Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Front hood scoop
Stonepilot
post Jan 4 2012, 02:07 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,863
Region Association: South East States

Anybody done one of these? Got a picture would love to see what it looks like? Thank you
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(40 - 46)
brant
post Jan 6 2012, 03:13 PM
Post #41

914 Wizard

Member No.: 47
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(bulitt @ Jan 6 2012, 02:09 PM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 6 2012, 10:25 AM) *

cross post from my street car thread:

I'm thinking you could close off the front half of your opening and not lose much airflow?

My front opening is smaller than the liscense plate
I leave the plate on most of the time and only pull the plate when I need the cooling... (ie: heat of the summer, or track time)

I've use the exact (and acutal) same cooler in three different exit configurations
each one opened up and increased the exit size, and correspondingly dropped the oil temperature

this one has a HUGE exit for a very small cooler and is 20degrees F cooler oil temps on the track than my most restrictive experiment (same cooler, same car, same motor, different day)

I agree with the old rule of thumb about using 2x the exit size of your cooler entrance size.... (that hot air expands and a good exit draws more air through the cooler)
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 6 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #42

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(brant @ Jan 6 2012, 01:13 PM) *
this one has a HUGE exit for a very small cooler and is 20degrees F cooler oil temps on the track than my most restrictive experiment (same cooler, same car, same motor, different day)

One would think that with a louvered cover (even if only partially covering that huge hole) you could get pretty close to the same actual open surface but with a much better visual result.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
MDG
post Jan 6 2012, 04:21 PM
Post #43

Wolf in wolf's clothing.

Member No.: 10,018
Region Association: None

Looks like he made some mods (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

Attached Image
+Quote Post
wingnut86
post Jan 6 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #44

...boola la boo boola boo...

Member No.: 11,645
Region Association: South East States

Hey,

I thought Danny Bonaducci from "The Partridge Family" had lost his license on crack.

But there he is behind the wheel.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/happy11.gif)
+Quote Post
pt_700
post Jan 6 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #45

Member No.: 11,430

i wonder if those extraction vents on the hood might feed hot air into the cockpit with the top off on warm days?

do any of the posters with wheel well vents drive in the rain or dusty conditions? might this make the front trunk dirtier?
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post Jan 6 2012, 05:33 PM
Post #46

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Jan 6 2012, 02:36 PM) *

i wonder if those extraction vents on the hood might feed hot air into the cockpit with the top off on warm days?

do any of the posters with wheel well vents drive in the rain or dusty conditions? might this make the front trunk dirtier?

There is no *might* about it. Yes, even with the screens used on some, there's a lot of dirt in the front trunk.

As for the hot air over the windshield, yes, you can feel it but it disperses pretty quickly.
One would have to run a couple of tests with a few sensors around the car to get exact numbers.

However, my point still stands. I'd rather have the air up and away than under the car where it will create additional lift.
Not much of a problem for street driving, but at the track, you'll want all the help you can get.

A 914 can get pretty "light" above ~120mph ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
PeeGreen 914
post Jan 6 2012, 05:51 PM
Post #47

Just when you think you're done...wait, there is more..lol

Member No.: 6,884
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 6 2012, 03:33 PM) *

QUOTE(pt_700 @ Jan 6 2012, 02:36 PM) *

There is no *might* about it. Yes, even with the screens used on some, there's a lot of dirt in the front trunk.

As for the hot air over the windshield, yes, you can feel it but it disperses pretty quickly.
One would have to run a couple of tests with a few sensors around the car to get exact numbers.

However, my point still stands. I'd rather have the air up and away than under the car where it will create additional lift.
Not much of a problem for street driving, but at the track, you'll want all the help you can get.

A 914 can get pretty "light" above ~120mph ...
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) The last thing I would think you would want to do is make it any lighter in the front by adding lift. Going around a sweeping bend at 100+ it feels light enough without the added lift. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th June 2024 - 03:35 AM