Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> another fossil, dug up
jim912928
post Jan 3 2005, 04:02 PM
Post #61

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

I just went through my ljet this past summer, it's great once you get it nailed. First thing is if you know if the injectors are firing? Best way to this is to remove the distributer cap...points closed!...and with your finger or a non-conductive material (like a wood) open and close the points with the ignition on. You should hear each injector firing when you open the points. All injectors fire at the same time. If you hear clicking then they are firing (doesn't mean they are not clogged and thus not letting in any gas!). If they are clicking, the next test would be to see if they actually are getting fuel. Your fuel pump on an ljet doesn't run unless the MAF flap is opened. Do you know if it is stuck closed?. Easiest way to test this is to remove the air cleaner and hold the MAF flap open with your finger or a screw driver and then turn the ignition on. You should then hear the fuel pump running. If the fuel pump is not running then check the relay or the fuse on the relay board. Also check to make sure you are getting 12v at the pump (remember..have to have the flap open to check voltage).

If you injectors are clicking and your fuel pump is running, then the next thing to check is if you are actually getting fuel. To check if the injectors are clogged you need to pull the injector (easy...you have that retaining bolt and they pull out) and place it in a jar and pump the engine. You should get fuel. NOTE::::::pull the coil wire to the distributer before you do this as you want NO spark! If you get no fuel you either have a clog elswhere or the injectors are clogged. Test each injector and if you get nothing there then start backing up to see if it is clogged elsewhere to rule out the injectors.

Jim

p.s. also check to make sure you MAF is wired up to the injection harness!
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 3 2005, 04:20 PM
Post #62

Member No.: 1,162
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

we've done quite a bit of what you have suggested. i installed all new plugs, cap, rotor, points, condenser, fuel pump, vacuum lines, fuel lines. additionally, the aux air valve works, cold start valve works, afm flap operates properly, injectors work (at workbench with 9v). fuel pressure is 37, compression is between 140 and 150 on all cylinders.

what's probably happening is that the injectors are not receiving spark, or if they do, it's intermittent for some reason. we'll figure it out today i think.

~a
+Quote Post
jim912928
post Jan 3 2005, 04:53 PM
Post #63

Member No.: 1,536
Region Association: Upper MidWest

if you do that distributer test...opening and closing the points with the ignition on...you will definitely hear the injectors clicking...should be every time you open/close the points. If that isn't happening you may have an issue with the resister pack (check those wires...it hangs off the battery tray) or the wiring harness itself. It's unlikely that you have a ECM problem as those things are pretty rugged.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 3 2005, 08:35 PM
Post #64

update: it runs! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smilie_pokal.gif)

there were two culprits. craig laughlin put me on the right track for the first one. he suggested that it might be a loose wire on the resistor pack. this turned out not to be the case, however while i was down there i took a good look at the double relay. sure enough, on one of the plugs there was a wire that had worked loose, just happened to be the thick red wire from the battery. this explains why some injectors were working intermittently. the spade was making random contact whenver the plug or wiring was jostled. and we did a lot of jostling. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

the other culprit was the oil filler neck. the filler cap on l-jet is supposed to have a gasket to help it seat properly. this gasket was missing on my car, so we went to the local hardware store and picked up a decent o-ring that will work until i find the correct part number. btw, anyone know the part # for this seal?

gotta give props to jim chambers who drove over to my house from portland on several occasions to help me test a bunch of stuff. he checked the dwell and set the timing this afternoon after i got it running. also big thanks to craig laughlin for providing a new fuel pump and putting me on the trail of the injector problem. and thanks to all who gave me many suggestions on things to check.

so after not being fired for 20 years, it runs! not super smooth yet, but we'll get there. now all i need is new tires, some body work, a new muffler, and...

~a
+Quote Post
2-OH!
post Jan 4 2005, 11:26 AM
Post #65

Member No.: 1,253

Aaron:

I have a 73 that I'm going to take the windshield out of to refurb the car...The trim looks good, scratched but not bent...

I am not going to reuse it so it's yours if you want...The down side is you have to come take it off yourself (Just south of Seattle) as I have had no luck removing without bending in the past...

Let me know quick because I want the windshield out in this week to start on the clean-up...

2-OH!
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 12 2005, 12:02 PM
Post #66

installed new fuel pump, fuel lines, fuel tank and sender. uninstalled rats nest of relays and wiring for the aftermarket fog lights.

Attached Image

~a
+Quote Post
Series9
post Jan 12 2005, 12:10 PM
Post #67

Lesbians taste like chicken.

Member No.: 2,602
Region Association: South East States

Back to the chrome windshield trim. It's not really that expensive. I got a new set from PP for about $200.
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2005, 12:11 PM
Post #68

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif) Wow, sure looks great! You are doing a great job. What a find! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)
+Quote Post
Root_Werks
post Jan 12 2005, 12:12 PM
Post #69

Village Idiot

Member No.: 2,105

QUOTE (914RS @ Jan 12 2005, 10:10 AM)
Back to the chrome windshield trim. It's not really that expensive. I got a new set from PP for about $200.

I have a used set for $50, would probably need to be straigthened a little. Has all the pieces.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 21 2005, 12:15 PM
Post #70

whew! lotsa work to get this one roadworthy. during the brake bleeding process (which btw yielded brake fluid that was chocolate in color) i found out the mc was hemorrhaging fluid badly. here's a pic of the pedal cluster sitting in a lake of brake fluid. fluid had also migrated down the center tunnel. mucho fun...
Attached Image

after cleanup, which involved a shop vac, dawn detergent, and lots of water.
Attached Image

while i was under there, i also noticed a different paint color on the bottom dash metal. hmmm.
Attached Image

anyone know what these wires do???? they weren't plugged in. i'm especially curious about the round one.
Attached Image

the spring for the clutch pedal is broken, so i need a new one, or a new pedal cluster that's not coated with brake fluid and beginning to rust.
Attached Image

jp would be so proud, i built myself some 12" cubes out of 3/4" plywood to set the car on. jackstands make me nervous too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Attached Image

that's all for now. new 2.0 liter exhaust and ss exchangers comes in a few days, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mueba.gif) i need to get off my butt and remove the stock exhaust system.

~a
+Quote Post
boxstr
post Jan 21 2005, 12:35 PM
Post #71

MEMBER:PACIFIC NORTHWEST REGION

Member No.: 12

AA while youare in there you might as well throw a 19mm master cylinder at it. The round plug is for the EGR counter which sits up under the foam in the passeger footwell. The other wires I believe are for the optional center console gauges.
Looks good kepp at it.
The dash color is normal. most 914s had a different color dash inner structure than the outside car color.
CCLINDUMPWASTE
+Quote Post
jtf914
post Jan 21 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #72

Member No.: 58
Region Association: North East States

I'm guessing the wires are for an appearance group center console (all except the round one). Buy yourself a pedal cluster rebuild kit, it will have all the springs and bushings you'll need.

Looking Good (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smilie_pokal.gif)

-Justin
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 21 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #73

AA while youare in there you might as well throw a 19mm master cylinder at it.

got one coming from hph, i was ordering new 2.0 ss exchangers and other exhaust bits from them and threw the mc into the order.

The round plug is for the EGR counter which sits up under the foam in the passeger footwell. The other wires I believe are for the optional center console gauges.

ahhh, i wondered what that weird foam thingy was, i thought it looked like a smuggler's hole, a guy could hide a good sized pistol in there (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/laugh.gif) or some sweet leaf (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/smoke.gif)

so the wires are already there? i could add a console then (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/idea.gif)

~a
+Quote Post
914werke
post Jan 21 2005, 01:13 PM
Post #74

"I got blisters on me fingers"

Member No.: 453

Dbl-A, are you trlinvg up to Marysville? Is so I hav another Pedel cluster. The other problem w/ that leak is the OE bushings swell and stick the pedel action, ther fix is the bronze(ite) bush kit from various sources.
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 21 2005, 01:23 PM
Post #75

QUOTE (rdauenhauer @ Jan 21 2005, 11:13 AM)
Dbl-A, are you trlinvg up to Marysville? Is so I hav another Pedel cluster. The other problem w/ that leak is the OE bushings swell and stick the pedel action, ther fix is the bronze(ite) bush kit from various sources.

don't think i can make it. i might just get the rebuild kit from pelican, or someone here on the forum if they've got it. but send me a pic of your cluster...

~a
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 31 2005, 05:51 PM
Post #76

floorpan refinished and pedal cluster rebuilt with the great bushing kit from pelican. roll pin gave me no problems. this was before, with a moat of brake fluid. yuck! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/icon8.gif)
Attached Image

flaking paint and rust was ground off, masked, primed with etching primer and painted body color from rattle can.
Attached Image

used a wire wheel to grind down the cluster parts, repainted the ones that were originally black.
Attached Image

cluster, rebuilt.
Attached Image

partially installed. dead sexy!
Attached Image
+Quote Post
Porsche Rescue
post Jan 31 2005, 07:52 PM
Post #77

Saving and Enjoying Old Porsches

Member No.: 64
Region Association: None

Very nice work. I'll bring mine over tomorrow. Where did you find the nice matching rattle can paint?
+Quote Post
double-a
post Jan 31 2005, 08:15 PM
Post #78

jim, i got the matching paint mixed at bob's paint land up at the intersection of 99 and hwy 99. great place, been around for years. i was there to get the etching primer and thought i might as well see if they can match signal orange. they had a manual with all the paint codes so it was a done deal. it's not exact, but good enuf for the floorpan. (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif)
+Quote Post
J P Stein
post Feb 1 2005, 03:14 AM
Post #79

Irrelevant old fart

Member No.: 45
Region Association: None

I have the window trim out of my car. I ain't puttin' it back in.....come & git it if you still have the need......cheep!
+Quote Post
SpecialK
post Feb 1 2005, 03:23 AM
Post #80

aircraft surgeon

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,797

Beautiful resto on the pedal cluster double-a, now you need one of Engman's aluminum pedal boards (of which I'm a proud owner (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif) ) so you can peel back the carpet and display your handywork.....it'd be a shame to hide it!

VERY NICE!! (IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/html/emoticons/beerchug.gif)
+Quote Post

7 Pages V « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 11:22 PM