Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LED Taillights, Custom Made for the 914
Harpo
post Jan 15 2014, 06:28 PM
Post #221

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,469
Region Association: None

Looks good. I'm inclined to believe that they can't be bright enough. Our tail lamps are lower than most cars and if those following us are indeed one car length per 10 MPH then the brightness should not be a problem. IMO

Thanks for the great work! I can't wait to get a set.

DAvid
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 15 2014, 07:43 PM
Post #222

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

David: That may be true, but there comes a point where you can flash peoples eyes and cause spots where they CAN'T see. That's REAL bad when they're driving behind you. ;-)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 15 2014, 11:11 PM
Post #223

Jerry

Member No.: 3,031

QUOTE(Harpo @ Jan 15 2014, 07:28 PM) *

Looks good. I'm inclined to believe that they can't be bright enough.

I thought the same thing when I started this design. High power LEDs nowadays can put out ridiculous amounts of light.

To compare output levels, I have one board with 63 of the standard 5mm LEDs running about 50mA in each LED. This board with 20 Cree's running 35mA puts out more light than the 63 5mm LEDs.

The test I did today with 200mA produced so much light that was painful to look at. I stood 20 feet away from the board installed in a 914 housing and I couldn't look at it. The shadow produced on the wall looked like a powerful red spotlight.

I will adjust these to be as bright or brighter than any vehicle brake lights I see. The main idea as you point out is to make our 914's be seen under braking.
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Jan 18 2014, 07:40 AM
Post #224

Obviously you have first hand experience with how bright these are and therefore trust your judgment. Looking forward to having this upgrade in my car.

Thanks again

David
+Quote Post
McMark
post Jan 18 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #225

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419

Could you do a few milliseconds of bright flash and then step down to a safe level? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 18 2014, 08:14 PM
Post #226

Custom Member

Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 16 2014, 12:11 AM) *

I thought the same thing when I started this design. High power LEDs nowadays can put out ridiculous amounts of light.

To compare output levels, I have one board with 63 of the standard 5mm LEDs running about 50mA in each LED. This board with 20 Cree's running 35mA puts out more light than the 63 5mm LEDs.

The test I did today with 200mA produced so much light that was painful to look at. I stood 20 feet away from the board installed in a 914 housing and I couldn't look at it. The shadow produced on the wall looked like a powerful red spotlight.

I will adjust these to be as bright or brighter than any vehicle brake lights I see. The main idea as you point out is to make our 914's be seen under braking.

Are you doing something for the 911?
Having pulled up behind a few I am concerned the taillights are far to dim
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 19 2014, 12:19 PM
Post #227

Jerry

QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 18 2014, 09:07 PM) *

Could you do a few milliseconds of bright flash and then step down to a safe level? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif)

Neat idea. Yes, this would be easy to do. How long of brighter flash would be good? 1/10 sec? 2/10 sec?
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 19 2014, 08:02 PM
Post #228

Jerry

QUOTE(r_towle @ Jan 18 2014, 09:14 PM) *

Are you doing something for the 911?
Having pulled up behind a few I am concerned the taillights are far to dim

I plan to do one for the 911. They have really small brake lights.

Here's the latest 914 brake light. I stretched the board vertically to fill the brake light cavity and moved the LEDs to the edges of the board to get a larger light footprint. LEDs shine in the direction you point them. The lenses don't have a very wide dispersion so these will look larger especially at night.

I added the leading edge bright flash when the brakes are applied like Mark suggested.

The circuitry on the back really shrunk since I didn't need all the current the first circuit was designed for. I still use a big ass DPAK FET where I think I could have used a converter with a built-in FET.

Plus I changed from a boost converter to a buck converter. Buck converters are more suitable to handle transients on the brake/taillight wires than a boost converter.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image
+Quote Post
Harpo
post Jan 19 2014, 08:45 PM
Post #229

Looking good
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 19 2014, 09:27 PM
Post #230

Michael

Member No.: 9,712
Region Association: Northern California

I really like the idea of a brighter flash for a couple milliseconds and then stepping it down to just bright.
+Quote Post
jcd914
post Jan 20 2014, 01:11 PM
Post #231

Advanced Member

Member No.: 8,684

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 15 2014, 09:11 PM) *

There are legal limits on the light output from both brake and running lights, something in the range of 100-300 candela for brake lights in the US.

Jim

+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Jan 20 2014, 03:32 PM
Post #232

Member No.: 8,132
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jan 20 2014, 02:11 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 15 2014, 09:11 PM) *

There are legal limits on the light output from both brake and running lights, something in the range of 100-300 candela for brake lights in the US.

Jim

I'm not seeing a maximum limit. I see a minimum limit. I'm looking a NHTSA Table IV-a—Effective Projected Luminous Lens Area Requirements. Then again I'm not even near expert on reading regulations. Anybody know how to read this stuff? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif)

Easier version:
http://books.google.com/books?id=K7OqEdViZ...nts&f=false

NHTSA version:
http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regulations...spx?reg=571.108

Maybe that's why the "NOT FOR ROAD USE" printed on the board. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol-2.gif)
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 20 2014, 04:42 PM
Post #233

Jerry

Been contemplating (IMG:style_emoticons/default/idea.gif) a way to secure the board to the housing with minimal effort.

Mikesmith suggested a clip that would be held in place by the taillight lens and would just clip onto the divider on the housing and the board and thus hold the board in place.

So I used some sheet brass to mock up such a connection.

Here are the pieces. Looks like it will work just fine. I will look into getting these made in plastic or metal.

Attached Image

Just insert the clips into the holes in the board.

Attached Image

And slide the clips onto the plastic dividers.

Attached Image
+Quote Post
CptTripps
post Jan 20 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #234

:: Punch and Pie ::

Member No.: 3,342
Region Association: Upper MidWest

Great work man. That's a seriously great project...expertly executed.
+Quote Post
monkeyboy
post Jan 23 2014, 09:20 AM
Post #235

Member No.: 9,147

Beautiful!
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 24 2014, 12:04 AM
Post #236

Jerry

Here's a comparison of the Cree LED board and the 1157 bulb. The first two flashes are the taillights and the last 3 are brake lights. Quite an improvement over the 1157 bulb.

For braking, the 1157 bulb is burning 21W while the Cree LED board is burning only 1.4W. One can also see the immediate light of the LED vs the 1157 when the brakes are pressed.

I had put in a circuit to flash the brake lights 4 times the intensity for about 1/4 second but it's not working in the car. Worked nicely in the lab with short wires to the power supply. The longer wiring of the vehicle must be slowing the rising edge of the voltage to the lights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyFzq9C1hxM
+Quote Post
Spoke
post Jan 24 2014, 12:31 AM
Post #237

Jerry

This set of LED brake lights is now for sale. This is the only set available with these 5mm LEDs.

I wanted to try these out before I had the Cree LED board going. I've been running these in my car for the last several weeks.

These work well and put out a lot of light. See posts 186 through 196 for the light results.

This is the only set. Just looking to cover my cost at $55 + shipping. Includes 2 boards with pigtails and light bulb bases as shown, and 6 clips.

Real simple installation: pull bulb, insert bulb base, insert clips into boards, clip onto existing enclosure frame.

Respond to this thread if interested in purchase.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Jeffs9146
post Jan 24 2014, 01:05 AM
Post #238

Ski Bum

Member No.: 128

I am in for a set! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post
Speedmster
post Jan 24 2014, 06:28 AM
Post #239

Member No.: 8,132
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 24 2014, 01:31 AM) *

This set of LED brake lights is now for sale. This is the only set available with these 5mm LEDs.

I wanted to try these out before I had the Cree LED board going. I've been running these in my car for the last several weeks.

These work well and put out a lot of light. See posts 186 through 196 for the light results.

This is the only set. Just looking to cover my cost at $55 + shipping. Includes 2 boards with pigtails and light bulb bases as shown, and 6 clips.

Real simple installation: pull bulb, insert bulb base, insert clips into boards, clip onto existing enclosure frame.

Respond to this thread if interested in purchase.

Spoke, is there a chance you could shoot a video or take a photo in broad daylight about 20-30 feet behind the car? Interested in how the LEDs preform in the daytime also. Similar to the photo in post #196 that was at night from the rear of your car.
+Quote Post
Cairo94507
post Jan 24 2014, 08:22 AM
Post #240

Michael

Member No.: 9,712

Wow- this project is moving forward very nicely. That is looking nice. I too would like to see some video from behind during the daytime. Thanks for the hard work and dedication.
+Quote Post

18 Pages V « < 10 11 12 13 14 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th September 2024 - 03:03 PM