Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Who has a good type IV machinist-engine builder recommendation?, Time to post your secret sources or remind everyone who's good
poorsche914
post Jul 18 2012, 06:05 AM
Post #41

T4 Supercharged

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(silver74insocal @ Jul 18 2012, 01:09 AM) *
type 4 unleashed. i remember that build on the NARP forums... its weird, all of his posts on this website have been edited/removed

Use This Link to search the World site via Google and you will come up with all kinds of threads where Type 4 Unleashed posted. Many are from before the split.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/type.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ape914
post Jul 18 2012, 09:38 AM
Post #42

red locktite

Group: Retired Members
Member No.: 12,676
Region Association: None

Ken Jansen (Jansen Enterprises) in Belmont Calif. Expert aircooled engine builder/racer. stock or hi-perf motors. I got three of his engines in my cars. nice guy, he builds rods and other parts for other builders, has a nice machine shop. easy to deal with, great guy, and his engines WIN RACES. Very resonable prices.
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jul 18 2012, 01:48 PM
Post #43

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

Type4 unleashed was loosely affiliated with European motorworks.
I have used EMS many times, prices are very good and they sell the pistons I like,,the JE pistons.
they are full of practical knowledge.
they will sell one piston, match the old pistons etc...

For the rebiit rod setup...BTDT.
The rods can allow for a 78mm stroke.
this was a setup that worked before rods where available.
the issue with the longer stroke is still the number three rod seat and the oil passage in that area...

Be careful going to that stroke...its a stressed out crankshaft, even the new ones have that same issue.

the rabbit rod setup just made the problem more apparent due to the smaler diameter rold journal...so you had to take even more meat off the crankshaft.

Type4unleashed did one thing that was super cool...
he used lightweight and smaller diameter lifters...which EMS sells.
You have to press in bushings into the case, but it looked fairly straight forward.
Not sure what happened with that setup because he stopped posting here around that time...have not heard much from him since.

One th East coast we have Shine Racing (www.srsvw.com)
We have a machine shop in Brockton that Foley has used, so ask him his results from that experience...not sure if it was good or bad.

We just had a custom set of heads done at a local shop up here...all went well except we had to bring them back for a CHT sensor to be milled into the head...we had two left side heads...

I have found that most places have worked on Type4 heads at one point in time, and ALL shops now deal with valve seats in aluminum heads....every motor seems to have aluminum heads now.

the nice part of that progress is that its no longer a secret how to put seats in that stay in place...
the metal being used for the seats is also very well tested now, so again, its not a secret at most shops.

I always take the time to visit any shop that I might drop my parts at for machine work.
I like to see the shop and look the person in the eye when we talk about what I need done.

I have yet to be less than satisfied with any machine work I have needed, so I guess it pays to shop around and meet the machinists to determine if you will get what you are looking for.

aircooled.net has always been cool.
EMS has been more than cool, lots of parts, knowledge and timely shipping.

Rich
+Quote Post
Gary
post Jul 18 2012, 05:40 PM
Post #44

Member No.: 134
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jul 18 2012, 04:29 AM) *

Anyone good between Vancouver BC and Seattle? Not in the budjet at the moment but hopeful future!

One of our own, Nate (aircooledtechguy) at Provolks in Anacortes put together a nice 2056 for my bug last year. Standup guy with good support.
+Quote Post
rick 918-S
post Jul 18 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #45

Hey nice rack! -Celette

Member No.: 43
Region Association: Northstar Region

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 18 2012, 02:48 PM) *

Type4 unleashed was loosely affiliated with European motorworks.
I have used EMS many times, prices are very good and they sell the pistons I like,,the JE pistons.
they are full of practical knowledge.
they will sell one piston, match the old pistons etc...

For the rebiit rod setup...BTDT.
The rods can allow for a 78mm stroke.
this was a setup that worked before rods where available.
the issue with the longer stroke is still the number three rod seat and the oil passage in that area...

Be careful going to that stroke...its a stressed out crankshaft, even the new ones have that same issue.

the rabbit rod setup just made the problem more apparent due to the smaler diameter rold journal...so you had to take even more meat off the crankshaft.

You have to press in bushings into the case, but it looked fairly straight forward.
Not sure what happened with that setup because he stopped posting here around that time...have not heard much from him since.

One th East coast we have Shine Racing (www.srsvw.com)
We have a machine shop in Brockton that Foley has used, so ask him his results from that experience...not sure if it was good or bad.

We just had a custom set of heads done at a local shop up here...all went well except we had to bring them back for a CHT sensor to be milled into the head...we had two left side heads...

I have found that most places have worked on Type4 heads at one point in time, and ALL shops now deal with valve seats in aluminum heads....every motor seems to have aluminum heads now.

the nice part of that progress is that its no longer a secret how to put seats in that stay in place...
the metal being used for the seats is also very well tested now, so again, its not a secret at most shops.

I always take the time to visit any shop that I might drop my parts at for machine work.
I like to see the shop and look the person in the eye when we talk about what I need done.

I have yet to be less than satisfied with any machine work I have needed, so I guess it pays to shop around and meet the machinists to determine if you will get what you are looking for.

Rich

Great post Rich! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/bye1.gif)
+Quote Post
DBCooper
post Jul 19 2012, 07:53 AM
Post #46

14's in the 13's with ATTITUDE

Member No.: 2,618
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 18 2012, 12:48 PM) *

Yeah, European lists them HERE. Kind of pricey and not for a daily driver, but if you want to spin it that's what you need. If it's something you're thinking about call Jorge, he'll give you the updates.

I consider John my "secret weapon". He's kind of Krusty (in the very best way, Cap'n) but he's an encyclopedia of aircooled knowledge. His tech pages should be required reading for beginners. I don't know if he builds engines any more, but he has the parts and the know-how.

Yeah, I second that, and no drama, which is what you really want. That's actually true for CB, aircooled.net and the others as well. CB is under the T4 radar, but they build engines, do the machining, make their own T1 head castings, and have an in-house dyno cell for testing. Their background is mostly T1, but the T4 engines were always there in the buggy scene, so CB's actually pretty good. What's best is they're both smart and self-assured enough to make referrals if they think you'd be better served by someone else. That's an extremely good quality for any vendor to have.
+Quote Post
930cabman
post May 9 2021, 04:55 PM
Post #47

Advanced Member

Member No.: 24,877
Region Association: North East States

Only 9 years since the last post, but probably quite valuable.

Please chime in with your "secret weapons"
+Quote Post

3 Pages V < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 01:21 AM