Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> First test drive after installing sway bars, added front/rear..but engine is rough
jim912928
post Sep 13 2004, 06:58 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

WOW, today was my test drive after lubing up my front end (didn't thoroughly lub my poly bushings...so took it all apart and redid it) and installing front/rear factory sway bars. I must admit it sure handles differently...even more like it is on rails! ride is alittle harsher according to my wife!

Then all of a sudden it began running like crap. Acting like it was fuel starved (75 1.8l with ljet...see previous post about this happening on my return trip from MWC). It would run smooth...then all of a sudden run like it was fuel starved (running rough). I finally pulled over and began pulling spark plug wires. Pull 1..engine begins to miss, pull 2..engine misses, pull 3...nothing happens (hmmm), pull 4 engine begins to miss.

Ok, so now I know #3 is not firing. Has to be either no spark at plug or no fuel. So, spark is coming out of the distributer, spark is coming out the other end of the plug wire...i reach down and jiggle the fuel injector plug and bingo it starts running smooth. By this time it's about 7pm and starting to get alittle dark here in northern indiana. So I didn't pull things off to see if I just have a loose connector or missing insulation and i'm grounding out.

But, at least now I know where it is!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
URY914
post Sep 13 2004, 07:09 PM
Post #2

I built the lightest 914 in the history of mankind.
****************************************************************************************************

Member No.: 222
Region Association: None

When I had the stock FI, mine use to do the same thing. Wiggle the wire-runs fine.

I would say the biggest single improvement to the handling was adding a front roll bar.

Next was the wider wheels and tires.

Have fun, your journey has only begun.

Paul (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
seanery
post Sep 13 2004, 07:10 PM
Post #3

waiting to rebuild whitey!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 100

Jim,
I had a similar problem on my 74. It musta just worked it's way loose. Plugged it back in and it worked til the day I sold the motor.
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Sep 13 2004, 07:14 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Sean,

All I have to do now to the car is fix a leaking brake caliper, hook the heating ducts back up (anticipating some chilly weather in october) and I'll be ready for the Fall Foilage! Haven't registered yet but I will be shortly!
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Sep 13 2004, 07:15 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 366

Suggest you try a good run with both sway bars, then repeat the run with the rear bar disconnected (do not need to remove it, just wire it up out of the way.

I and others have found that the rear sway bar hurts handling. we did this test on a car, and to this day the rear bar was never reconnected.

Front bar works wonders, add the rear bar and it is not as good, remove the rear bar, and your back to wonders.

dave
+Quote Post
Joe Ricard
post Sep 14 2004, 09:10 AM
Post #6

CUMONIWANNARACEU

Member No.: 92

Interesting comment on Sway bars. 70 teener with BIG ASS Weltmiester bar up front and stock bar in back. Front is about in the middle of the lever arm. Stays planted in big sweeping turns at 70 MPH. AX I have disconnected the rear bar on this boards advice. Seems to push and then as I keep trying to turn in the tail will snap around. Going to leave the rear bar hooked up this next AX.
+Quote Post
GaroldShaffer
post Sep 14 2004, 10:10 AM
Post #7

You bought another 914?

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 865

I have a AX on Saturday and I plan to try it this time with the rear disconnected. I find the rear feels loose to me. I run #140 springs with Koni's set complete soft on the rear and 1/2 firm front.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
dmenche914
post Sep 14 2004, 02:29 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 366

Yeah, strange but true in my experince. friends car set up near identical to mine with exception he had the rear sway bar. 140 lbs spring, lowered very low, front sway bar, 50 series tires.

My car would always out hang the turns (he was faster in the straights as he had a 2.0 and I a 1.7 engine)

I would drive his car, and told him it only handled half as well as mine, the rear end just didn't seem to turn correctly. After months of pestering him, we un did his rear sway bar, took it for a sping, and his car handled much better, just like mine, we both agreed it was a great improvement

Oh well, we are now matched in turn speed, so I am now getting a 2.0 in my car so i can keep up.

dave
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 06:16 AM