Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> The wait is over! Here's my, Pocono Race Report
ChrisFoley
post Aug 25 2004, 08:03 AM
Post #1

I am Tangerine Racing

Group: Members
Member No.: 209
Region Association: None

On the weekend of August 20-22 the Tri-Region Race Group held its yearly Double National Races at Pocono International Raceway. It was the last event on the Northeast Division schedule for 2004. For many teams including Tangerine Racing, this was the last chance to qualify for the SCCA National Runoffs held in September. In our case both races were critical to meet the requirements, having started late in the season after repairs from a heavy crash at the end of 2003 put us way behind schedule for 2004. Our minimum requirement was to finish one race in a points position and at least post a start for the other race.
Friday’s qualifying results were supposed to count as provisional grid for both races with a second session both Saturday and Sunday mornings to determine the final starting positions for each race. Having never raced on this particular track configuration, our provisional position of 6th in class was satisfactory. It was expected that we would improve that position in final qualifying later in the weekend and we left the track Friday evening feeling confident. A thorough inspection of the #14 Tangerine Racing F Production Porsche 914 had revealed no unexpected issues other than worn front brake pads.
Squeezing two complete race events into one weekend is always a big challenge for competitors and officials alike. Couple that with the unpredictable weather at Pocono and you have a recipe for true adversity. The advance weather forecast had been for hot and humid conditions all weekend, with a slight chance of thunderstorms. Little did we know what was to ensue. It rained overnight and we awoke early Saturday to gray skies. At the track the conditions were the same, but the television weather maps had shown a large mass of heavy rain approaching. A decision was made to replace the brake pads before qualifying and use the wet track qualifying session to bed them in. Sunday qualifying would therefore be a better opportunity to improve our lap times for the second race. Our qualifying went as planned and we were set for a 16th place overall starting position out of 36 cars.
It started to rain while the next race group was qualifying and the following race group never made it onto the track as the wind and rain became quite intense within a matter of minutes. Before long people were milling around watching the water rise in the paddock area outside the garages. As we watched, the low areas of the driveway paddock became saturated and changed from streams to ponds. In less than 2 hours the water rose to the center of the wheels of vehicles unfortunately parked in the lowest parts of the paddock around the garages. We even became concerned that the water might flow into the garage, as the level reached right up to within inches of the doorways. The water actually came in the garage when a 4WD truck drove by, pushing a wake ahead of it. It seemed like an eternity, but in fact it wasn’t even noon yet, and we had a flooded race track and paddock area. Finally the rain let up a bit and the water level around us began to recede. By 2 pm there was no more rain and it was again possible to walk outside without wearing hip waders. A driver’s meeting was held at 3 o’clock where we were informed that all further qualifying was cancelled and final grid positions were based on Friday’s sessions. The first 3 race groups (we were Group 1) would be run on Saturday, starting at 4 pm with a 30 minute timed race instead of going the full 45 mile National race distance. It was announced that the chicane before the final turn would not be used due to flooding conditions in that area. That meant we would be entering the 16 degree banking of the Bowl (Nascar turn 1) at top speed, with another ¾ mile of straight before braking for the first turn, where a small stream of water was still crossing the track surface.
We were given three pace laps to help clear the water, and to allow a few late grid arrivals time to catch the field. Some of the competitors who had outqualified the #14 car had not made it to the grid on time and I was in 8th overall position on the track as we took the green flag. I had an excellent start and moved past 3 cars on the outside under braking for turn 1. I made a smooth entry into the corner and slotted in behind the F Production leader, Les Handly, also driving a Porsche 914. A faster E production 914-6 passed the two of us when we reached the Long Pond Straight, but I maintained 2nd position in class for the first lap. FP polesitter Charles Guest, driving a Huffaker prepared MG Midget, re-passed me easily as we went back onto the high speed Nascar Oval section for the second time. The cars ahead stretched their lead and I began to concentrate on the Midget of Dave Kicak who was closing steadily from behind. After several laps I conceded that he was in the faster car and he passed me with no further contest. That gave me the opportunity to study his line and see what I could do to improve my own lap times. It seemed that I could reel him in on the long straights, but he had the better handling car in the infield section and was able to continue pulling away. I didn’t feel comfortable going through the Bowl at full speed and slowed to about 110 mph as I entered, then accelerated again up to a top speed of around 120 as we passed the start/ finish line. I was able to lap many of the slower cars and finished 4th in class, 8th overall, just as I started.
Sunday’s schedule started by completing the remaining races originally scheduled for Saturday. That gave the Tangerine Racing team time for a thorough inspection of the car and to make a few carburetor and handling adjustments. Our second race was run just before lunch and the weather conditions were sunny, cool and dry. The grid positions were again shuffled a bit, since some competitors had not returned and others who had trouble on Saturday were in their assigned position. This time I took the green flag from 10th overall position and passed the FP MGB of Bill Ball before the first turn to take over 3rd place in class. An EP Mazda was all that separated me from the 2nd place FP car of Dave Kicak. I traded positions with the Mazda for a couple of laps before passing him decisively and started to close on the Midget ahead.
On lap four I put in my best lap time of the weekend at a 1:53.6, completing the lap with a top speed of 125mph. My time was 3 seconds faster than my Friday qualifying time. The handling adjustments were paying off, as the car felt very predictable in the tight turns. Unfortunately I braked a little late for the chicane on lap 5 and made a brief agricultural excursion through the grass before re-entering the track, losing at least 5 seconds in the process. That put me well behind the EP Mazda I had worked so hard to pass earlier, but in a secure 3rd position in class. I decided there was no point in trying too hard for the remainder of the race and backed off to a comfortable pace to finish 9th overall.
SCCA National Championship competition rules allow one’s best 6 finishes during the season to count towards a class championship. We had only attended 4 races this season and finished a respectable 7th in F Production in the Northeast Division. Despite all the challenges of the weekend at Pocono International Raceway, Tangerine Racing had met its objectives, finishing 4th and 3rd in class to qualify for the National Championship races at Mid-Ohio in September.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(1 - 6)
seanery
post Aug 25 2004, 08:40 AM
Post #2

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Congrats Chris!
+Quote Post
Aaron Cox
post Aug 25 2004, 09:28 AM
Post #3

Professional Lawn Dart

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 219
Region Association: Southern California

that was a good read (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

way to go chris!
+Quote Post
i love porsche
post Aug 25 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #4

Member No.: 2,030
Region Association: North East States

congratulations!

i hope i can one day race my teener at pocono
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Aug 25 2004, 02:19 PM
Post #5

I am Tangerine Racing

Thanks guys,
This forum helps keep me motivated for sure.

Aaron,
Your avatar reminds me that I saw the absolute funniest skit on Mad TV last night. I'm still ROTFL 20 hrs later.
It was an animated movie that combined Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer with Apocalypse Now. Rudolf was sent to the North Pole by a toy company to eliminate Santa with extreme prejudice, because he was giving away toys.
"The Ho Ho Horror" was Santa's last words.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
It is a definite must see!
+Quote Post
ChrisFoley
post Sep 14 2004, 06:50 PM
Post #6

I am Tangerine Racing

I got some pics in the mail today. Here's the best one, which was taken on the first lap of Saturday's race. I can tell because that's the only time I was in front of the red Midget and the black Midget and the yellow 914-6, which all outqualified me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
trojanhorsepower
post Sep 14 2004, 07:24 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 1,179

Congrats Chris! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

I will get out to see one of those races some day.

Maybe now that the Rock is closed it will be open for some SCCA action.

-Pete
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 06:33 AM