Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tracking Oil Leak on a 2.0, Oil leaking in multiple spots, could this be the oil pan gasket?
'70PVW914
post Nov 1 2013, 05:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,594
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Hey! New to the forum. Just bought a 1970 914 1.7 that was converted to a dual weber carb 2.0 engine by the previous owner. Got her home and she seems to be leaving sizable spots of oil in my garage. Have not gotten it up on a lift, but I am thinking it is the oil pan gasket. Seem like the best place to start? Any advice on where to find one?
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
Kirmizi
post Nov 1 2013, 05:12 PM
Post #2

Member No.: 5,568
Region Association: None

The Type IV engine does not have an oil pan so we can rule that out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)
Unfortunately, they do have plenty of places to potentially leak oil from, both on top and bottom of the engine
In relation to the engine, where are the oil spots located?

+Quote Post
ConeDodger
post Nov 1 2013, 05:14 PM
Post #3

Apex killer!

Member No.: 3,380
Region Association: Northern California

I would plan on sealing it.

They will leak from the oil pressure sender (top, by the distributor), The push rod seals (bottom at the case and head), The oil cooler (front, passenger side of engine), valve covers. These are the common ones. Good luck and (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
'70PVW914
post Nov 3 2013, 11:33 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 16,594
Region Association: Rocky Mountains

Thanks alot guys. I will upload some pics as soon as I get it jacked up this week. The previous owner stated the engine was completely rebuilt (a 2.0 with IDF 44 Carbs) however, it seems to be leaking quite a bit and I am beginning to question how good a job he did (IMG:style_emoticons/default/WTF.gif) Will have MANY more posts as I uncover the issues this car is bound to have.....super super fun to drive in the meantime! Here's a pic!Attached Image
+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th September 2024 - 05:30 PM