Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

45 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> My 3.3L Subie Conversion Thread, Got me some 914rubber stuff
rnellums
post Apr 7 2017, 08:51 AM
Post #801

Professional Enthusiast

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,072
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Feb 18 2017, 10:57 PM) *

Update...working on the "heater core in the fresh air box". First I had to take the wiper assembly out to lube it and change the rubber mounting bushings. Dang that thing is not fun to reinstall!

Here is the modified airbox.

FYI the STOCK mid-90's mustang heater core is a little too thick to fit inside the fresh air box. I had to modify mine a bit. I'd go for the thinner aftermarket one if you're going to do this.

I love what you did here Chris! I'm going to be working something similar in the next month or two, but I may try to make a custom core to size. Love seeing the ingenuity!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Apr 7 2017, 09:10 AM
Post #802

Member No.: 73
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Yes you definitely want one that fits in the box, preferably one that exits out the side. In a stock 914 everything in that area fits PERFECTLY without a mm to spare although it doesn't look that way. Mine was a PAIN IN THE ARSE to install because it's so close to the fuel tank filler. I think an aftermarket Mustang one that is thinner might work. You could trim off the circular piece above the fan right down to the box (which is necessary for any heater core) and then take it to an auto parts store and have them find one for you.

Ah....hindsight...at least it's useful for others... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 6 2017, 08:23 AM
Post #803

So "how's it going" with the MS3X install? I think it's best summed up by the first 43 seconds of this clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgOfuBB6Mf4

Bob's been helping me a lot but the MS forum has been poor. I think I might post some stuff here in case anyone has other ideas...

+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 6 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #804

Repeat Offender & Resident Subaru Antagonist

Member No.: 9,964
Region Association: Southern California

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Remember the post card with the Cow standing on her own utter which read "So you think you've got problems!"? Well don't feel alone my friend. I damned near took mine out back and shot it this last weekend. I won't pollute your thread with my problems though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) But, as with every problem there lies an answer within and I finally found mine. Looks like we may be posting in tandem again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Madswede
post Jun 6 2017, 09:51 AM
Post #805

Flat Out Driver

Member No.: 6,831
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 6 2017, 08:23 AM) *

So "how's it going" with the MS3X install? I think it's best summed up by the first 43 seconds of this clip.
Bob's been helping me a lot but the MS forum has been poor. I think I might post some stuff here in case anyone has other ideas...

Please do. I have an older MS installation on my 3.2 twin plug, cammed build with EDMIS and PMO throttle bodies. I've had some of the inevitable bugs to work out after the masterful build by Series9 (Joe O'Brien) that I could share. I've been thinking of improving the current setup with a Clewett TPS (basically a "wide band" TPS) for the PMOs to take advantage of the Megasquirt ability to do ITB tuning maps which is a blend of MAP at lower loads and RPMs and alpha-n under loads/acceleration. I want to get rid of my backfire issues and improve performance. It's complicated!
+Quote Post
Keyser Sose
post Jun 6 2017, 09:53 AM
Post #806

Member No.: 17,576
Region Association: None

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 6 2017, 08:08 AM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/av-943.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif) Remember the post card with the Cow standing on her own utter which read "So you think you've got problems!"? Well don't feel alone my friend. I damned near took mine out back and shot it this last weekend. I won't pollute your thread with my problems though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif) But, as with every problem there lies an answer within and I finally found mine. Looks like we may be posting in tandem again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)

Wait. So the solution is to shoot it? Or just threaten?

+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 6 2017, 10:23 AM
Post #807

Times a wastin', get wrenchin'!

Member No.: 2,388

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 6 2017, 10:23 AM) *

Your spoiled by this forum. I'm on lots of others and this place hands down has much less of the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) factor. I can name a few others I never go back to., unless I really must. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Post away I will try to help all that I can, you need the coil pack back? Or are you running the coil on plugs still?
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 6 2017, 10:43 AM
Post #808

QUOTE(914forme @ Jun 6 2017, 11:23 AM) *

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 6 2017, 10:23 AM) *

Your spoiled by this forum. I'm on lots of others and this place hands down has much less of the (IMG:style_emoticons/default/stromberg.gif) factor. I can name a few others I never go back to., unless I really must. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

Post away I will try to help all that I can, you need the coil pack back? Or are you running the coil on plugs still?

Yes I AM spoiled by this forum and the people. Totally agree. Bob has spent HOURS with me but he really didn't use MS on the EG33 for too long before switching engines plus he's 700 miles away. And MS3X is slightly different than MS2. I'm sticking with COP so we're all good on the coil pack (for now at least (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) ). So are you buying Bob's old car? PM me if so. I'll tell you all about it.

MadSwede, will do. Post whatever you want to share! The firing order on the 3.3 is the same as the 3.2. Might be able to adapt some tuning. BTW you should have heard the backfire I got when I tried to start this SOB. Luckily the engine was not cycling at that moment and it came out the exhaust. It was right after I stopped cranking it. Sounded like an M80 going off. kaBOOOOOOM.

Kent's what's wrong with your car?
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 6 2017, 03:51 PM
Post #809

Well let's just say my last diagnosis was completely inaccurate. IOW's, I was (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sheeplove.gif) wrong. I'll detail it in my thread so others won't make the same mistake. I will be using the other half of that roll of hose soon if just to clean up the front trunk area. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) EDIT: I didn't answer your question, "What is wrong with your car?" Answer; the builder! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 6 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #810

Ah...still getting a little hot? It'll cool WAY down with the 1.25s. Just try not to have any detours or bends in the hoses. Straight back...think about going underneath this time...way less drama. I can send pics if you need them.

BTW I REALLY want ITBs but the cost is just too much I think. Would look SO GOOD too.
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 6 2017, 05:42 PM
Post #811

QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jun 6 2017, 03:13 PM) *

Ah...still getting a little hot? It'll cool WAY down with the 1.25s. Just try not to have any detours or bends in the hoses. Straight back...think about going underneath this time...way less drama. I can send pics if you need them.

BTW I REALLY want ITBs but the cost is just too much I think. Would look SO GOOD too.

Yep. Engine and radiator temps are perfect but the radiator heats the gas tank. Turns out I'm not the 1st. Tony (cracker) had the same problem. He gave me several pointers. The best being; start by enlarging the wheel well openings!
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 7 2017, 12:12 AM
Post #812

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Has anyone done any successful ducting to exit out the wheelwells? That seems to solve alot of the problems in other cooling systems in exotics, etc. It would isolate the heat from the gas tank and anything else much better and could be relatively light if it's done correctly.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 7 2017, 06:52 AM
Post #813

Yes several examples.

Attached Image

As much as I like the above unit it is for a oil cooler. I (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/drooley.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/aktion035.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pray.gif)

Attached Image

This is for a Radiator
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jun 7 2017, 09:04 AM
Post #814

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Those are great examples but the radiator is what we're concerned with and while the carbon fiber is really cool, most of us don't have the skills for that so I'm looking for possibly a sheet metal creation of some sort. I'm currently working on the brakes and suspension but when I get to that point I think I'll need to come up with something functional for ducting. I'll probably be making some bends with the hose so I'll need all of the help I can get.
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
76-914
post Jun 7 2017, 09:08 AM
Post #815

QUOTE(mgp4591 @ Jun 7 2017, 08:04 AM) *

Those are great examples but the radiator is what we're concerned with and while the carbon fiber is really cool, most of us don't have the skills for that so I'm looking for possibly a sheet metal creation of some sort. I'm currently working on the brakes and suspension but when I get to that point I think I'll need to come up with something functional for ducting. I'll probably be making some bends with the hose so I'll need all of the help I can get.

I've considered using canvas w/ metal framing if I end up going this route. Quick and easy to fabricate or remove. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 7 2017, 09:41 AM
Post #816

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(Madswede @ Jun 6 2017, 08:51 AM) *

Clewett TPS (basically a "wide band" TPS) for the PMOs to take advantage of the Megasquirt ability to do ITB tuning maps which is a blend of MAP at lower loads and RPMs and alpha-n under loads/acceleration.

^Jon, do you have links to this setup configuration and more details about the TPS?
+Quote Post
Mueller
post Jun 7 2017, 09:45 AM
Post #817

914 Freak!

Member No.: 87

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 7 2017, 08:08 AM) *

I've considered using canvas w/ metal framing if I end up going this route. Quick and easy to fabricate or remove. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Sounds like an old airplane fabrication method, dope and fabric.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/kits...srebuilding.php
+Quote Post
914forme
post Jun 7 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #818

Mike,

I think he is talking about the Hall Sensors for the PMO carb. TPS can not be a wideband. yOu could increase its ability to be more precise ultimately it ends as a voltage reading.

Hall Effect TPS for PMO
+Quote Post
burton73
post Jun 7 2017, 10:12 AM
Post #819

burton73

Member No.: 7,414

QUOTE(Mueller @ Jun 7 2017, 08:45 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 7 2017, 08:08 AM) *

Sounds like an old airplane fabrication method, dope and fabric.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/kits...srebuilding.php

You could build the shape out of canvas like you said and then coat it with fiberglass and polyester lamenting resin. I had a fiend do that to build a kayak when I was 11

You would have an item to sell if you used a standard cooling that guys building any water cooled 914 could use.

I had heat blowing into my cabin in my old SBC set up in the 70s. “If you want to run cool, you got run on heavy heavy fuel” No I just always thought it was not a good idea to warm up the gas.

Bob B
+Quote Post
Chris H.
post Jun 7 2017, 10:09 PM
Post #820

Ruby914 made that carbon fiber masterpiece. Maybe he would be willing to make some fiberglass copies. Kent I think the thing you need to do is get all of the water lines away from the fuel tank. The larger ones would be a bitch to snake through your longs and then up through the body. I'd just go down the center of the car underneath like I did. None are near the fuel tank even though it looks like it. You could wrap the ends that will be inside the front trunk to keep the heat down too.

Hey Mueller, the latest MS manual has some good info in ITBs. Download the "setting up" manual here and start at page 64:

MS3 Manual
+Quote Post

45 Pages V « < 39 40 41 42 43 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 07:40 PM