Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> /6 valve adjustment, Advice Wanted...
Lawrence
post May 22 2003, 09:09 PM
Post #1

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 244
Region Association: None

I've only done one valve adjustment on my /6, and that was under the watchful eye of Wes Hildreth.

The valves are a bit noisy when cold. I've checked the archives and have an old copy of the PP tech article for the 911.

Tricks or helpful tips, anyone?

-Rusty
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 2 2003, 09:44 AM
Post #2

Wanted: Engine case GA003709

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6
Region Association: Galt's Gulch

bump.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 2 2003, 10:08 AM
Post #3

rich herzog

Group: Members
Member No.: 513

there doesn't seem to be any magick, other than making sure you've drained the oil and got a new set of silicone-bead gaskets. i don't have a lot of stick time on this procedure myself, personally, as in hands-on. some people swear you -have- to pull the heat exchangers "to do the job properly" -- and some are just as adamant you don't. i guess it's a personal issue on 'properly' - i donno. put some penetrating oil on the studs & nuts ahead of time just in case, have some spare studs, and a new set of exhaust port gaskets standing by is what i'd do...

i -do- know that having the appropriate feeler gauge - the hook-shaped one that has a place for fingers to grab and a teeny blade where the dot would be on a question mark ( ? ) is the preferred tool for the job.
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 2 2003, 10:09 AM
Post #4

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45

Most of my "tricks" concern finding TDC of each cylinder. One can mark the front pully with each cyl that comes to TDC at each 120deg mark. AIR, 1 and 4 are at the Z1 mark, but 360 deg apart. Twice around and you've covered them all.

To turn the motor, block one wheel so it won't turn, put it in gear, and turn the other wheel. One can go fwd and backwards to get it right on. I don't even take out the plugs....unless I'm gonna replace em".

I always have a .005 feeler gauge as a "no go".

I've got it down to a 4-5 hour job.
+Quote Post
mskala
post Sep 2 2003, 10:19 AM
Post #5

R

Member No.: 79

It was/is a pain in the butt before I started removing the heat
exchangers to do it. Remember to have 6 exhaust gaskets on
hand. I don't think they should be reused.

Why would you mark the pulley, which can't be seen, when the
flywheel already has 120 degree marks on it?
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 2 2003, 10:33 AM
Post #6

Irrelevant old fart

Ever recourceful 6er conversion guys DO have access to the pully (visual & physical) but DON'T have marks on their flywheel.

If you're fortunate enuff to have a
"real"(slow (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cool_shades.gif) ) 6, I would advise putting numbers by the 120 deg marks. The CW judges will ding ya tho (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 2 2003, 12:50 PM
Post #7

Thank you for the tips, everyone.

I have headers on the car, so I'll have a bit more room than the last time I had to work on the valves. It was so long ago, that I figured I'd ask for tips.

JP, you mentioned marking the flywheel. 1 and 4 should be at Z1. I remember that. Will watching distributor position make any difference at all?

I have the appropriate feeler gauge, with extra blades. IIRC, Wes Hildreth apparently buys blade material in long strips, and dispenses with even using the holder. I haven't found a source for those strips yet.

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)

P.S. I've got a storage area rented, and will move the /6 there tonight. Tomorrow I'll start screwing with the valves, after I lay down plastic and drain all the oil out. Any other ideas between now and then will be welcome!
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 2 2003, 01:52 PM
Post #8

I thought about something... if this is a stupid question, slap me - but answer it first.

If I dont have 120 degree marks on my flywheel, how am I to know when I reach 120 degrees, when I'm turning a tire?

-Rusty (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smoke.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Sep 2 2003, 02:13 PM
Post #9

Irrelevant old fart

The marks are on the pully.....mirrors are gud. It does involve mooving around a bit. If you leave the plugs in, you can feel it come up on the compression stroke. I bit of practice and it's a pice of pie (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blink.gif)

Why can I still remember the Chebbie firing order(18436572) but not the 9eleben?

We have the strip shims at work.....various thicknesses, but only the .004 jobbies ever follow me home....go figure.
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 2 2003, 02:16 PM
Post #10

rich herzog

QUOTE(Lawrence @ Sep 2 2003, 11:52 AM)
If I dont have 120 degree marks on my flywheel, how am I to know when I reach 120 degrees, when I'm turning a tire?

crankshaft pulley; bring a mirror, be prepared to jump and down a lot. or you can use the Larson / Thoruson method, which (oversimplified) says when one side's valve is open, the same valve on the other side is closed. since most of the cam (duration degrees-wise) is base circle, ultra precision in determining TDC is not really required...

and be happy you don't have an AC pulley on your crankshaft pulley ...
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 2 2003, 02:17 PM
Post #11

rich herzog

QUOTE(J P Stein @ Sep 2 2003, 12:13 PM)
why can I still remember the Chebbie firing order(18436572) but not the 9eleben?

1-6-2-4-3-5
+Quote Post
Dave_Darling
post Sep 2 2003, 04:42 PM
Post #12

914 Idiot

Member No.: 121
Region Association: Northern California

The Larson/Thorusen method depends on the 914-4 motor having the cylinders on the opposite sides of the motor using the same cam lobes. You can probably get away with it on a DOHC motor like the 911 one, but I wouldn't want to be the first to do so...

BTW, I talked to some 914-6 owners (and 75+ 911 owners) locally, and they all agreed that there was only one trick to it: "Pay someone else to do it!" (No, I'm not really kidding....)

--DD
+Quote Post
Rusty
post Sep 2 2003, 04:52 PM
Post #13

I wish I could pay someone to do it... but the valves are starting to sound a bit loud, and I don't trust anyone here in central Kansas.

Yep. 16-24-35. Lousy measurements, but all were great ages when I was 19. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
+Quote Post
ArtechnikA
post Sep 2 2003, 04:55 PM
Post #14

rich herzog

QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Sep 2 2003, 02:42 PM)
The Larson/Thorusen method depends on the 914-4 motor having the cylinders on the opposite sides of the motor using the same cam lobes.

Larson's said it works on 911 engines and i haven't worked through the firing order on paper to verify that it does (or doesn't) work -- but i tend to believe him. i -think- it depends only on the firing order intrinsic to a boxer engine.
+Quote Post
scotty
post Sep 2 2003, 05:06 PM
Post #15

The Fun Never Stops

Member No.: 718

I wish I could pay someone to do it...

Awwww, c'mon...it's fun and relaxing (except for that up/down part)! And when you get it right, *sweet* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/laugh.gif)
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th June 2024 - 01:06 PM