50+ years to get around to it. My OCD isn't fond of drilling holes in a perfectly good door!!!
+Quote Post
VegasRacer
post Jun 5 2024, 11:43 AM
Post #16912

ELVIRA

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 481
Region Association: None

QUOTE(914 Ranch @ Jun 4 2024, 03:24 PM) *

WOW, looks so much better than I thought it would.

I agree, Joe. It looks better without the clothes pins. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 5 2024, 01:05 PM
Post #16913

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

Drained the fuel and stole the pump to put on another car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Side note: motor swapped cars are so much easier to work on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1717614333.1.jpg)
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/live.staticflickr.com-431-1717614334.2.jpg)
+Quote Post
930cabman
post Jun 6 2024, 01:17 PM
Post #16914

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 5 2024, 01:05 PM) *

What pump is this? are you happy with it, FI or carbs
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Jun 6 2024, 01:34 PM
Post #16915

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

Look at Rock Auto Parts, Delphi fuel pump $81.79 75-76 914 FI
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 6 2024, 01:45 PM
Post #16916

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

Mark picked up the blue boy at PMB. Off to the race track

Best Bob B

Attached Image

+Quote Post
FlacaProductions
post Jun 6 2024, 03:16 PM
Post #16917

Member No.: 21,628

That's fantastic!
What was the turn-around time from delivery to finished product?
+Quote Post
Geezer914
post Jun 6 2024, 03:58 PM
Post #16918

Geezer914

Member No.: 10,179

Very nice! Visiting PMB must be like going to a 914 toy store!
+Quote Post
Chris914n6
post Jun 6 2024, 06:28 PM
Post #16919

Jackstands are my life.

Member No.: 431
Region Association: Southwest Region

QUOTE(930cabman @ Jun 6 2024, 12:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Chris914n6 @ Jun 5 2024, 01:05 PM) *

Drained the fuel and stole the pump to put on another car (IMG:style_emoticons/default/hissyfit.gif)

Side note: motor swapped cars are so much easier to work on (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif)

What pump is this? are you happy with it, FI

Currently listed as a Bosch 69414. When I bought it in 2019 it was a 0.580.464.070. It over specs for a stock motor. Bosch has been combining part applications and upgrading in the process. Good for 200hp and IIRC my 300hp future swap.

I'm having a problem with it sucking air bubbles in because it fountains out the return inlet. Not a problem if the fuel level is higher than the top of the sock.

Amazon $93

Much nicer pump than the Walbro I originally bought for the 3L, which quit pumping sufficiently.

The fact that it sat in e10 for a year and still works is a credit to quality.

@930cabman
+Quote Post
L-Jet914
post Jun 6 2024, 07:21 PM
Post #16920

Member No.: 15,080

I finally have had some time to tackle the transmission fluid leak that appeared after I replaced the original axle seals a few years back. I found out that the input shaft seal had finally failed. I have since tore the transmission down to its case and took it to work a few weeks ago and sent it through the heated aqueous parts washer. I have reassembled it with the help of a good friend of mine @Dominic including setting the shift fork clearances and 1st/Rev clearance. I am now tackling the clutch and flywheel replacement. I have installed the new pilot bearing into the new flywheel at the correct depth to allow the felt washer to seat properly. I've removed the extra pilot bearing I found in the crankshaft and installed the spacer that goes into the crank (which I am going to have to use some green Loctite designed for sleeves to hold it in place as it just slides into the crankshaft snout bore instead of having slight resistance on install per Jake Raby's input on the 914World Facebook group. I am figuring out how many shims to add etc. I am going to try and use a tool a coworker is letting me borrow that allows you to use feeler gauges instead of a dial indicator. The increasing heat in my area hasn't been nice to where I can get back out and continue tackling the project. I still have other projects to do on my 74 1.8 but one step at a time.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post

857 Pages V « < 844 845 846 847 848 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2024 - 02:41 AM