Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 1st auto-x next weekend, Next AX September 8th- only 7 points out of 3rd place with 3 events left!
scott_in_nh
post Apr 25 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 12,471
Region Association: North East States

I am reading good things about BFGoodrich g-Force Rivals too...
They do not come in a 195 but do come in a 205.

http://www.onehotlap.com/2013/01/bfgoodric...t-thickens.html

User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Apr 25 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #22

3rd run...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GANu4mJZ7iQ
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post Apr 26 2013, 06:30 PM
Post #23

No comments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That nobody is offering me advice isn't that unexpected, but that nobody is giving me shit is practically unacceptable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

I'd like to get the Direzza ZII's in a 195/50
They will fit the 5.5 steelies better and I don't have to worry about rubbing
+Quote Post
ThePaintedMan
post Apr 26 2013, 10:19 PM
Post #24

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,527
Region Association: South East States

Hey Scott,
I know nothing about AX, but I think it's cool you got your car out there! We're running Falken Azenis RT-615Ks (205/50s) on our car, and while it's close, they fit. Haven't had the chance to shake the car down totally yet, but I threw it into a 90 degree corner at Sebring last weekend doing 50 and the tires barely made a sound. Keep in mind that tire fitment is totally based on wheel offset though. Good luck buddy! Don't be afraid to lower your pressures!
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Apr 27 2013, 06:04 AM
Post #25

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

And so it starts....Have fun!
+Quote Post
Woody
post Apr 27 2013, 01:20 PM
Post #26

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

[quote name='scott_in_nh' post='1855852' date='Apr 26 2013, 07:30 PM']
No comments (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif)

That nobody is offering me advice isn't that unexpected, but that nobody is giving me shit is practically unacceptable (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chair.gif)

I'd like to get the Direzza ZII's in a 195/50
They will fit the 5.5 steelies better and I don't have to worry about rubbing
[/quote

Looks good, you made it around the course without getting lost. Now go faster. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif) Yes the 195s will fit better but I would still want the 205s for a little more footprint. You may want to look for some wider wheels. Maybe a 6 or 6.5. Just my $.02.
+Quote Post
bulitt
post Apr 27 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #27

Achtzylinder

Member No.: 13,632

Like Woodman says "go faster". Thats all I know, I'm a conehitter.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post May 1 2013, 06:40 PM
Post #28

Round two this Sunday!

Sorry to say I'm still on all season radials, but there is still time to be found in the nut behind the wheel... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
Woody
post May 1 2013, 07:44 PM
Post #29

Sandbox Rabblerouser and head toilet scrubber

Member No.: 12,530
Region Association: Southwest Region

One of the things that helps me the most is after your first couple runs, after you begin to get comfortable with the course, is to visualize it. Try to remember where you may be able to pick up some time. Maybe areas that you're taking too fast as well and would benefit from slowing down just a bit. It's faster to keep it in tight sometimes.
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 3 2013, 01:11 PM
Post #30

Advanced Member

Member No.: 750

I'm sure the following has already been mentioned, but here are a few more basics.

1. Walk the course

2. Do the walk with an instructor or seasoned driver

3. Figure out where you need to be on the course to make any turn. Some would argue that you first need to decide early or late apex for any particular corner, but figuring out where you want the car (right, left or center) of the course at least gets you close.

4. At any corner decide where you need to be looking (*) when you start the corner. If your not looking where you're going you will end up in the wrong place. Students will always ask, "but how can I drive this corner looking at the next one." If you are looking forward you will automatically set up the car not only for the corner you are in, but also the next apex. Kind of magic!
(*) Don't just look at the corner, look at the exact cones that will end up being your apexs. If you think about that then a 11 corner autox becomes just +/-11 cones, or sets of cones. You can block out all the other cones because they won't be where you are going.

5. When thinking about the course (right on Woody!) visualize where you will be full on the gas, full on the brakes or turning. A perfect autox run is one where you are either accelerating, braking or turning, nothing else. Sometimes in slalom you are accelerating and turning or some combination of these, but the basic principal of going flat out, braking or turning helps you to visualize what you need to do at any point on the course. And trust me you will typically be braking early and will continue to brake early until you run some brake exercises (autox school) where you learn just how quickly your car stops.

6. Walk the course three or four times and by the 3rd/4th time you should have those critical cones viewed and identified each time you come to a corner.

7. After you make a run stop and think about what you did where and what you are going to change. Do this before talking with anyone after you finish a run. Write it down or draw it, whatever get's it into your head best.

8. Learn proper hand positions for any turn.... nah, not going to talk about that now.

Anyway, stuff to think about.

Have fun.

And in car video is really a great teacher. You can watch exactly what your did, in relationship to the above points and figure out what to change next time.
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post May 5 2013, 06:29 PM
Post #31

Came in 3rd in the novice group today.
I aired down the tires quite a bit.
With the lower pressure I could feel the sidewalls squriming but it seemed to have more traction.
There wasn't any evidence of the tire rolling under....

There is an Dodge Stealth twin turbo AWD that is about a second ahead of me.
I don't think I can catch him on the tires I'm on.
Next race isn't until June 2nd.

After I was done, I did take some rides with other members in their cars - I could do that all day, what a blast!

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 5 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #32

Advanced Member

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ May 5 2013, 05:29 PM) *

Came in 3rd in the novice group today.
I aired down the tires quite a bit.
With the lower pressure I could feel the sidewalls squriming but it seemed to have more traction.
There wasn't any evidence of the tire rolling under....

There is an Dodge Stealth twin turbo AWD that is about a second ahead of me.
I don't think I can catch him on the tires I'm on.
Next race isn't until June 2nd.

After I was done, I did take some rides with other members in their cars - I could do that all day, what a blast!

That is a good performance Scott. Nice going. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post May 6 2013, 02:01 PM
Post #33

So I have a stock front bar and a rear bar to put in (but haven't yet).
Everyone says to not run the rear bar in AX anyway, but I am experiencing a fair amount of body roll and am considering the 140 lbs. springs instead.

1) will the ride still be decent enough for a date car or is my girlfriend going to hate it?

2)will they help with the body roll, thereby increasing traction and lowering course times?

3)what is the best way to get back to the correct ride height?

I'll be mounting them on the old 3 click Koni's I have and would assume some type of spacer would be the quick way....
+Quote Post
6freak
post May 6 2013, 03:15 PM
Post #34

MR.C

Member No.: 8,829
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

go as fast as you can ,,,then put a good AX driver in the seat and check the times against yours ,that will show you how much you can improve, and dont forget to have fun (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
scott_in_nh
post May 6 2013, 04:16 PM
Post #35

I am having fun - Lots of it!
I can't put another driver in it, they would have a hard time with 2nd.
+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 6 2013, 05:48 PM
Post #36

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ May 6 2013, 01:01 PM) *
Everyone says to not run the rear bar in AX anyway, but I am experiencing a fair amount of body roll and am considering the 140 lbs. springs instead.

1) will the ride still be decent enough for a date car or is my girlfriend going to hate it?

2)will they help with the body roll, thereby increasing traction and lowering course times?

I'll be mounting them on the old 3 click Koni's I have and would assume some type of spacer would be the quick way....

Slow down ...
This is your 2nd AX?
Stop thinking about what you want to do to the car. Forget new tires. Forget new springs. Forget new sway bars.

Get a good instructor the next time you go out. Listen to them. Then listen some more.
Drive the car the way it is right now.
You need to get a good feel for a stock car on stock tires before you start fiddling with the car setup and components.

I bet a good instructor can help you shave several seconds off your times. For free.
Then get seat time. Lots of it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

PS: Save the new and shiny parts for next season ...
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 6 2013, 06:01 PM
Post #37

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2013, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(scott_in_nh @ May 6 2013, 01:01 PM) *

Slow down ...
This is your 2nd AX?
Stop thinking about what you want to do to the car. Forget new tires. Forget new springs. Forget new sway bars.

Get a good instructor the next time you go out. Listen to them. Then listen some more.
Drive the car the way it is right now.
You need to get a good feel for a stock car on stock tires before you start fiddling with the car setup and components.

I bet a good instructor can help you shave several seconds off your times. For free.
Then get seat time. Lots of it.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

PS: Save the new and shiny parts for next season ...

To echo Andy's advice.

I listened to Rich Bontempi (High Performance House) when he told me to do nothing but drive for the first year. Also to go to every autox school you can find and take instructors on rides at every event.

I've never had a student that I couldn't get to shave off 7-10 seconds on a 60 second course, so just the car you have is good enough. Just set the tire pressure low enough so that you don't have roll over and you are good to go.

BTW Hank Watt's book on autoxing is good reading material. All the basics are in the book. http://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Solo-Racing-...g/dp/0962057312

The only thing I didn't like in the book is his instruction on hand positioning, but this is stuff you'll learn after the basics.

+Quote Post
SirAndy
post May 6 2013, 06:13 PM
Post #38

Resident German

Group: Admin
Member No.: 179
Region Association: Northern California

QUOTE(Randal @ May 6 2013, 05:01 PM) *
The only thing I didn't like in the book is his instruction on hand positioning, but this is stuff you'll learn after the basics.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I tried to use his method but it just doesn't feel right. I have my own way which seems to work ok, but most of all comes natural, without thinking.

The best advice i can give as far as hand positioning goes, either grab the steering wheel really firm or let go of it.

The knock-back can really hurt your fingers and arms and sometimes it's best to just let go, wait for it to straighten itself out and grab it again.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)
+Quote Post
Randal
post May 6 2013, 06:26 PM
Post #39

Advanced Member

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 6 2013, 05:13 PM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ May 6 2013, 05:01 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

I tried to use his method but it just doesn't feel right. I have my own way which seems to work ok, but most of all comes natural, without thinking.

The best advice i can give as far as hand positioning goes, either grab the steering wheel really firm or let go of it.

The knock-back can really hurt your fingers and arms and sometimes it's best to just let go, wait for it to straighten itself out and grab it again.
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/popcorn[1].gif)

I didn't like it either.

My favorite way is to drop my opposite hand to the bottom of the steering wheel (right hand for left turn or left hand for right turn). Then, approaching the corner, start moving the bottom hand up, and move your opposite hand down so that your hands are parallel to the ground when you're in the middle of the corner. You have so much more control this way.

Watch any autox and see how many people are trying to counter steer or whatever with their hands crossed! Like trying to drive up-side-down. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
mskala
post May 6 2013, 06:51 PM
Post #40

R

Member No.: 79
Region Association: None

putting on new parts IMO requires taking some time to think through,
as chances are it won't be just one thing, and for a car that's been around
for 40 years there will always be people to get opinions from. Also I agree
it's not really the time to do it while you're learning.

If you like that area, our club will be there this saturday. $50
for non-members, sign up by wednesday night.
NCR PCA May 11 Reg

If I know the weather will be shitty I won't be going, but probably will go if
the forecast looks okay. I don't know if any other 914's will be there, one of
our best 914 drivers moved away last year and NHMS is more north than
our usual place.

Unless you have a decent video system I think having someone else drive
your car is a waste of time (maybe even then). Instructors can feel what's
going on from the passenger seat. Ride with people who know the line.
+Quote Post

9 Pages V < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2024 - 03:31 AM