Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> O/T gotta get a new home computer, any ideas
hargray2
post Nov 23 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #21

fuh-q

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,432

I have a Sony Vaio PCV-RZ32G Digital studio thingy. Got it about 14 months ago.
ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT!!!!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 23 2004, 11:29 PM
Post #22

Life's been good to me so far.....

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1,143
Region Association: NineFourteenerVille

QUOTE(914RS @ Nov 23 2004, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Nov 23 2004, 06:20 PM)
I've never met a Windows user (non-techie) who hasn't had a computer eat itself to death at least once.  I've never met a Mac user who has.

My Grandma had a Mac for about 4 or 5 years and I never went out to fix it.  My aunt bought her a new Windows machine replacement that's died twice this year alone.

I'm not claiming absolute truths, all I'm saying is that from my perspective more people have a more positive experience with a Mac.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif) Geeze... you guys know how to hit a guy where it hurts!! :finger2:

Of course I run Windows XP /Windows 2003 Server Exclusively. But then again, I am biased.... I work for Microsoft.

Everyone keep buying new copies of Windows. When the stock goes up, I have more money to spend on 914 parts!!!
User is online!Profile CardPM
+Quote Post
Series9
post Nov 23 2004, 11:39 PM
Post #23

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 23 2004, 10:29 PM)
I work for Microsoft.

Everyone keep buying new copies of Windows.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer3.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/finger.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ar15.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beer.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/beerchug.gif) :finger2: (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif)
+Quote Post
McMark
post Nov 24 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #24

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ Nov 23 2004, 09:29 PM)
QUOTE(914RS @ Nov 23 2004, 07:30 PM)
QUOTE(markd@mac.com @ Nov 23 2004, 06:20 PM)
I've never met a Windows user (non-techie) who hasn't had a computer eat itself to death at least once.  I've never met a Mac user who has.

My Grandma had a Mac for about 4 or 5 years and I never went out to fix it.  My aunt bought her a new Windows machine replacement that's died twice this year alone.

I'm not claiming absolute truths, all I'm saying is that from my perspective more people have a more positive experience with a Mac.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/pissoff.gif) Geeze... you guys know how to hit a guy where it hurts!! :finger2:

Of course I run Windows XP /Windows 2003 Server Exclusively. But then again, I am biased.... I work for Microsoft.

Everyone keep buying new copies of Windows. When the stock goes up, I have more money to spend on 914 parts!!!

Just keep making software that breaks itself and there will be no problem. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/poke.gif)
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 24 2004, 07:36 AM
Post #25

Actually Mark, you are comparing Apples to oranges here..... The Mac is a great computer, very reliable. But think about this. If Apple had to make software that would run on millions of different hardware conbinations and literally millions of third party drivers, then Apple would have the same problems that Microsoft does. Working here, I realize that there is absolutely NO software that is bug free. It's written by humans therefore it's flawed. But what I do see is that most of the problems we see come from 2 sources. The number 1 problem is ignorance. More calls are made because the users want an appliance. They don't want to read the manual, and they don't want to have to do anything other than turn it on. They don't install virus scanners, they don't turn on the firewall, and they have a tendency to visit any site offered to them in e-mail. So they get crap on their machine.

The number 2 problem is the users are cheap. They buy cheap hardware with poorly written drivers, and then they blame Microsoft when the system crashes.

Macs don't have either of these problems. Apple has strict control over the hardware and drivers, so there is no way to introduce any hardware incompatibilites. They also keep strict control over the software and API calls. When was the last time you saw a software developement kit for the Mac?

As for the stupid user tricks, IIRC, there is only one virus that is out there that affects the Mac. Malware authors target Windows because it has the most install base. It's like building parts for cars. You going to sell more brake pads for Chebbys or for 914s?

As for Linux, I see the same issues that plague Windows becoming more and more prevalent on Linux in the future. Right now, the users of Linux are computer literate people. As it gets installed onto Grandma's PC, it too will be left incorrectly configured and vulernable to a large number of virii. It will also start suffering from the same problems of poorly developed drivers for the cheap hardware out there. Right now if the driver for Linux sucks, someone will write one that doesn't. But when it's installed on Grandma's computer, she won't know why it's crashing, much less how to search the newsgroups to find the latest developed driver.

FYI.. I have run Windows based servers that rival UNIX installs for uptime and reliability. I have XP systems that only get rebooted during a power failure, and I don't get virii or trojans or other malware. But I am a professional, and I know how to correctly configure my systems.

Bottom line to this. USE WHAT WORKS FOR YOU, AND WHAT YOU ARE MOST COMFORTABLE WITH USING. I personally would like to see you buy more Microsoft software, but if it doesn't work for you, that's fine too. Microsoft makes an Office suite for the Mac. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Nov 24 2004, 07:47 AM
Post #26

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

Owned a Mac once. Never again... I need a real computer, not a freaking toy, or something for designed for artists. I need something I can fix myself, troubleshoot myself if need be, and that actually is recogized in the majority of the computer world.

Mac certainly wasn't it back then... and I'm not stepping back into the previous century again. It gets old hearing about how crappy Windows is. Just not true anymore. Every computer needs a firewall these days. Keep your system up to date with Windows Update and antivirus software, and you're pretty darned secure.

Heck, there's a reason that our best defense networks aren't run on Apples.

-Lawrence

P.S. Want a computer you can understand? Pick up a copy of Computer Shopper magazine and build your own! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smash.gif)
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Nov 24 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #27

"Ya canna change the laws of Physics"

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 288

Wife needed a reliable, inexpensive, already configured computer that would run out of the box, and require minimal effort to keep it running.

Dell with XP. It runs and runs and runs. Total cost was under $400 and included Norton Anti virus. It's been running a year with no problems.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Nov 24 2004, 08:19 AM
Post #28

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

Umm...Clay...

Doesn't Microsoft require you to add a disclaimer to that type of statement saying that those opinions are your own and do not necessarily reflect the position of Microsoft? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif)
+Quote Post
joea9146
post Nov 24 2004, 08:35 AM
Post #29

Member No.: 283

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Nov 24 2004, 09:47 AM)

-Lawrence

Probaly not running on microsoft either .... most likely a stripped down Unix OS
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 24 2004, 08:40 AM
Post #30

Born to Drive

Member No.: 17
Region Association: Southern California

I agree with Clay 100%, I do support for over 300 users and 99% of the time it is PEBKAC. User error. I have about 10 MAC users and they have problems too from time to time as well. Why would they give me a MAC to learn if they didnt need support. Sure, the MAC is a good machine, but like Clay said, there are more Windows users than MAC users, therefore you will have more problems with Windows users. James, your $400.00 Dell came with only a 3 month subscription to Norton Anti virus, you must have updated the subscription on that. Those machines have their place, but unless you are an informed user, you will get adware and other crap on your computer just browsing the web. The computer I am on has not had one problem since I got it last January and I spend a lot more time on it than most people.
+Quote Post
Part Pricer
post Nov 24 2004, 08:43 AM
Post #31

Believe everything I post

Member No.: 35

QUOTE(joea9146 @ Nov 24 2004, 09:35 AM)

-Lawrence

Probaly not running on microsoft either .... most likely a stripped down Unix OS

Actually Joe you may be surprised.

Years ago, I led the team that migrated the USMC from a Vines-based system to --CLASSIFIED--
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 24 2004, 08:44 AM
Post #32

Born to Drive

QUOTE(joea9146 @ Nov 24 2004, 06:35 AM)

-Lawrence

Not so, I went to do a job out at March AF base and they were on a microsoft system, all the workstations and thier servers. Not one MAC on the whole base unless it was a personally owned machine by someone stationed there. My oldest daughter was stationed out at NORAD in Virginia and every system she worked on was MS based also.
+Quote Post
ClayPerrine
post Nov 24 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #33

The only way to prevent users from screwing up their computer....

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 24 2004, 09:03 AM
Post #34

Born to Drive

Thats great!!! I love it. I am going to print that and give it to all teh support teams at my clients offices. I would almost bet, some of the users want to order some of that equipment.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lol2.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/chairfall.gif)
+Quote Post
jfort
post Nov 24 2004, 10:09 AM
Post #35

Member No.: 652
Region Association: Upper MidWest

i have a mac and a pc in my office and use both. mac wins hands down.
+Quote Post
scruz914
post Nov 24 2004, 10:32 AM
Post #36

Member No.: 1,724

QUOTE(skline @ Nov 23 2004, 07:51 PM)
Bring your computer (Just the tower) with you when you come up here, I can take a look at it and tell you what you need, I may even have the parts here to fix it and you can take it back with you. If not, Fry's is one offramp away from me and you could go over there and pick one up.

I'd take Scott up on his offer. Even if your computer is a few years old it may still be worth keeping if it can be easily fixed. There are a lot of parts that fail and can be easily replaced for little money. Save buying a new machine until you absolutely need one. The longer you wait the better.

-Jeff
+Quote Post
Rhodes71/914
post Nov 24 2004, 11:56 AM
Post #37

Glacier

Member No.: 2,482

Started on an Apple 2, forced to use Windows based machines for years, finally able to go Mac last year. I would get...

Attached image(s)
Attached Image
+Quote Post
skline
post Nov 24 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #38

Born to Drive

Funny you guys all talking about MACS, this might age me a little but the first computer I had to fix was an Apple Lisa. How many remember that one?
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Nov 24 2004, 01:52 PM
Post #39

Scott,

Nope, a year. And she has had no problems, no adware, no bugs, etc. I also keep the O/S and the virus protection up to date and we live behind a router/firewall. I had SP/2 installed before most people. I also support about a dozen machines...

Not perfect, but there are lots of easier targets out there.

James
+Quote Post
Red-Beard
post Nov 24 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #40

The Lisa never went anywhere. Apple _could_ have been the dominant computer. It was in the Early 80's. But they made a corporate decision (after all of the Apple clones - like the Franklin) to keep the architecture closed and all hardware would be supplied by Apple only. It virtually killed the company.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st June 2024 - 02:41 PM