Home  |  Forums  |  914 Info  |  Blogs

914World.com - The fastest growing online 914 community!

Porsche, and the Porsche crest are registered trademarks of Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG. This site is not affiliated with Porsche in any way.
Its only purpose is to provide an online forum for car enthusiasts. All other trademarks are property of their respective owners.

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Starting to Lose My 914 Stoke
Larmo63
post Jul 10 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #1

Advanced Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,068
Region Association: Southern California

I bought the yellow '73 in March, and have done a lot of work and replaced a lot of parts on it. I'm starting to think I'm plugging holes on the Titanic. If it's not one thing, it's another. I should have started with a better car(?) I should sell it and buy a better one(?) I'm at that juncture and need to make a decision. What to do..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif)
User is offlineProfile CardPM
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 10 2014, 06:57 PM
Post #2

The youngin'

Member No.: 16,784
Region Association: North East States

Im at the same point right now with my '74-I know
Depends on the condition. Could you post a few pictures? And what good/whats bad...
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 10 2014, 07:01 PM
Post #3

Advanced Member

I know it's a labor of love with these things, but sheesh....
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 10 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #4

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Please be more specific. Have you started with a solid car? Are things falling off at speed on the freeway? If its a matter of updating a 40 year old example, that's one thing. If it's shedding rust, then that's different.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

You're always gonna be dickin' around with these things. But slowly, you start to realize there's less of that going on. And you're driving it more...
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 10 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #5

The youngin'

i have to replace the longs...and do everything else
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 10 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #6

Advanced Member

Can't get the exhaust to seal properly to the heads. Clutch is iffy. Right suspension console is crusty/soft. Jack points bad. Still runs rough after lots of dough put into it. Vacuum/exhaust leaks drive me nuts. I should have just cleaned it and turned it, but I'm buried a bit in it now.
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 10 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #7

Advanced Member

The "Little Bastard"
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i983.photobucket.com-17068-1405041252.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 10 2014, 07:14 PM
Post #8

The youngin'

Looks in okay shape. I say you could probably sell it for about $3000-$4500, give or take. I'd take the wheels and give you sport wheels...? (pm if interested)
+Quote Post
poorsche914
post Jul 10 2014, 07:21 PM
Post #9

T4 Supercharged

Member No.: 10,419
Region Association: South East States

Step away from it for a week or month or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) and return with a (hopefully) fresh perspective and new desire to work on the 914.

I have done that in the past. Took me a year to get my LE running after I bought it. Lot of time spent not working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)
+Quote Post
dudzy's914
post Jul 10 2014, 07:30 PM
Post #10

The youngin'

If you want to work on a 914 and have the skills to do the things needed to be done, this is a great car, with not a a whole lot of work. if you want a 914 that is pretty much(this means maybe some, seals or minor stuff) plug and play, id say sell this car and add $4500 and wait for the right deal.
+Quote Post
Porschef
post Jul 10 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #11

How you doin'

Member No.: 12,152

Poorsche's right. Step away from the vehicle.

How many cars from the mid 70's are still on the road? There's a reason for that...they're pretty primitive. And most were a downright disaster. How bout a Vega, or a MustangII, or a (IMG:style_emoticons/default/barf.gif) Volarè...Better?

These cars arefun. It's a hobby. If you're looking for more, well, (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) Enjoy it for what it is.

It looks good.
+Quote Post
BeatNavy
post Jul 10 2014, 07:32 PM
Post #12

Certified Professional Scapegoat

Member No.: 17,042
Region Association: MidAtlantic Region

QUOTE(poorsche914 @ Jul 10 2014, 09:21 PM) *

Step away from it for a week or month or (IMG:style_emoticons/default/confused24.gif) and return with a (hopefully) fresh perspective and new desire to work on the 914.

I have done that in the past. Took me a year to get my LE running after I bought it. Lot of time spent not working on it (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dry.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/driving.gif)

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/agree.gif)

Hang in there dude. I went through similar thoughts recently on my '72 that had been sitting in someone's yard for a long time. I got it running pretty quickly and I thought "it only gets better from here." But, not surprising, all that stuff that has been waiting to break for 15 years started breaking. And it felt like every time I made progress on something something else would break and take me two steps backwards (clutch tube, ignition, starter, etc.). You'll eventually catch up with it all and make progress again. If you can afford to, step away for a bit.
+Quote Post
914_teener
post Jul 10 2014, 08:10 PM
Post #13

914 Guru

Member No.: 9,489

QUOTE(Larmo63 @ Jul 10 2014, 06:12 PM) *

Can't get the exhaust to seal properly to the heads. Clutch is iffy. Right suspension console is crusty/soft. Jack points bad. Still runs rough after lots of dough put into it. Vacuum/exhaust leaks drive me nuts. I should have just cleaned it and turned it, but I'm buried a bit in it now.

Suspension console is crusty?

Jack Points are bad?

These are the costly ones.....from what I remember from your posts...this is the car you found out in our famous dessert. You didn't ever pull the valances to inspect the longs?

The other stuff you mention is easy.

Report back....

+Quote Post
McMark
post Jul 10 2014, 08:12 PM
Post #14

914 Freak!

Group: Retired Admin
Member No.: 419
Region Association: None

Perhaps your exhaust is bent. You also have to tighten the bolts down a little at a time all the way around for them to sit nice. You should also 'jiggle' the exhaust as you tighten to help everything settle into place.

914s have some little tricks that make them finicky. A 'typical' mechanic doesn't usually have the patience to be methodical and pay attention to details.
+Quote Post
914itis
post Jul 10 2014, 08:53 PM
Post #15

Advanced Member

Member No.: 12,256

QUOTE(Porschef @ Jul 10 2014, 09:02 PM) *

Please be more specific. Have you started with a solid car? Are things falling off at speed on the freeway? If its a matter of updating a 40 year old example, that's one thing. If it's shedding rust, then that's different.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif)

You're always gonna be dickin' around with these things. But slowly, you start to realize there's less of that going on. And you're driving it more...

I agree , I have completed just about everything on the 6, i drive it every time i have a chance at least once a week, it's not the same i am bored, I had to go and get another one to mess with.
My point is the fun is in the repair / restore.

Make it driveable and repair as you go along.
+Quote Post
funk
post Jul 10 2014, 09:58 PM
Post #16

Member No.: 17,531
Region Association: Pacific Northwest

well now looks like someone gave her a good make up job to make her all spiffy leave her and look for a solid roller put all your stuff you can from that car to a restorable roller that will be worth while.all these folks saying these cars are far from techno aren't seeing the beauty in mechanical simplicity. you can make a daily driver out of a 914 and a reliable one at that. look at all the vws out there folks driven them from coast to coast for years (same engine) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) !! stick with it you'll get there get books learn go on sites learn!! find a mechanic buddy learn!!
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 10 2014, 11:40 PM
Post #17

Advanced Member

Thanks for the encouragement. The thing that really grabs you by the balls in these cars is the way they drive. I've had 356's, a 912, driven 911's and BMWs, but NOTHING drives like one of these little cars. I want to stick with it, but it's frustrating. I do have to pull the valances to inspect the longs and that prospect is scary. Outta sight, outta mind. (not outta mind when I'm driving it 80mph on the freeway) I do have to make a decision, and I DO love these machines. 914s are awesome, and kind of a "well kept secret" of sportscars.
+Quote Post
mgp4591
post Jul 10 2014, 11:48 PM
Post #18

914 Guru

Member No.: 14,748
Region Association: Intermountain Region

Almost everyone has bad jack points, I'm not sure what a suspension console is, and vacuum/exhaust leaks are easier to fix than rust and a clutch is a clutch. Doesn't sound too bad to me, plus you knew the job was dangerous when you took it... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post
Larmo63
post Jul 10 2014, 11:54 PM
Post #19

Advanced Member

I actually DIDN'T know what I was getting into when I bought it. I didn't know that I would fall in love with it. I thought I would get it running and flip it.

How it looked when found:
(IMG:http://www.914world.com/bbs2/uploads_offsite/i983.photobucket.com-17068-1405058169.1.jpg)
+Quote Post
Hank914
post Jul 11 2014, 12:01 AM
Post #20

Member No.: 17,215
Region Association: None

QUOTE(funk @ Jul 10 2014, 08:58 PM) *

well now looks like someone gave her a good make up job to make her all spiffy leave her and look for a solid roller put all your stuff you can from that car to a restorable roller that will be worth while.all these folks saying these cars are far from techno aren't seeing the beauty in mechanical simplicity. you can make a daily driver out of a 914 and a reliable one at that. look at all the vws out there folks driven them from coast to coast for years (same engine) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/headbang.gif) !! stick with it you'll get there get books learn go on sites learn!! find a mechanic buddy learn!!

I agree in seeing the beauty in these. Some love to wrench the mechanical simplicity. Others like me enjoy the driving. I get 27-30mpg (Dellortos) and covered 1275 miles last weekend and go between 1500 and 5000 miles a month. When you get the mechanicals up to speed it's just miles of smiles, rain, snow or sun. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/shades.gif)
+Quote Post

2 Pages V  1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:28 PM