Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

> Tan Interior
markb
post Oct 13 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #1

914less :(

Group: Members
Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

I did some parts swapping with bondo this last weekend and finally got a tan interior for my blue car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I've spent the last couple of days cleaning and installing the tan stuff, and it looks really nice!! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) Now the only problem is I want to do the dash face and face of the center console in the tan basketweave to match the rest of the interior. Sooooo, my question is, does anybody have some tan door panels that has shitty backing, but decent basketweave? Being an honorary member of the CSOBOSC, I'd optimally like it inexpensive (read: dirt cheap). I also have parts to swap if you need something. Thanks mucho.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Replies(20 - 25)
Toast
post Nov 12 2004, 01:11 PM
Post #21

Not bad for carrying sway bars.

Member No.: 1,580
Region Association: Southwest Region

Who in the heck ever thought that green and brown would go good together? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif)
Oh, wait, that was in the 70's.

Oh wait, I have a green car with brown interior! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 12 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #22

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Nov 12 2004, 09:36 AM)
How difficult is it to upolster the doors and dash? Is this a task for a first timer or is it really better left to the pros?

I don't know about the dash but the door panels were fairly straightforward. The upholstery staples onto the door panels while the door pockets get their vunyl glued on. Takes a bit of working the vinyl to get a nice smooth round corners on the door pockets but not bad at all.

You will need the shortest size staples available for the door panel edges. Be sure to purchase gel adhesive that is vinyl safe for the door pockets.

Figure 2-3 hours to remove and re-upholster the two doors.

It isn't difficult, the only hard part is to pay attention when taking everything appart and take your time when re-assembling to make sure everything will fit and finsh nice before you start doing and stapling, gluing, or trimming.
+Quote Post
markb
post Nov 12 2004, 05:42 PM
Post #23

914less :(

Member No.: 180
Region Association: Central California

Nice job putting all that in. It looks great.
+Quote Post
Bruce Allert
post Nov 12 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #24

Hellions asleep

Member No.: 441
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

Looks like a first class job there Hi-Fi (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

.....b
+Quote Post
IronHillRestorations
post Nov 12 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #25

I. I. R. C.

Member No.: 439
Region Association: None

I'm still in search of a early basketweave/smooth interior for my 914-6, which is metallic green with tan interior, which is the same combination for my 2000 914-6!

There were four different tans. Early smooth with what I call "elephant grain", early smooth/basketweave, middle year basketweave, and late basketweave.

As I've gotten older and a little more "thin skinned", I've leaned toward the light colored interiors vrs the burn your butt/melt your 8 tracks black.
+Quote Post
Hi_Fi_Guy
post Nov 12 2004, 10:29 PM
Post #26

Tuetonic terror

Member No.: 1,019

QUOTE(9146986 @ Nov 12 2004, 03:58 PM)
I'm still in search of a early basketweave/smooth interior for my 914-6, which is metallic green with tan interior, which is the same combination for my 2000 914-6!

There were four different tans.  Early smooth with what I call "elephant grain", early smooth/basketweave, middle year basketweave, and late basketweave.  

As I've gotten older and a little more "thin skinned", I've leaned toward the light colored interiors vrs the burn your butt/melt your 8 tracks black.

As far as my research went the only Tan basketweave I could find was the style used on the 1975-76 cars. Ireally wanted to find the 1973-74 style since my car is a '74 but I simply could find no one that had a line on any.

One option would be to purchase the earlier style in black and have it dyed or painted with vinyl paint by an upholstery shop.

Here is something that will make you sick. The largest supply of vintage interior materials was purchased by a fashion designer and is being used for shoes, bags, etc. An entire warehouse in detroit. A few years back I had a 1959 Rambler that I was customizing but I wanted to redo the interior stock if possible. I could have purchased the original fabric one year before but unfortunately all the cool old fabrics are probably lining somebody's handbags.

If you do get a line on any 1973-74 tan basketweave let me know. I am happy with my 1975-76 style but I don't know if I could resist the temptation to make it perfectly original. I know it is a sickness. I just have a very particular way I like to keep each of my cars and bikes as I own them. I sort of subscribe to the two Jay Leno philosiphies.
1. Restore it to a ten and then drive it back down to an eight... rinse & repeat.
2. I'm just taking care of the car for it's next owner.

Before Jake chimes in about me pampering the car, yes I do drive the car and drive it like I stole it. Several ricer kids wanted to race me when I went to the local Inn & Out Burger last night but once they hear the RAT Motor fire up they shut the hell up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 05:01 PM