Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A question about a 2270
lapuwali
post Jan 17 2005, 06:03 PM
Post #21

Not another one!

Group: Benefactors
Member No.: 1,743

QUOTE (SLKWrx @ Jan 17 2005, 03:52 PM)
QUOTE (rhodyguy @ Jan 17 2005, 11:01 AM)
i don't have a 2270... but a few things to consider first. how do you plan on delivering fuel to the engine? f.i or carbs? which f.i? do you plan on running heat exchangers or going to headers? there are a number of things to consider BEFORE you settle on the displacement you want.

kevin

Those are all good questions.. Things I should have thought out earlier. For right now, I have carbs for the car, but I was thinking of going f.i. if I did the 2270. I was just thinking about using D-Jet.. is there a much better way to go? Also, I was planning on having heat exchangers since the car will be street driven a bit. I was already planning an oil cooler.. maybe not as extensive as a front mounted one, but I am still early in the process.

The reason I was considering the 2270 is because I'll need new cylinders and pistons.. I figured I'd find out if the 2270 was easier than I thought, because then I'd just go for the 96mm's. I can't see much benefit to going with anything above 94's w/o increasing the stroke.

Back to the drawing board.. seems like I just can't get a foothold on where to start anymore.

You're not going to get D-Jet to work with a 2270. You'll need to use aftermarket EFI, or stick with carbs.

96mm with the 2.0 stroke gives 2056cc, which is a mild bump over the stock 2.0 size, and aftermarket 96mm parts are cheaper than stock replacement parts, generally. I believe you can get a 2056 to work with D-Jet.
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
r_towle
post Jan 17 2005, 06:07 PM
Post #22

Custom Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 124
Region Association: North East States

If you are starting with a 2.0 liter and you have all (ALL) the fins on your current cylinders, get them honed out to 96mm and get new pistons.

You will want to rework the rods if you had slap to begin with, also check the rod clearance on the existing crank before you remove the rods.

If you find to much play, you will need to take a really good look at the crank to ensure its a good base to build from.

I have a friend that has a very strong 2.6 liter motor with cast iron cylinder...never had oil cooling other than stock, but now he does....it goes about 5-7k before a refresh...

But, a properly cooled 2270 or larger have been built in europe for many years, lots of info across the pond and lots of experienced builders that have done it all, you name it they have built it.

Rich
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 17 2005, 06:13 PM
Post #23

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Actually, the TIV is falling off in Germany these days.

With the new laws and etc in the fatherland many tuners that were once on top of the world have fallen off or went out of business.

Even in their day the Germans didn't do alot with small bores. They were into short stroke large bore engines with super long duration cams and hardly any lift. This was great for high speeds on the Autobahn but wasn't very good for acceleration...

The 2270 may have been done in a multitude of locations, but it was perfected right here under my roof- Thats a guarantee. I have 107 different proven combinations of 2270 and have used that base for more R&D than anything else combined.
+Quote Post
Bleyseng
post Jan 17 2005, 06:58 PM
Post #24

Aircooled Baby!

Member No.: 24
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

QUOTE (lapuwali @ Jan 17 2005, 04:03 PM)

96mm with the 2.0 stroke gives 2056cc, which is a mild bump over the stock 2.0 size, and aftermarket 96mm parts are cheaper than stock replacement parts, generally. I believe you can get a 2056 to work with D-Jet.

Djet works just fine with a 2056cc, atleast mine has for 5 years. I have dyno'd it at 95hp at the rear wheels.

Geoff
+Quote Post
newdeal2
post Jan 17 2005, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Unregistered

QUOTE (Jake Raby @ Jan 17 2005, 08:37 AM)
All Type IV engines are about to become alot easier and more affordable to create....

Trust me......

We are down to the single digits and counting for the big unveiling!

Jake,

This sounds promising. After sucessfully building a semi stock 2.0 I think I am ready to consider building one of your 2270 kits. When will the details and pricing be available? Will you be providing cores?
+Quote Post
Jake Raby
post Jan 17 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #26

Engine Surgeon

Member No.: 1,095
Region Association: South East States

Patience Jedi..

It all will be self explanatory very soon!

The custom aspect of the kits is gone forever, but they will still be 100% dynamically balanced like always and will have all machine and clearance work done for you

I still have not made my mind up on doing case machine work, but I am leaning towards doing it for an added charge only on the 2270 and larger kits, or simply providing very detailed instructions and tools to do it all yourself.

Case work really bogs my machines down.
+Quote Post

2 Pages V < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2024 - 11:40 PM