Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Painted it yesterday
2-OH!
post Sep 10 2004, 07:08 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,253

What air pressure did you use...what is the right amount...

2-OH!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
maf914
post Sep 10 2004, 07:11 AM
Post #22

Not a Guru!

Member No.: 632
Region Association: None

QUOTE(redshift @ Sep 9 2004, 08:21 PM)
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Sep 9 2004, 10:18 AM)
Painting (my) car (myself) is some of the most gratifying work I have ever done.

You have obviously never killed someone else's screaming child with your bare hands on an international flight.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

M

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Miles, That is twisted! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)

If you like to read, I highly recommend the five novels by Tim Dorsey. Start with Florida Roadkill. They all star Serge Storm, a psycopathic serial killer from Tampa. Your post reminded me of him! Hilarious!

All of you Florida boys should read them too, because they are all based on the Florida life! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
jasons
post Sep 10 2004, 07:37 AM
Post #23

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Member No.: 2,573

Air pressure depends on the gun you use. My gun required 23 psi at the inlet. Thats was measured with the trigger pulled. I had 2 regulators, a main one at the end of my cooling loop, and a "cheater" on my gun. I set the first one to around 60 psi, then dialed the pressure in with the one on the gun.

You can tell in my previous pic, I painted mine in my carport. I cleaned the carport the day before, then wet everything down at about 5:30 am, then fired the compressor up at 6:00 am. Shot it in the morning for calm air. It had some dust nibs, but I planned on color-sanding it anyway. After coloring-sanding, no more dust nibs or orange peel.

(IMG:http://www.members.cox.net/jasons7/paint/done0.JPG)
+Quote Post
Stutgart46
post Sep 10 2004, 07:38 AM
Post #24

Stutgart46

Member No.: 1,365

Looks great.
How did you prep? How did you remove the old paint? Did you sand it or use a paint remover?
+Quote Post
1bad914
post Sep 10 2004, 07:49 AM
Post #25

Member No.: 2,028

Do you mean at the gun or in the booth. Air pressure at the gun depends on the gun and the media. I use a traditional gravity feed gun and run the pressure at the gun from 40-60 psi depending on the media, the information sheet on the media gives you a range, the PPG Omni MBC recommends 40-50 psi at the gun. The clear recommends 50-60. Spend the money and buy a good gun air gage, I use a Devilbliss in line gage, I open it up all the way and then pull the trigger and adjust the rate with the adjuster on the wall. This guarantees that gun pressure to be accurate while spraying.

I traveled for a living for ten years, I was on the road an average of 2.5 weeks a month during that time. I finally got to the point of telling the parent to shut the kid up. Understand that if it is an infant, it can't be helped, but if it's some 5 year old brat kicking the seat I would kindly inform the parent if they did not control thier child I would. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) I have wanted to strangle many little brats during that time, but I almost find the idiot drunk adult to be worse, that is one positive of 9/11, they are less tolerant of idiots in flight. It's kind of fun to piss off a drunk passenger and then watch them get in trouble. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) Not like I would ever do that!!!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)
+Quote Post
1bad914
post Sep 10 2004, 10:35 AM
Post #26

All cars are different depending on condition at the start.

I dismantle the car to ther required level then powerwash the crap out of it. Then clean all the surfaces to be worked with a good grease and wax remover. If there are obvious dents and defects, fix those. The current paint is still firmly attached I sand with 150 grit using an air board sander. Then clean again and shoot two coats at a minimum of high build primer, sand that with 240 grit board and block, this is where you find the small defects, they show up well in the primer, repair those defects, if filler is required I paint another one maybe two coats of high build primer thinned 10%. 240 again, if happy I jump to 400 wet or 500 wet depending on the color painted. I rinse it all off with a hose, watch the water cascade off the car with back light and it will show you any problems. Dry it, then clean it all with cleaner again, let dry and paint. A lot more occurs, but you get the point.

If the car you are painting is in really good shape, you can sand the car with 400-500 wet and spray right on the current paint. With opur cars this does not happen. Everybody has thier own way of doing it. Again, if it is really bad or the paint is peeling, media blast it or chemical strip it. I have never had to do this on an entire car, just a door or hood.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Sep 10 2004, 12:13 PM
Post #27

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Thats almost exactly what I did. Except, I didn't power-wash. When I did wash, I used laundry detergent.
Before any paint or primer coat, I wiped the car down with the PPG DX-330 oil and grease remover.

When I wet-sanded the 2K primer, I sprayed guide coats to find low and high spots. Just to be specific, a guide coat is a light coat of contrasting paint. I used SEM Guide Coat sprayed out of a can. You can use just a cheap primer also. Sand that off lightly and see where the guide coat color stays behind, thats a low spot.

The links below show the different stages.

Before Primer
After Primer
After Wet-Sand
+Quote Post
1bad914
post Sep 10 2004, 12:33 PM
Post #28

I've used guide coats before, but found them to be an added step. I am so anal with my block sanding that I catch most of the bad spots. I use the sheeting water from the hose like a guide coat, it acts like clear coat and really brings out the defects. There are errors on my car, I know where they are at, but 99% of the people will never see them! Jasons,Is your color Saturn Yellow also?
+Quote Post
bondo
post Sep 10 2004, 12:54 PM
Post #29

Practicing my perpendicular parking

Member No.: 587
Region Association: Central California

Can any type of paint be color sanded? I think I remember hearing of some kind of paint that would never buff out to a good shine if it were color sanded. I plan to paint mine a solid (non-metallic) color with a single stage (no clear coat) paint. I prefer to be able to buff the faded/oxidized paint off, rather than have it be trapped under a layer of clear.
+Quote Post
jasons
post Sep 10 2004, 01:59 PM
Post #30

Jackstand Extraordinaire

Mine is the Sunflower yellow if I recall correctly. I actually used a VW paint code out of the PPG book, but it was the same code as the 914 for the year.

You know, that water trick didn't work so well for me. The water seemed to roll off more in some places than others. Also, here in AZ it evaporates as soon as it has a nice even shine

Mine is single stage and I color-sanded it. I removed a couple of runs in the process. I know you can't color sand single stage metallics. If its 2 stage metallic(with a clear) of course you can color sand. You should consult your paint supplier regarding whatever paint you use to be sure.
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 10 2004, 02:20 PM
Post #31

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222

I painted my car about a year ago.

It's a great feeling to stand back and tell people you did it.
(of course, if it sucks tell them your brother did it)

I'll be repainting mine in a month or so or when I finish installing the flares

"...a month..." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bs.gif)

Paul
+Quote Post
redshift
post Sep 10 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #32

Bless the Hell out of you!

Member No.: 869

I decided to do mine in 3 sections... front to the hoop, rear to the bar, then the middle.. I have to pull it out for wheels, and I need 112x5 somehow before all that.

Help.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

M
-Hey Mike, I am a Kurt Vonnegut kinda guy-
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 12:58 PM