Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cracked piston skirt for a big bore kit: machine or replace?
Java2570
post Apr 2 2014, 11:06 PM
Post #21

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,035
Region Association: Upper MidWest

You could put a WTB ad here in the classifieds, I'd bet someone might have one
KS piston or a full set of Mahle 94mm pistons. I see used sets all the time on Samba or ebay but typically people try to sell them for too much. You can certainly get
a new set for a good price.....AA has 94mm sets for budget builds and the afore-mentioned European Motorworks has 96mm pistons and cylinders for not much more.
I would never put a broken part back in an engine, too much risk.....and since you are budget minded, why spend more on another rebuild when that broken part fails.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
stugray
post Apr 2 2014, 11:07 PM
Post #22

Advanced Member

Member No.: 10,819
Region Association: None

I checked my stash and I have:
94mm piston & cyl set - all good
93mm piston & cyl set - one piston with very tight wrist pin
90mm pistons only - all good

So I dont have just one oddball 94mm
+Quote Post
jaxdream
post Apr 3 2014, 08:16 AM
Post #23

Member No.: 9,270
Region Association: South East States

QUOTE(Johny Blackstain @ Apr 2 2014, 05:26 PM) *

I'm gonna go out on limb here & be politically incorrect & say screw the paperweight, make it an ashtray.

I got a couple of Harley pistons as ashtrays ......
1 900 Sportster , 1 61cui Panhead

Jack

p.s. yeah make an ashtray out of it , or paperweight....YMMV
+Quote Post
TheCabinetmaker
post Apr 3 2014, 08:41 AM
Post #24

I drive my car everyday

Member No.: 666

Heck man, I've got a used one I'll send you for the price of postage, or a set of 4 for 50 bucks.
+Quote Post
HalfMoon
post Apr 3 2014, 05:22 PM
Post #25

Member No.: 15,144
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

I agree. And I'm sorry if you got a browbeating over what was/is a valid question. Don't let the naysayers rule your curiosity friend.
Actually, back in the day when we were making go fast Triumph dragster bikes, it was fairly common to chop the skirts thus reducing piston mass to gain some piston speed. If you chopped off all the skirts so that each piston weighed the same this would work. Durability and or longevity? Well that's quite hard to say.
And remember this....there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

QUOTE(porkchopexpress @ Apr 3 2014, 12:09 AM) *

Seems as though most people didn't read the full post. My bottom line question was can I machine off all the slipper skirts so all the pistons match. If that wasn't clear, then that's on me and my bad. I have seen several new big bore kits that have pistons that do not have those slipper skirts so it seemed like a valid question.

Consensus seems to be, "bad idea"

Additionally, I am doing all of this on a budget. Would love to have the cash to send an engine out to one of the guru's on here and have them do it for me, but for now, that's just not in the budget. And in case you didn't notice the "Newbie" designation, I still have a lot to learn. And I enjoy learning so its great to ask about these things to try to figure out what I can, or am willing, to do myself.

I am all for being sarcastic, and can take and dish with anyone.... just wish some of you might have added something valuable to say along with it. Even if its "no clue"

Next time I will be less likely to ask, which sucks.

+Quote Post
malcolm2
post Apr 3 2014, 07:13 PM
Post #26

Advanced Member

Member No.: 13,139
Region Association: South East States

So you say the piston diameter is 94mm? It started life as a 1.7?

Check this out:

engine calculator

plug in 94 and 66 for the stroke and hit the displacement button.... 1832cc? you know 1.7 was a 1679 cc with 90mm pistons and the 66 mm crank.

2.0 liter has the 71mm crank... plug that in with the 96mm pistons....

You can go to 1911 with the 66mm crank like you said with a little head work. But they are off anyway, so touch them up.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Johny Blackstain
post Apr 3 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #27

Walnut Elite Stratocaster player

Member No.: 7,318

QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Apr 3 2014, 07:22 PM) *

I agree. And I'm sorry if you got a browbeating over what was/is a valid question. Don't let the naysayers rule your curiosity friend.
Actually, back in the day when we were making go fast Triumph dragster bikes, it was fairly common to chop the skirts thus reducing piston mass to gain some piston speed. If you chopped off all the skirts so that each piston weighed the same this would work. Durability and or longevity? Well that's quite hard to say.
And remember this....there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif) & if you machine 1, you have to machine them all (balance). How this will hold up I have no clue. I'd take Curt "the cabinetmaker" up on his offer & pay for postage. Seems to be the easiest/cheapest solution by far. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post
Dr Evil
post Apr 4 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #28

Send me your transmission!

Member No.: 1,372

Hey man,

Dont take people too seriously around here. If there are two ways to take a comment, and one is joking and the other is mean, 99.99% of the time we all mean the former not the latter.

Your question will become humerus to you once you stick around and learn a few things. Dont be put off. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/welcome.png)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th September 2024 - 11:16 AM